Buying the next update of ED (Odyssey)

If you had asked me three years ago whether I had any doubts about buying the next ED update when it eventually comes, I'd have said that I had few concerns and I was eager, with positive expectations. That sounds so childish and naive to my ears now.

Jump forward to the present day and I'm very, VERY doubtful I'll be buying Odyssey after the console release.

I'm simply staggered to think that such a massive change of heart has happened to me about a game that I have loved for decades, across its various iterations. Literally half my lifetime.

It's quite literally in the same league as believing that my first marriage was for life and the subsequent fallout (divorce) after you find out about the adultery (I'm now married for a third time).

I look back and wonder how in the name of Holy 🍪s did this happen to me! How did I become so jaundiced about Elite?

I skipped the alpha thinking I've been waiting years for dlc, I want a nice polished experience.... Sweet summer child I was.
I can only say that you probably have more faith than me... "I want a nice polished experience". I deliberately went into buying the Alpha as a test bed to see how EDO played. After phase 3 of the Alpha I then refunded through Steam.

I've also tried to determine what I would have done if EDO had been released without an Alpha phase (as many DLCs are). I have a hard time figuring that out but I think I would have waited until launch and seen which way the wind was blowing. Which makes me wonder about the lies that the CMs said about the alpha being an old branch. The take home for me is definitely 'wait and see'.

You guys have been around the last few years, I have no idea what y'alls excuse for not seeing this coming is. Granted, even I fell for the promises of improved planet tech . . .

o7
Oh I did, as far as anyone can see into the future. But I'm a sceptical female dog after a lifetime of disappointments.

I can only say that you probably have more faith than me... "I want a nice polished experience". I deliberately went into buying the Alpha as a test bed to see how EDO played. After phase 3 of the Alpha I then refunded through Steam.

I've also tried to determine what I would have done if EDO had been released without an Alpha phase (as many DLCs are). I have a hard time figuring that out but I think I would have waited until launch and seen which way the wind was blowing. Which makes me wonder about the lies that the CMs said about the alpha being an old branch. The take home for me is definitely 'wait and see'.
I knew in the back of my mind it was going to be rough. I just never imagined it would be as bad as it was. I think of the patience and hope I had in prior years, the purchases of ship kits and paints to help support development. As critical as I am I still like the game itself and still play Odyssey as gimped horizons, my playtime is becoming less and less though since it released. Going to start devoting more and more of my Elite time to more rewarding experiences but will still play on some low effort level. Until I find something with a better flight model and combat it keeps me coming back even after all these years.

I knew in the back of my mind it was going to be rough. I just never imagined it would be as bad as it was. I think of the patience and hope I had in prior years, the purchases of ship kits and paints to help support development. As critical as I am I still like the game itself and still play Odyssey as gimped horizons, my playtime is becoming less and less though since it released. Going to start devoting more and more of my Elite time to more rewarding experiences but will still play on some low effort level. Until I find something with a better flight model and combat it keeps me coming back even after all these years.

I could have written that myself.

...last big fail I was doing 350 000ly trip. So now I just started it again in reverse direction :D Hope it will be settled when I'm back.
P.S. It's pretty fun all those flowers in fact, I like it.

Well I'm pleased to hear that you are continuing to play (although I'd personally refuse to play in EDO, only in EDH, so that at least see the poor server time it's getting).

For me, I've unplugged my hotas.

My wife hasn't noticed yet but I know what her reaction will be... 🤨

PS and I'm playing learning Stellaris instead.

Well I'm pleased to hear that you are continuing to play (although I'd personally refuse to play in EDO, only in EDH, so that at least see the poor server time it's getting).

My wife hasn't noticed yet but I know what her reaction will be... 🤨

PS and I'm playing Stellaris instead.
I really enjoy the Odyssey combat effects and my space performance hasn't suffered (Mostly). I am even partial to the occasional foot CZ although teams and performance are both not working out so I only do one a week to see if the experience has improved. IF they can get it running smooth it's something I would do more often. The planet tech has ruined planet exploration for me however, not that I did much as I consider myself a combat pilot first but I did go on a big exploration bender when Odyssey dropped and I realized my foot fps was pants for missions and cz figured I would go check out the new planet tech and work on exploration rank. What an utter disappointment that was. I will go back out at some point to just finish off explo rank for my triple Elite but I will be avoiding landing and just fss and map.

Keep playing EDH. We may soon never have the chance again, and it can help sway 's decision to execute EDH.

I really enjoy the Odyssey combat effects and my space performance hasn't suffered (Mostly). . . . The planet tech has ruined planet exploration for me however . . .

You should play EDH too. Are the extra combat FX worth signaling to that EDO is acceptable?

Our chances of saving EDH from getting EDO'd may be slim, but we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Keep playing EDH. We may soon never have the chance again, and it can help sway 's decision to execute EDH.

You should play EDH too. Are the extra combat FX worth signaling to that EDO is acceptable?

Our chances of saving EDH from getting EDO'd may be slim, but we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Considering I bought it im going to get the most for my money in addition to being able to instance with some friends who also use it. They've gotten plenty of critical flak from me and I have added my voice to the pile of negative reviews warning people off. That will have to suffice.

Fair point. I can't argue with that.

It took a kickstarter to resurrect Elite with the ED iteration. If shelve ED in favour of putting the development towards another title, there is no idea when or if another Elite title will happen.

Is that some kind of bowel surgery?

That depends upon the future direction that EDO/H takes.
I really enjoy the Odyssey combat effects and my space performance hasn't suffered (Mostly). I am even partial to the occasional foot CZ...
I'm not like @Iron Golem who a least enjoys the on foot pew pew. For me, I'm left mostly stone cold. It's just not a direction that I care for.

The pathetic bone that threw the Explorers with the mini-twitch game (and is now just a button press) doesn't cut it for me and just illustrated how far off-beam they are with understanding the exploration communities mindset. A twitch based mechanic is the last thing you want to put in their way! [and was the last straw for me personally]. So, for me, there needs to be a change of direction away from going head-to-head with the game that shall not be named. Sadly, I can't see that kind of course correction happening within .

So while you make a valid point that I should plug my hotas back in and at least make it to the David and Goliath mountain range I was heading towards, I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm.

Source: https://youtu.be/hclDhWDzDWc

Last edited:
I look back and wonder how in the name of Holy 🍪s did this happen to me! How did I become so jaundiced about Elite?
You always have positive memories of things that you liked to do as a child, as an adult you enjoy reliving beautiful things from childhood. That is the reason why McDonalds makes special efforts to make restaurants suitable for children.

You always have positive memories of things that you liked to do as a child, as an adult you enjoy reliving beautiful things from childhood. That is the reason why McDonalds makes special efforts to make restaurants suitable for children.
While I get your analogy here, I didn't have a childhood with 'beautiful things' to relive, [my childhood was a long emotional scar that even years of counselling hasn't made any significant dent in but you are not here to find out about that] and while I have had some fun times in ED, it has been mixed with equal measures of frustration.

As for McDonald's... Argh! Ghastly place! It has to be the last option before I'd walk through that door again.

I'v had 6 1/2 years value for money playing ED/Horizons since day 1.

I had no hesitation in paying £40 for the pre order Deluxe DLC, despite that I wasn't even sure it would start up on my i5 GTX 1050 laptop.
Amazingly it ran.....hot, but it ran. FPS maxed @ 30 & dropped into the teens in Settlements, but Iv played & enjoyed every day since launched.

Purchased a i7 RTX 2060 laptop last week, games even better now. Constant 60 FPS everywhere & a drop to 40 when in a Frontline CZ (which I'm not likely to do now Iv got my Engineer invite).
Yeah, I could tinker around with the settings, if I knew what I was doing, but if it ain't broke.....

It's not put me off pre-ordering from Frontier, as I'v been here soo long I know what they are capable of when it comes to updates & new stuff;)

If you had asked me three years ago whether I had any doubts about buying the next ED update when it eventually comes, I'd have said that I had few concerns and I was eager, with positive expectations. That sounds so childish and naive to my ears now.

Jump forward to the present day and I'm very, VERY doubtful I'll be buying Odyssey after the console release.

I'm simply staggered to think that such a massive change of heart has happened to me about a game that I have loved for decades, across its various iterations. Literally half my lifetime.

It's quite literally in the same league as believing that my first marriage was for life and the subsequent fallout (divorce) after you find out about the adultery (I'm now married for a third time).

No idea. I never got married, but I'm still with the same girlfriend I fell in love with 26 years ago.

Top Bottom