Carrier in Warp View!

OpVWtYj.png

Come on Fdev! Would be awesome!

When a ship jumps, it travels through hyperspace. When a carrier jumps, it travel through smokey space. The Thargoid travel through liquid space.

Seems with Fleet Carriers and Capital Ships it's about folding space where the front end is arriving at the destination system while
the rear end is still leaving the departing system. Not much of a warp view unless a player likes black smoke. Then maybe in
Hollywood SciFi movies technobabble this is an event horizon...without the horror.

pS4QABSMHt8ddVePXNZuHAjVgDU2gnDBov2t0ipggf4.jpg

Last edited:
The lack of an onboard jump animation is disheartening, particularly for non-owners. Seems a missed opportunity, given we have witch-space for regular travel.

Not that anybody actually appreciates witch space.
Since we see it more often than actual gameplay.

Seems with Fleet Carriers and Capital Ships it's about folding space where the front end is arriving at the destination system
while the rear end is still leaving the departing system. Not much of a warp view unless a player likes black smoke.

I think this is inaccurate

The Jump sequence says... Entering portal... you can hear it
Then it says... Traveling/Traversing in hyperspace or something to that effect... you can hear this too... the ship is rocking... time is spent.. a decent amount of time actually

Then... it says exiting portal and this is also heard

So i do believe there is some sort of tunnel

Last edited:
I think this is inaccurate

The Jump sequence says... Entering portal... you can hear it
Then it says... Traveling in hyperspace or something to that effect... you can hear this too... the ship is rocking... time is spent.. a decent amount of time actually

Then... it says exiting portal and this is also heard

So i do believe there is some sort of tunnel
I don't agree with the word "portal" suggesting folding space, rocking ship and time spent matches the time to complete the jump graphics viewing them from a distance. But who am I to argue? If you think that there is some sort of tunnel, then THERE IS some sort of tunnel in your game play! ED with imagination works for all of us. Go for it.

Here's the original Frontier Developments video of Capital Ships jumping at the gala release of the Elite Dangerous Premiere streamed on the Internet in Nov 2014.

Here's the whole Frontier Developments Premiere event which launched Elite Dangerous streaming world wide if interested.

It only took 5 years and 7 months for players to get to do the same thing in a Fleet Carrier! Imagine the future fast possibilities!
I love British satire humor. 😒

Regards

Last edited:
The idea of seeing anything while travelling faster than light is absurd. There should be no outside view in hyperspace or supercruise.

Seems with Fleet Carriers and Capital Ships it's about folding space where the front end is arriving at the destination system while
the rear end is still leaving the departing system. Not much of a warp view unless a player likes black smoke. Then maybe in
Hollywood SciFi movies technobabble this is an event horizon...without the horror.

From my experience on fleet carriers, there is some travel time between entering the portal and existing the portal. So it does at least SOUND like it's a FSD jump, just an FSD jump on steroids.

The lack of an onboard jump animation is disheartening, particularly for non-owners. Seems a missed opportunity, given we have witch-space for regular travel.

Not that anybody actually appreciates witch space.
Since we see it more often than actual gameplay.

They just need to whack some windows on our docking bays

From my experience on fleet carriers, there is some travel time between entering the portal and existing the portal. So it does at least SOUND like it's a FSD jump, just an FSD jump on steroids.
You might be right. I might be right. The problem is that Frontier never let us stand on the bridge of our Fleet Carrier, meet all those NPCs flying the thing, look out the windows and see what is going on! Maybe that is where this thread needs to go versus a warp view to answer all the questions.

You might be right. I might be right. The problem is that Frontier never let us stand on the bridge of our Fleet Carrier, meet all those NPCs flying the thing, look out the windows and see what is going on! Maybe that is where this thread needs to go versus a warp view to answer all the questions.

Before i even read these posts... earlier today i went into camera view inside the carrier dock

The first thing i noticed was the floor.... its SOLID... right at walking level. no camera fade as in stations or even planets

This could be a clue that we are walking in carriers in 9 months... maybe they have a view already in mind. I also noticed several doors that seemed different than the norm

the rear end is still leaving the departing system.

This is one of the issues with showing any kind of transit animation for carriers. 1) there is no transit time. If they added a 10 second animation, that would add 10 secs to the jump. which would be cool, but we have no idea what is happening under the hood with these jumps. 2) This is moot as long as we are stuck staring at a docking bay wall during the jump.

This is one of the issues with showing any kind of transit animation for carriers. 1) there is no transit time. If they added a 10 second animation, that would add 10 secs to the jump. which would be cool, but we have no idea what is happening under the hood with these jumps. 2) This is moot as long as we are stuck staring at a docking bay wall during the jump.
Thus we need to be on the bridge to enjoy the moment. Knowing Frontier I'm not convinced that they will ever do this. Look at this picture of the Devs trying to figure out ED issues in 2019. Seems the other half of the room working other games are doing OK.

DjqV2l6WsAAMot1.jpg

Regards

Top Bottom