Can't Complete Disable Turrets Mission

I took a new mission type (new for me) to disable turrets (five) on one of those big static ships. I've previous shot out turrets in CZ on capital ships. This time I got a good target on the first turret but no matter how hard I shot it it remained at 100% strength. My FDL then seemed to get tangled against the other ship (my poor flying, I know) and got shot to pieces by I guess defender NPC ships nearby.

Before I try this mission again, is there anything else I should doing? With capital ships in CZ it always seems better to hunker in close to the target ship, and that way NPCs don't seem to shoot (I assume for fear of instead hitting the capital ship). That didn't seem to happen with this other sort of ship/mission.

Do a data scan on the turret, then select the generator in the sub-systems. Then find it somewhere nearby and pop a missile in it. Turret disabled. Repeat until you have the number asked in the mission. You can also wake out to regain your shields and complete it later. Found out at 17% hull that a couple of those turrets shooting my iCourier can deplete the shields rather fast and I am better advised to take cover behind ship structures.

Do a data scan on the turret, then select the generator in the sub-systems. Then find it somewhere nearby and pop a missile in it. Turret disabled. Repeat until you have the number asked in the mission. You can also wake out to regain your shields and complete it later. Found out at 17% hull that a couple of those turrets shooting my iCourier can deplete the shields rather fast and I am better advised to take cover behind ship structures.

Ok, that's useful to know, thank you. I thought it was just shoot-em-up on the turrets. Also good to know you can jump out and back in again. I've now lost that mission, but might try again (in a cheaper, expendable ship this time!). If only FD would better describe the missions!

Or if you want to do it without getting branded a wanted criminal, just nudge them (the power supply) slightly a few times with your ship.

Top tip. Thank you.

So, it's:
1. Target the Megaship (white target) and Data Scan the ship (do this twice) to reveal all the ship's 'points of interest'
2. Target a turret, get close, and Data Scan the turret
3. Reveal the turret's power supply (mine were right next to the turret, some turrets had two power supplies)
4. Ram my ship's nose into the power supply to deplete the power supply down from 100% to 0%
5. Repeat five times with five turrets to complete the mission

Here's a good thread with pictures for the old, drunk and often terminally stupid (that's why I saved it).

Just spotted another - ahem - oddity about these missions: if you take multiple then you can just kill them all one one ship - so I just took 4 missions to different locations (1 turret each) and completed them all on the first ship by bashing 4 turrets. Need to check if any old megaship will do, but certainly works on 'a target'. Together with the 'nudge' technique these are now some of the easier missions on the board :)

Just spotted another - ahem - oddity about these missions: if you take multiple then you can just kill them all one one ship - so I just took 4 missions to different locations (1 turret each) and completed them all on the first ship by bashing 4 turrets. Need to check if any old megaship will do, but certainly works on 'a target'. Together with the 'nudge' technique these are now some of the easier missions on the board :)

I took one of these missions. This is garbage gameplay.

Great trick for destroying the power supply without triggering an alert but it's totally immersion breaking.

Why are these missions so awful? Why do I have to scan turrets? Why can't you just shoot the turrets? Why is there always someone attacking a megaship a few minutes after you get there?

This is why I have no confidence in FDev to deliver something good in 2020. In most games you would destroy the turrets by shooting them. In Elite, you have to scan them to find their power generator and destroy that. You have to do this for each and every turret. Apparently, the turret is made of indestructible material but the turret generator is exposed and destructible. Great engineering.

I just don't get their thinking process.

Top Bottom