Discussion Can a commander Opt-Out of being mentioned in the API/Logs?

We have several tools out there that gather information from Journal/Logs, like EDSM for example. It´s often the case that personal identifiable Data from a third person is mentioned in the logfiles that were used.

Means:

Commander A wants to use Tool X. Tool X requires an upload of logfiles.
Commander A has a friendslist and meets a fellow Commander, CMDR B in space
Commander A loads up data to EDSM, INCLUDING the name of Commander B, who may not know that his personal data is used from Commander A and Tool X.
Problem here: Commander B does not want to have his data published by a different commander somewhere. And commander B of course didnt agree to have Commander A publishing his data to Tool X.

Is there any chance for Commander B to avoid it at the moment?

I don't see how Cmdr B info is published by EDSM in your scenario. How would this happen?

This tool does look upCmdr B's name on a 3rd-party's website, but I don’t think that counts as publishing.

Last edited:
Cmdr B is a fictional character name used in a game. Cmdr B is not a legal entity and has no rights.

Last edited:
I don't see how Cmdr B info is published by EDSM in your scenario. How would this happen?

This tool does look upCmdr B's name on a 3rd-party's website, but I don’t think that counts as publishing.

EDSM was just an example. After examining the link you provided this is exactly the case I meant in the OP. I just realized that every player in Open is sent to this website. I am not 100 % certain that everyone who is involved has an idea what happens with his commander name - especially in that case.

To be more precise:

Commander B does not even know Tool X and therefore he didnt give the OK to have his commander name published.

Last edited:
This is complicated a little bit. The nicknames of other commanders should be there, because it is a part of information for the data "owner". For example an information "cmdr X was killed by cmdr Y" loses its weight for commander X without the cmdr Y's name and there is no reason to remove it, because he saw in the game anyway and he knows who was cmdr Y. So why it shouldn't be in the logs?

The other thing is how is this information processed. Publishing the names and actions of other commander without their knowledge may be a grey area. For example, on Inara is this kind of information processed for combat logs. But, these combat logs are visible just to the data owner, so nobody else may see who killed/interdicted him or who was his target. In my opinion, this is a way how to "safely" handle this and all other usage of this data for stuff like "top PvP player", "top griefer", "top innocents" and anything between should usually require a consent of commanders involved. Unless it is handled directly by FD and it is part of the game (like upcoming karma system). But, this is complicated in cases of various semi-private KoS lists... are they a personal information of some player or group of players? Is it OK when player's data is shared between friends? How large this group of friends should be until it will be considered as near-public? Grey area...

Last edited:
Top Bottom