Can PC run and not be connected to Steam?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that wants to get PC, but he typically plays his PC games while off the grid when he is camping (in a trailer), but doesn't have access to Wi-Fi or internet connection. Can he play the game while not having connection to Steam? or do we know if there will be a box version of the game to buy?

All you have to do to test this is unplug you internet and try to run PC

I dont remember who but someone from frontier said you only need a connection on first run to make sure the key is correct.

Last edited:
I have a friend that wants to get PC, but he typically plays his PC games while off the grid when he is camping (in a trailer), but doesn't have access to Wi-Fi or internet connection. Can he play the game while not having connection to Steam? or do we know if there will be a box version of the game to buy?

You can play off line, but you have to have an internet connection to get the steam client, game, and updates. Once you have done this you can go to the offline mode.

As far as I know, there are no plans for a boxed version of the game. It's download only.

The game requires you to go online once after every update (for the Denuvo activation) but is supposed to play nicely with Steam's offline mode. I've tried playing without an internet connection in Alpha 3 without any issues, though it wasn't for long.

Yeah no problem playing offline and it will only know there is an update if it's connected to the internet as it's offline which means it won't randomly stop as long as your friend doesn't connect laptop to the internet without updating it. So for instance using free wifi in a cafe then he would need to update it then as steam would auto check for updates unless he disables it in the options under steam.

I have found that it occasionally hiccups in offline mode. I play mine allot on my layovers at work (railway conductor/gaurd depending on what side of the pond you live on) and the wifi on the train is unreliable. I find that if I try to start planet coaster in offline mode, about 1 out of 5 tries I get an error saying steam can not connect, check your internet connection or contact your system admin, than try again.

I get this message when trying to launch planet coaster from the desktop. Only solution I have found is to use my phone as a hotspot, let it talk to stem, than once Denuvo? has verified it as ok, I can put stem in off line mode and play the game.

Last edited:
Once you have updated and verified you shouldn't have a problem running in offline mode in steam. I have run alpha 3 in offline mode quite a bit (I have limited monthly data so I minimize it's use by going into off line mode). It works just fine. Njstern87 describes what happens when steam tries to connect and can't (has little to with the game being run....it's within steam). Usually, there is a button that says something about going to "offline" mode. If you click that, steam restarts without trying to connect. I have had to restart my computer once when steam kept giving me the error and wouldn't accept my "go offline" click. But usually, steam restarts and doesn't try to go online once you click that button. You can manually force steam into offline mode, by selecting "go offline..." under the file menu.

Most steam games (I have more than 100) will run in offline mod pretty well. Of course multiplayer games are kind of useless when you aren't connected (unless you have a local network off the internet).

I think you should be fine running PC off grid. But why are you playing a computer game while camping in the great outdoors? Get out and have some fun! <teasing>

Narad

What everyone said above is correct. Customers have the right to play digitally brought games offline. I remember when Microsoft before Xbox One came out were thinking about mandatory 24 hour check ins with Xbox Live, but they scrapped that policy because too many people complained about it. The internet infrastructure, and the servers companies use and service worldwide, and ISP's, aren't perfect and aren't always reliable. People may live in small towns or rural areas. And many people rock off 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi signals on their home networks. I think everyone in my suburb has 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz Wi-Fi. Ethernet cables are not long enough and are a tripping hazard. Especially when you have multiple devices connected to your home network, cause mobile data can be expensive compared to home network.

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
Ethernet cables are not long enough and are a tripping hazard. Especially when you have multiple devices connected to your home network, cause mobile data can be expensive compared to home network.

That's where Powerline Ethernet adaptors come in handy. You can pick up a pair pretty cheap and the connection is rock solid.

SUPER disappointed in their decision to use this DRM. Also super disappointed in them locking all discussion about it.

Care to back up that claim with some evidence?

All the other threads on the Denuvo discussions have been locked for discussion on piracy. Even though no discussion on how to pirate it, or other games ensued. Just that people did not like the DRM.

I do not like it either. I feel DRM is unnecessarily restrictive to legitimate users.

All the other threads on the Denuvo discussions have been locked for discussion on piracy. Even though no discussion on how to pirate it, or other games ensued. Just that people did not like the DRM.

I do not like it either. I feel DRM is unnecessarily restrictive to legitimate users.

They were locked not because of the complaints against Denuvo, they were locked because it evolved into a discussion of piracy and one person subtly even hinted that if Denuvo was not used, that he himself would pirate the game.

Last edited:
They were locked not because of the complaints against Denuvo, they were locked because they were discussing piracy and one person even hinted that if Denuvo was not used, that he himself would pirate the game.

This +1 I remember that and was not surprised to see.

They were locked not because of the complaints against Denuvo, they were locked because it evolved into a discussion of piracy and one person subtly even hinted that if Denuvo was not used, that he himself would pirate the game.

Wouldn't it be easier just to remove that one post then? Seems a little to convenient to me.

Frontier doesn't run their forum like Atari runs theirs.

Hmm. My post disappeared when I tried to post it again.

I will try to paraphrase (again). It appears on the outside that the admin/mod team is blocking discussion on the unfortunate implementation of restrictive DRM. They are using a lose enforcement of the rules that could simply be used against a single poster, rather than nuking the whole thread on it.

I am also confused wh yyou brought up Atari in this.

I will try to paraphrase (again). It appears on the outside that the admin/mod team is blocking discussion on the unfortunate implementation of restrictive DRM. They are using a lose enforcement of the rules that could simply be used against a single poster, rather than nuking the whole thread on it.

Ignoring Atari being brought up, but the thread broke the rules and the thread was locked but it is there for all to see. They are not hiding it and I think you are just looking for a reason to bring it up because you don't like DRM.

There are a few other threads about it as well. It has been shown time and again to be no issue and to be completely irrelevant to the user playing the game as there is no performance hit and (assuming you have got a proper copy) no reason to be worried about it.

Sorry but the argument for not having it "because you don't like people protecting their work" for me is a non starter.

Edit: And no one is making your post disappear. If you are having forum issues there is a sub forum for this but you are the first person to suggest this is happening. A mod will always post here should something be removed and give a reason so they are not being deleted by a mod or anything.

Last edited:

I brought up Atari because when threads exist that they don't like, they post a notice that the thread is closed for maintenance which I believe is Atari speak for purge since after the maintenance the thread is usually trimmed way down or deleted entirely. Plus how can you close selected threads for maintenance and not the whole forum?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom