Cannot Save Camera Binds, help needed.

So past couple days been trying to add bindings and save them for the Camera Suite and Free Camera but, once I apply and exit to main menu then back to options, nothing gets saved. I would like to give this camera a try now after all these years playing.
Trying to bind this to my Warthog joystick and Thrustmaster Throttle anlong with a few to an Xbox controller.

Could it be I already have too many binds allocated to these? It usualy lets me know if a button is used for something else.
Or am I missing something that is obvious?

The third question is most important. If the answer is no, then you need to reevaluate your priorities, then get beer, then return to question one.

Yes they show when I input them, left column. Hmmm maybe they should be in the right column instead. Been awhile since I've done this.
No beers.

Think I shall give the right column a try.
Nevermind, just checked where my other bindings were and they are on the left.

Last edited:
Left and right columns are for assigning the same function to two different inputs simultaneously. Very handy, I use this functionality a lot. I doubt this has anything to do with it, but let us know.

If you have multiple binds files (or likely even if you just renamed the one you had), then you will need to read this:

Did you rename your binds file? Custom named bind files won't save changes in my experience.

This is true if you have only renamed the file. You need to also alter the profile name inside the xml file to let the game know which file it should save your changes to.
F.e, one of my profiles is stored in the file MKB EDTracker.3.0.binds. Inside that file is a line reading <Root PresetName="MKB EDTracker" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0">.

If that line read <Root PresetName="Custom" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0"> instead, as would typically happen if I had only copied and renamed the default custom profile as my template, then the game would save any changes to the Custom.3.0.binds file, not to MKB EDTracker.3.0.binds. This would make it seems as though my saves were not changed.

IIRC the game saves all altered bindings as Custom.
If you select Generic Joystick from the menu, add one extra bind there and hit Apply, the changes are saved to Custom.3.0.binds.
If you then select Keyboard and mouse, add one bind and hit Apply, the Custom.3.0.binds will be overwritten by that set.

In conclusion, the folder that houses Custom.3.0.binds should not have any other .binds files in it.
Keep your named bindings in two places: one copy in a backup folder which is totally separate from any E: D folders, and
one in ..\elite-dangerous-64\ControlSchemes. Reason for the two separate locations is that every time E: D is updated, it resets the ControlSchemes folder contents to default, but whatever resides in that folder will be selectable as controls preset in game, by the name specified as Root PresetName= and if all relevant input devices are plugged in.

IIRC the game saves all altered bindings as Custom.
If you select Generic Joystick from the menu, add one extra bind there and hit Apply, the changes are saved to Custom.3.0.binds.
If you then select Keyboard and mouse, add one bind and hit Apply, the Custom.3.0.binds will be overwritten by that set.

This is correct, you cannot change the default profiles, any change will be made as a copy, in the Custom.3.0.binds file, potentially overwritting it.

In conclusion, the folder that houses Custom.3.0.binds should not have any other .binds files in it.

This is incorrect though. You can have as many as you want in it (that's %localappdata%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings), and game updates wont alter them either. As long as each file's name matches that given in the PresetName xml field, the game will save your changes to the correct file. I would advise against using the Custom.3.0.binds file for anything permanent because of the reason you outlined above, but if you have bespoke profiles properly set up, there will be no conflict.

I have been using the same custom 5 profiles for the past 3 or 4 years, through multiple reinstals of both windows and the game, and things have been smooth in that regard.

Last edited:
I shall try what has been suggested, I don't recall having this issue before.
Yes I have them back up to a different location.
Yes I press apply.
Yes everything is/are all pluged in.

Must have something to do with a recent renaming I did.

Top Bottom