Canis Major Overdensity

Orbitingour Milky Way is the Canis Major Overdensitywhich is believed to be the remains of a smaller galaxy. Their is atrail of galactic debris (Stars) which now almost circle our Milkyway at a distance of only 42,000 LY.

Giventhat one of you fine explorers managed to get to the 'edge' which Ibelieve was 65,000 LY was any evidence of the overdensity found?

Inshort, has a major part of the Milky Way been out of the game?

Couldit form part of an expansion set?

Wouldyou, as explorers, be interested in going there?

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap071104.html

I don't think its been modeled in the game. Once you reach the far galactic rim there is nothing beyond it, just a few images of distant galaxies that are mere backdrops.

I suppose FD could add it as an expansion at some point but its doubtful any time soon as they've already given us more systems that will ever be explored in our lifetimes.

But yes, if they ever did, I'd defiantly go there! :)

I would love to think the distant Magellanic Clouds would one day be modeled too, with the introduction of an intergalactic hyperdrive to get us there.

If the game has longevity, and is still around in a decade, this stuff could be added as paid expansions.

The folks who got 65k are talking in terms of distance from 'Sol' - in reality they are only 36-38k from the centre of the milky way.

The folks who got 65k are talking in terms of distance from 'Sol' - in reality they are only 36-38k from the centre of the milky way.

Thanks for clearing that up :) I can't wait to get exploring, still working on getting my first new ship (Only had the game for a few days but loving it!) so I may be a while before I have something to shout 'OOoo AARRhhh' about!

Shouldn't take you too long Bran Tse - Haulers and Adders can fit reasonable jump range... Cobra's work well for exploro too. You can work out what sort of bank balance you might need/want at these two sites, and set yourself small goals to get there.
www.edshipyard.com/
coriolis.io/

Also Dognosh has a brilliant all encompasing thread that will help you no end... https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=139049

You Sir are a star! Not one in the game of course but a literal one, those sites are the business end of my operation now! Now I know how much I need to upgrade Tinkerbell (My Sidewinder) to her full potential!

I would love to think the distant Magellanic Clouds would one day be modeled too, with the introduction of an intergalactic hyperdrive to get us there.
I had a theory on the Magellanic Clouds, and my thread was mysteriously deleted from the forums...so you never know... ;)

Luckily I had cross-posted the theory elsewhere too...

-- Pete.

I had a theory on the Magellanic Clouds, and my thread was mysteriously deleted from the forums...so you never know... ;)

Luckily I had cross-posted the theory elsewhere too...

-- Pete.

I was wondering what happened to your thread Pete. Hmm.. very mysterious.

This line always stuck in my mind..

"And they have lovely views of the galaxy when you're there :)"

I'm almost sure I heard it when I was watching a fan-recording Dev Q&A from an event pre-launch with Michael saying just that. Is that where you got the quote from too?

It stuck in my mind at the time because I think D. Braben said something similar a long time ago, about how glorious the milky way looked from a certain far off vantage point.

I would love to think they have actually already modeled the Magellanic Clouds or a globular cluster, and that's where the Thargoids currently are.... watching us, and waiting :)

Last edited:
Couple of further suggestions/thoughts for you Bran Tse. First, if you are after any inspiration (and don't think you will spoil the surprise of exploring) check out one or any of Erimus's videos on You Tube. They are superb. That or, shameless plug here, check out my 'Gratuitous Selfie Thread' where there are lots of explorer photo's.
--
Suggestion 2 is to make you way (probably in solo as you are new, and unfortunately there are some less honourable types out in space) to Lembava and Goldstein Station. There is a community goal that lasts another couple of weeks. Basic scan 'honk' everything all systems you can on your way, sign up to the community goal when you arrive (do not sell the data at UC before that) and then sell what you have. It won't gain you anything straight away, but.. a) you are guaranteed a 150k pay out bonus at the end of it, which is effectively a big free money boost for a new player, and b) there are discounts on modules and ships. A final bonus is, once arrived, you could pop into open and there are bound to be explorers there to live chat to - although frankly this forum has a wealth of info if you browse around a bit.
--
Fly safe.

Thanks for clearing that up :) I can't wait to get exploring, still working on getting my first new ship (Only had the game for a few days but loving it!) so I may be a while before I have something to shout 'OOoo AARRhhh' about!

I suspect it may be a lot sooner than you think once you get out there :)

I'm almost sure I heard it when I was watching a fan-recording Dev Q&A from an event pre-launch with Michael saying just that. Is that where you got the quote from too?
No, that's actually a forum quote, it was difficult to find again when I made my thread (but I did find it and linked it), but I guess now it's even more difficult (or impossible?) to find.

It stuck in my mind at the time because I think D. Braben said something similar a long time ago, about how glorious the milky way looked from a certain far off vantage point.
That seems to ring a bell from some interview or another too...but I could be false-remembering.

I would love to think they have actually already modeled the Magellanic Clouds or a globular cluster, and that's where the Thargoids currently are.... watching us, and waiting :)
It would be awesome - and the mysterious deletion of my thread gives me a little more hope that it might be true... :)

If my thread hadn't been deleted, it would just be a theory...now it's a conspiracy theory... ;)

-- Pete.

The fan video I watched with that Q&A has long gone off YT too. I wish I could remember what event it was. I think it was one with the Lave Radio guys, maybe the first Q&A event the devs did.

It was just an off the cuff remark but an interesting one nevertheless.

Have you asked the mods why your Thargoid theory thread vanished? Maybe they can clear up the mystery ;)

Last edited:
Pete, here's your forum post https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2714&page=53&p=2261257#post2261257

Found via googling a phrse from it - google often works better than the forum search. Did you repost into the Thargoids thread or is it a case of your original thread being merged into it?

+1 Nice find.

Its back to being a theory now Pete, no conspiracy theory. ;)

But you could be on to something :cool:

Despite my recent moaning at FD to throw explorers a bone, I still have faith they have some tricks up their sleeves. This would be a beauty!

Have you asked the mods why your Thargoid theory thread vanished? Maybe they can clear up the mystery ;)
Yes - but they couldn't find it.. :)
Ian Phillips said:
sorry, I can't see the thread either:
"No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

is what I see.

As far as I know there is no notification sent by the forum when a thread is moved/merged/deleted, and I cannot see the admin logs where some of that information might be kept.

So - I can't be of any help I'm afraid.
But then luckily someone else saves the day! :)

Thanks - it seems my thread was merged into it - no idea why because I feel that my post stood quite well on its own, and it is a shame to see it buried into the middle of another thread!
The original link was: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=146594

Mystery solved!

-- Pete.

I'm currently using a hauler to explore as I am also grinding to make CRs. It's not sexy nor particularly respected with the exploration crowd, but nevertheless, the hauler is a joy (at least compared to the sidewinder) and cheap as all get out. I should be able to buy an Asp with the credits I will get from my most recent exploration run but I will probably just keep the hauler as my exploration ship (I also want to try mining).

Last edited:
I liked the Howler a lot when I was scraping credits. The sound gave it character and it looks exactly like it's supposed to look. Like a year 3300 Ford Transit van.

If we're going to visit anywhere outside the Milky Way, I vote for the Comet Galaxy. A galaxy zooming through a star cluster at 3,500,000 km/h (gotta be a speeding fine), with the clusters' gravity ripping the galaxy to pieces and its plasma (a toasty 10-100 million degrees) meaning any inhabitants are going to need some factor 2.34x10196783 sunscreen.

Actually, that makes me think.. imagine if there are inhabited worlds in that galaxy, imagine what they would be going through (or went through, given it's 3.2 billion Ly away).

Well, there's hope - at least the Magellanic Clouds are the only objects in the galaxy map skybox that change depending on your perspective. (And hey, the grid doesn't end at the 100x100x20 kLy box, you just can scroll any further.) :)

Top Bottom