Cannot Update Launcher On Steam

Hello
today i tried to launch the game via steam and i came across this message i done all that as its saying and still wont update any idea how to fix that or i will have to reinstall the game again like every

launcher update i think frontier for elite has the worst launchers i ever see everytime its something broken.thank you for the answer :)

Also im getting the lowest speed on redownloading so im stuck at 7% for 1h beacuse of low speed

and my connection is 100/20 mbs so every launcher update same story please fix your servers frontier so we wont have to reinstalling the game every time when its a launcher update! NVM its going now with full speed wonder what was that all about :) Ok after reinstalling the game i solved that problem above launcher went trough update but to do that every time its kinda stupid my opinion.

Last edited:

Support Sputnik

Customer Support
Frontier
Hi CMDR,

I'm sorry to know that you experienced this issue, however, I am glad to know that you were able to rectify the problem.

We have passed this on to be investigated, in the hope that this process will not be necessary to repeat in future. Apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Anyone know how to undo the new Autologin feature for the ED launcher via steam.
I want to return to how it was before. Manual password input.

Anyone know how to undo the new Autologin feature for the ED launcher via steam.
I want to return to how it was before. Manual password input.

Same for me. No idea how it saved my password but it comes up as "go ahead and hit play, I've already put your password in for ya" and no way to undo this. Tried logging out of the launcher and then hitting "log-in" again, asks for the log-in id and P/W (and I make sure the "remember P/W" is unchecked) but it still remembers it the next time I fire it up from the Steam PLAY button. I do prefer...security.

Same issue here too. Workaround I found is to run from within the Library tab, pick the game, and choose Play.

Attachments

• Steam Start Issue.PNG
    Steam Start Issue.PNG
    429.5 KB · Views: 440
Same issue with steam launcher and using the same workaround. Not really wanting to uninstall the game just to fix the launcher. There has to be an easier solution.

Caliber

Same for me. No idea how it saved my password but it comes up as "go ahead and hit play, I've already put your password in for ya" and no way to undo this. Tried logging out of the launcher and then hitting "log-in" again, asks for the log-in id and P/W (and I make sure the "remember P/W" is unchecked) but it still remembers it the next time I fire it up from the Steam PLAY button. I do prefer...security.

It seems that it uses the steam login api. You need to be logged in to steam for the auto-login of the launcher be pre-logged-in. If you start the launcher without being logged in to steam, it is as before.

I also would like to have the option to choose if I want to be steam logged in to the launcher. I don't think it is an security issue but I like to have things separated and I like to understand what is going on. I like to have the illusion of control. Please, FDev, let us choose, if we want to be automagically logged in via steam.

It seems to be somehow broken:

When I start ED from my Steam library I get the choice for:
1) Play Elite Dangerous
2) Play Elite Dangerous: Horizons
3) Launch Elite Dangerous in Steam VR Mode

When I choose 1) I get the above message to update the launcher, which is not possible
When I choose 2) I am auto logged in without being asked, so it is the new launcher with unwanted feature

Don't like!

I'm not on Steam, but I'm also not having any success getting the launcher working, I've been trying for 3 days now and finally today tried a clean install.

No joy - the Sync files bar is stuck at about 40% and I can see disk activity in the resource monitor, but it doesn't seem to be making any real progress.

Almost no network traffic

Previous update/installs were not like this. I have 300/30 Mbps verified on Ookls with 7ms ping time.

I've tried a few different things but it's frustrating sitting here and not being able to play on my 2nd account.

EDIT: after re-starting the launcher a couple times, I'm now at the dreaded <1m freeze.

Last edited:
It seems to be somehow broken:

When I start ED from my Steam library I get the choice for:
1) Play Elite Dangerous
2) Play Elite Dangerous: Horizons
3) Launch Elite Dangerous in Steam VR Mode

When I choose 1) I get the above message to update the launcher, which is not possible
When I choose 2) I am auto logged in without being asked, so it is the new launcher with unwanted feature

Don't like!

I had that but its changed for me now. When i run the Steam ED launcher nothing appears on screen for up to 30/40 seconds. Task manager shows EDlauncher.exe is there but i have nothing on screen.

It suddenly burst onto the screen but i am not auto logged in... However i have second button on the ED launcher that allows me to auto log into ED using steam credentials.

I dont want this. i dont want Steam/ED working together this way. My ED account is something that i like being behind another layer of passwording and separate from steam servers and passwords being saved somewhere except on Fdev's database and in my grey matter.

If my Steam account ever got compromised, this would auto expose my ED account as well.

I want to launch the launcher and manually input my password without middle man mechanics saving information.

Fdev...?

Last edited:
I have (?) updated the launcher via Steam. I can play the game all right but the launcher window has been a huge "HTTP 404 error" page ever since.

Didnt even notice a Steam update until reading this thread. Everything worked just fine. Nothing wrong with Steam, for me.

Top Bottom