Capital Ships

So with the fleet carriers, they are quite cool and great for explorers and everything... but they donr give me the feeling of piloting a capital ship at all

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Farragut_Battle_Cruiser I suggest that that become a player availible ship, more combat based but slow, 100- 350 jump range, lower upkeep costs Than the drake class carrier, and a purchase coat of 500 million to 7 billion credits. Only highest ranking fed navy people can get it (or maybe a little lower, like anything with Admiral in the title) Same with imperial counterpart or whatever that is

slower speeds/turning
Lots of guns
No planetary landings
Cool exiting supercruise animation
It would also be great for multicrew, with a large number of multicrew seats, who can each pilot the fighters and other ships that are in the fighter bays. Maybe also just add one - six places for normal ships to dock- not many.

It would be great if this was added, the one thing im sad about is that im never gonna be able to afford it. But I could maybe be part of a multicrew of one. Idk

there should be an actual helm area for one to

Note, it would obvoisly be different thanwhat im saying, but please just add it. With the code for the carrier, all you have to do is modify it. You already have a model for the capital ships. You already have normal and multicrew ship scripts.

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Majestic_Class_Interdictor and that ship to for the empire players

Last edited:
No upkeep costs?

That thing has a crew complement of 7,000.

I imagine an Imperial Interdictor might be crewed by slaves, but the Feds won't let you get away with that scam, sunshine....

;-)
Not no upkeep costs, but not upkeep costs as big as the carrier. It wouldnt have all those services either, just refueling and maybe just a few others.

im just putting the idea outthere, because some people like me have dreams of piloting a huge capital ship into battle, with fighters and everything.

I would love to see a better introduction to capital ships then we got with the fleet carries.
Personally i would love to see 3 entry capital ships that are say, twice as big as the anaconda, but it has some new features to it.
-Much slower turning and acceleration.
-All weapons are turreted weapons
-One massive hard point that is a fixed forward weapon
-Works more like a ship were most of the hard points are on the sides of the ships.
-can lunch smaller craft and be left in orbit of a planet/system while you run about doing whatever
-can be outfitted to do what ever task you would like, bulk hauling, combat, exploration, general ship uhaul.

I would love to see a better introduction to capital ships then we got with the fleet carries.
Personally i would love to see 3 entry capital ships that are say, twice as big as the anaconda, but it has some new features to it.
-Much slower turning and acceleration.
-All weapons are turreted weapons
-One massive hard point that is a fixed forward weapon
-Works more like a ship were most of the hard points are on the sides of the ships.
-can lunch smaller craft and be left in orbit of a planet/system while you run about doing whatever
-can be outfitted to do what ever task you would like, bulk hauling, combat, exploration, general ship uhaul.
Yes, this sounds perfect, And no planetary landings, but being able to stay where the atmosphere would be while you deploy fighters, or a smaller ship would be very good

also, I cannot wait for a day when players can pilot capital ships coming out of warp, with all that stuff. BuT that would be better when coming out of supercruise.It may not even be possible

Last edited:
Nah i think you need to keep them turreted and have the emphisis of them be that you have to fight other capital ships. Right now everything we are able to pilot from like a space combat kinda point of view, would be single pilot ship fighting. Even the biggest things we have like the cutter, corvette, and anaconda would all traditionally be gun boats designed to fight other fighters and frigates. If we were in capital ships it would be far slower combat and the only way to deal with tehlittle guys would be turreted weapons.

Nah i think you need to keep them turreted and have the emphisis of them be that you have to fight other capital ships. Right now everything we are able to pilot from like a space combat kinda point of view, would be single pilot ship fighting. Even the biggest things we have like the cutter, corvette, and anaconda would all traditionally be gun boats designed to fight other fighters and frigates. If we were in capital ships it would be far slower combat and the only way to deal with tehlittle guys would be turreted weapons.
Maybe. How would the turreted weapons work exactly, I dont know much about them in elite

Yes, i'm glad im not the only one who things this!!!

Actually yeah, I think your right

Honestly, piloting a capital ship in this game sounds ultra boring to me, but I could see folks liking the feeling of commanding something that big.

If you've ever played Egosoft's X series, one thing you'll notice is that Capital ships are only really fun if they are fighting a fight that the enemy cannot avoid, or are fighting another capital ship or station. The biggest problem with them in this game is that the vast majority of your opponents will be small and nimble, and have absolutely no reason to stick around and fight you. There are no installations for you to attack that they need to defend; there are no gates for you to lock down that they need to fight you to pass through; there will be very few enemy capital ships that you can get the jump on to get into a swinging match with.

So what I see a lot of capital ships fights becoming is smaller ships like me just staying at the edge of your cap ship's range while you either struggle to turn around or, if that's not even possible, just sit and wait for one of us to come in range so you can get a few shots in before they realizes their mistake and move out of range again. And in the few opportunities you do get to fight someone, they will probably be coming into range just to hit your capital ship's 3 heatsyncs, and then 2-3 minutes later your ship is emergency jumping out like the NPC capital ships do.

I do hope that they add in the feature for the folks who want it, but I'd definitely be prepared for some disappointment on this front.

Honestly, piloting a capital ship in this game sounds ultra boring to me, but I could see folks liking the feeling of commanding something that big.

If you've ever played Egosoft's X series, one thing you'll notice is that Capital ships are only really fun if they are fighting a fight that the enemy cannot avoid, or are fighting another capital ship or station. The biggest problem with them in this game is that the vast majority of your opponents will be small and nimble, and have absolutely no reason to stick around and fight you. There are no installations for you to attack that they need to defend; there are no gates for you to lock down that they need to fight you to pass through; there will be very few enemy capital ships that you can get the jump on to get into a swinging match with.

So what I see a lot of capital ships fights becoming is smaller ships like me just staying at the edge of your cap ship's range while you either struggle to turn around or, if that's not even possible, just sit and wait for one of us to come in range so you can get a few shots in before they realizes their mistake and move out of range again. And in the few opportunities you do get to fight someone, they will probably be coming into range just to hit your capital ship's 3 heatsyncs, and then 2-3 minutes later your ship is emergency jumping out like the NPC capital ships do.

I do hope that they add in the feature for the folks who want it, but I'd definitely be prepared for some disappointment on this front.
Of course. It would be balanced by speed and smaller ships being able to escape as well. People who dont want capital ships, just dont buy them. No need for anyone to feel bad about it: I dont care if I have an effective ship. If it has a planetary landing thingy, fighter bay, and a good fsd, and (most imporantly) looks cool, then im happy

i just buy my ships that look cool anduse fighters for all combat

I posted a different thread inviting posters to say whether or not they would by a capital ship for 5 Billion. A fair number of folks said yes. People concerned about the BGS said no.

My model was focused on piloting slfs deployed by the Cap Ship that you owned.

FDEV tried to do moving cap ships and they had a real disaster!

Spinning cap ships that spun away from the CZ marker, ships that did not show up, hitboxes that did not match the model location.

Sorry to say moving cap ships are way beyond their capacity.

Maybe. How would the turreted weapons work exactly, I dont know much about them in elite
Would work just like it is ingame, that or, because there would be far less emphysis on movement, you would assign fire groups to target individual crafts and the turrets do the rest of the work.

I would enjoy it, but it would require a total new design of gameplay and mechanics which im not against but it would be to the level of designing a new game, on the level of space legs, if thats really even coming.

Of course. It would be balanced by speed and smaller ships being able to escape as well. People who dont want capital ships, just dont buy them. No need for anyone to feel bad about it: I dont care if I have an effective ship. If it has a planetary landing thingy, fighter bay, and a good fsd, and (most imporantly) looks cool, then km happy
I posted a different thread inviting posters to say whether or not they would by a capital ship for 5 Billion. A fair number of folks said yes. People concerned about the BGS said no.

My model was focused on piloting slfs deployed by the Cap Ship that you owned.

FDEV tried to do moving cap ships and they had a real disaster!

Spinning cap ships that spun away from the CZ marker, ships that did not show up, hitboxes that did not match the model location.

Sorry to say moving cap ships are way beyond their capacity.
it doesent have to ve too much like rhat does it? It just has to be a big ship with lots of internal compartments, hardpoints, health, and a special fsd.

here's the problem with capital ships they are really only meant to fight other capital ships and structures they are not meant to fight smaller craft. so unless you are gonna get a fleet to protect your capital ship its just gonna get ganked by a swarm of smaller ships which will be to get past your defenses.
Look at battleships and aircraft carriers in world war 2 were used because thats exactly how piloting a capital ship would be.

here's the problem with capital ships they are really only meant to fight other capital ships and structures they are not meant to fight smaller craft. so unless you are gonna get a fleet to protect your capital ship its just gonna get ganked by a swarm of smaller ships which will be to get past your defenses.
Look at battleships and aircraft carriers in world war 2 were used because thats exactly how piloting a capital ship would be.
Which I'm not against that being a thing. I would love it if we could scale the game up for those who want it. Massive freighters, or deep space exploration vessels. Combat cruisers meant to take on pirate gangs or rebel factions, act as mobile bases for a wing or individual pilots. Have cruiser and cruiser combat like dueling ships of old with broadside weapon batteries laying into each other.

A single fighter should not be a threat to such a ship, but a wing of 3 anacondas? Now that's something that would need to be considered, a wing or 3 or 4 engineered medium player ships? Now we got a fight.

Now with it, it would finally be able to address imo one of the biggest issues with pvp in the game and that's the amount of damage larger weapons do to smaller crafts. If a lone small craft tried to take on a cruiser ultimately it would end up as a stale mate where the small ship cant do anything but the cruiser with out fighter support can't hit the small craft.

It can work just fine, the question of can it is not relevant, it's a question of if it will be done. Personally I would love it.

True- but, first and foremost; people dont have to buy them. Its optional. Second, they have many ships. Just deploy the fighters with crew (or yourself) in it if neccessary. The farragut also supposedly has some other federal ships or something in a fighterbay as well (which may not be added). But If the game was “scaled up”, more people may have larger ships. They may still be able to hit ships that are larger, the anconda, federal corvette, imperial cutter, idk. And, they could be outfitted with weapons that may be able to hit smaller ships. They shouldnt be like fleet carriers, which are glorified GUI’s

Which I'm not against that being a thing. I would love it if we could scale the game up for those who want it. Massive freighters, or deep space exploration vessels. Combat cruisers meant to take on pirate gangs or rebel factions, act as mobile bases for a wing or individual pilots. Have cruiser and cruiser combat like dueling ships of old with broadside weapon batteries laying into each other.

A single fighter should not be a threat to such a ship, but a wing of 3 anacondas? Now that's something that would need to be considered, a wing or 3 or 4 engineered medium player ships? Now we got a fight.

Now with it, it would finally be able to address imo one of the biggest issues with pvp in the game and that's the amount of damage larger weapons do to smaller crafts. If a lone small craft tried to take on a cruiser ultimately it would end up as a stale mate where the small ship cant do anything but the cruiser with out fighter support can't hit the small craft.

It can work just fine, the question of can it is not relevant, it's a question of if it will be done. Personally I would love it.
Yeah. Its all up to frontier in the end

Top Bottom