Can we sort out some SLF crew QoL issues and inconsistencies pls.

The SLF pilot dies if your ship is destroyed not the SLF itself. The SLF is piloted by telepresence (remote control) from your ship.

I am a victim of my own forgetfulness on countless occasions and maybe remember to activate my pilot half the time I leave port!

Thanks.

What if the crew is not active when the ship is destroyed?

What if I my FDL gets destroyed which has no SLF? Does that kill the crew?

I'm assuming not in both cases but I've assumed stuff before and been wrong...better to know for sure.

Thanks.

What if the crew is not active when the ship is destroyed?

What if I my FDL gets destroyed which has no SLF? Does that kill the crew?

I'm assuming not in both cases but I've assumed stuff before and been wrong...better to know for sure.

No, they have to be active for your ships destruction to kill them. Otherwise they're sitting back in the starport bar laughing at your failure while drinking a cocktail at your expense!

Unless you really want a trained up pilot with a rank greater than Expert a lot of players just hire and fire Expert pilots from the Crew lounge as they require them.

Thanks for confirming.

I'm, actually thinking that might be the best thing....hire and fire as you need them otherwise they sit there soaking up your profits.

When your ship is destroyed, your NPC crew should survive but charge you a "hazard pay" fee that gets added to your rebuy. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay it, they leave your employment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Make the fee double every time it happens, or make the pilot quit in frustration after the third time if you want to add consequence. ("No way I'm getting on a ship with CMDR Catastrophe at the helm. I quit!")

Of course, I'm still trying to figure out why there are still four crew slots when there's only one NPC seat max available on any given ship. Is it so you can keep the cute ones on retainer...? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm, actually thinking that might be the best thing....hire and fire as you need them otherwise they sit there soaking up your profits.
I used to think that too, but I've trained my SLF pilot from Harmless to Elite. She's now pretty effective and a bit of a lifesaver. Since I trained from Harmless, she only takes 10% too!

I agree that whilst inactive the pilot should perhaps take half their "active percentage", and I also agree some consistency would be nice. It's taken quite a while for me to train my SLF pilot and it would be a crying shame if she got killed. I love the idea of having them eject with you and then having to pay a sum on top of your rebuy. Nice idea!

Whilst we're at it though, I'd also rather like if they sat next to me on my bridge, and also had a holo-me so I could change their appearance...

I used to think that too, but I've trained my SLF pilot from Harmless to Elite. She's now pretty effective and a bit of a lifesaver. Since I trained from Harmless, she only takes 10% too!

I agree that whilst inactive the pilot should perhaps take half their "active percentage", and I also agree some consistency would be nice. It's taken quite a while for me to train my SLF pilot and it would be a crying shame if she got killed. I love the idea of having them eject with you and then having to pay a sum on top of your rebuy. Nice idea!

Whilst we're at it though, I'd also rather like if they sat next to me on my bridge, and also had a holo-me so I could change their appearance...

Yeah, see them siting next to me would be nice - they have an avatar so I assume this is possible.

I also like the increased hazard payment rather than perma death on rebuy.

Not sure about changing their appearance...I know some of them are fugly but do you mean change clothing / cosmetics or change facial features?

Now hold up there a minute OP.
You can't come in here with your logic and big words upsetting the apple cart. There are perfectly reasonable explanations why a lot of things in this game make no sense.
Get with the program.

Make the fee double every time it happens, or make the pilot quit in frustration after the third time if you want to add consequence. ("No way I'm getting on a ship with CMDR Catastrophe at the helm. I quit!")

Yes, there's a lot of cool ways this relationship could be made quite realistic. You could even speculate that taking on that one last Anaconda before you head for home (low on ammo) would be a joint decision, what could possibly go wrong?

Of course, I'm still trying to figure out why there are still four crew slots when there's only one NPC seat max available on any given ship. Is it so you can keep the cute ones on retainer...? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Basically yes :p

Thanks for confirming.

A Cmdr I fly with has given over a billion credits to his long term pilot... :eek:

Pilots die when your ship is destroyed as if they are on-board. Yet you can travel to a different system without a pilot on-board but activate them immediately from the local crew lounge.

So where are they? :S

Annoyance 1. If you have used a ship that doesn't support SLF your pilot is returned to the crew lounge and set inactive. Then when you switch back to a SLF capable ship the pilot does not reset as active. Often I forget to do this and arrive ready to fight but with no pilot. Clearly my own fault but... if you can activate a pilot immediately from an entirely different system why can't I activate them in my ship immediately wherever I am?

Solution 1. Either your default pilot automatically deploys every time you leave dock in a SLF capable ship or you are given the opportunity on launching (without an active pilot) to return to the crew lounge and set one active. Or pilots are active in any ship that is SLF capable all the time because as above it appears they may not even be in your ship...

Annoyance 2. Your SLF pilot suffers perma-death when your ship is destroyed. This does not appear to be consistent with the opening statement unless the world of SLF piloting is as brutal as the Matrix!

Solution 2. Your pilot is either on-board your ship and ejects in an escape pod as your Cmdr does or the pilot is not on-board (telepresence) and is available in your crew lounge as normal when you redeploy.

They should give us recovery missions to retrieve a pod like Vindicator, has been saying after he lost his long time wing-woman.

@VJ, I'm still beating this drum for you dude. RIP Havana Justice :(

They should give us recovery missions to retrieve a pod like Vindicator, has been saying after he lost his long time wing-woman.

@VJ, I'm still beating this drum for you dude. RIP Havana Justice :(

Yeah I remember that now! That would be great gameplay. Literally life and death and something that mattered to the player as well.

Just imagine if you couldn't be bothered and left them out there... there should be chance they'd come back to haunt you! Or just stab you in the back.

Deleted member 115407

D
Permadeath of your crew members needs to stay. It turns taking on an SLF pilot into a risk-reward scenario.

To get an experienced crew member you have to invest money and time (hence why they get paid even when not active), and what you get in return is a very capable edge in combat. The risk you take is that if you lose your ship while they are on-board, you not only lose your experienced pilot, you lose the money and time you put into them as well.

You can mitigate that risk by taking on extra crewmembers who you can keep in reserve at lower ranks, or hire temps. But for that low cost, minimal time investment, and expendability you get a less capable pilot who is unable to give you the same edge. Of course, you could always retain extra high-ranked crewmen in case something goes wrong, but it's going to cost you a good deal of time and income.

As it should be.

Permadeath needs to stay.

As for crew members going inactive - yeah, it's a pain to have to set them to active every time you switch ships. I suppose it has something to do with the mechanic binding them to the current ship though. It also means that you have to put a little care into your pre-flight checks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about changing their appearance...I know some of them are fugly but do you mean change clothing / cosmetics or change facial features?

I meant changing appearance - we can do it for our own commander, so why not the NPC too? And you're right about them being fugly... I've not seen a decent one yet!!

So yet again we get the tired and stupid 'risk and reward' argument. Thing is there isn't really that much of a reward going on here and if players hire and fire 'redshirt' expert level pilots they get 80% of the 'reward' for zero risk and it works out cheaper too. If you were really serious about 'consequences' you'd be begging FDEV to wipe engineered modules on death. It might also sort out the grandfathered modules issue in time:p

As things currently stand we have an inconsistency of consequences. So we either keep the current system, which is pretty dumb and they may as well stop giving the npcs portraits and bios as no one cars anymore, or we could have options that would add to gameplay and engagement.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that the slf pilots portraits aren't generated using the same system as Holo-Me. That would explain why we don't see them in the cockpit. I would have thought that making them compatible with Holo-Me would be a no brainer as it would encourage more players to buy costumes in the store.

Permadeath of your crew members needs to stay. It turns taking on an SLF pilot into a risk-reward scenario.

To get an experienced crew member you have to invest money and time (hence why they get paid even when not active), and what you get in return is a very capable edge in combat. The risk you take is that if you lose your ship while they are on-board, you not only lose your experienced pilot, you lose the money and time you put into them as well.

You can mitigate that risk by taking on extra crewmembers who you can keep in reserve at lower ranks, or hire temps. But for that low cost, minimal time investment, and expendability you get a less capable pilot who is unable to give you the same edge. Of course, you could always retain extra high-ranked crewmen in case something goes wrong, but it's going to cost you a good deal of time and income.

As it should be.

Permadeath needs to stay.

As for crew members going inactive - yeah, it's a pain to have to set them to active every time you switch ships. I suppose it has something to do with the mechanic binding them to the current ship though. It also means that you have to put a little care into your pre-flight checks.
The SLF pilot risk-reward is so divergent from the rest of the game, though. As I upgrade my ship, my risk goes up in the form of rebuy. Unless I foolishly fly without rebuy, I don't have to worry about permanently losing anything besides credits. Even if I DO fly without rebuy, there is a loan system to potentially save me, and I have the option to sell other assets. An already fairly friendly system with several layers of protection. Arguments can be made on either side of this being a good system, but ultimately that's what FDev went with. It does have the advantage of allowing people to do risky stuff and get in exciting situations that they may otherwise be afraid to every try.

Then there's SLF pilots. They take a ton of time, credits, and combat experience to train up. Lots of progression and resources to bring a pilot up the ranks. Significant investment. Despite all that, there is absolutely 0 insurance system. Some people may like that sort of situation, but it just isn't consistent with the rest of the game. It's not like there are life pods you can potentially have invested in or "rescue insurance" you can choose to buy- there's nothing. If there was some optional resource expenditure I could opt to invest in to save them, then I'd be fine with them permanently dying if I didn't; it would be just like flying without rebuy. That's not the case though, so it feels jarring and out of place.

Meh, inconsistencies, pretty used to it with ED. I just go with headcanon, it works better.

I don't care about NPC taking a cut of my credits. Credits are easy to come by. What i want is:

1) NPCs actually in cockpit with you. Ability to dress them up, ability to change appearance using holo-me.

2) NPCs not dying. We "escape", let the NPCs escape with us.

Despite all your ad hominem attacks, I try to answer constructively. What I meant is a non-feature is "raising a crew to elite", not SLFs per se. From what I have seen, MANY MANY commanders seem to also just hire and fire Experts, due to the excessive cost of retaining them while inactive, and the feeling of "it's not worth it anyway" because of perma-death. Note that the cost of raising crew to Elite is massively higher than a ship rebuy, so many of your arguments are invalid, in particular "consequences are extremely minor. Ugh.".

- I have nothing against a retainer fee, but it should be a flat rate during inactivity, and moderate percentage only when active.
- Since me and well-paid crew contribute together to a community goal, the contribution should count before crew fees are deducted (correct me please if this has been changed already)
- Crew should survive ship destruction to open up "party RPG" gameplay and make the massive investment worth it.

While i agree, i'm glad i've kept my pilot around. There is a significant difference between an Expert and a Deadly (she's almost Elite!!!).

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
All tidied up... as my esteemed colleague Yaffle stated, let's keep if nice in here please.

Top Bottom