Carrier refuelling?

Anybody care to speculate on how this might work?

I understand that refuelling our Carriers will involve either collecting fuel or purchasing it.

I was wondering how purchasing fuel might work.
Will we just show up at a station, hand over a bunch of credits and then go back to our Carrier to find that it now has a full tank of gas?
Alternatively, will we have to buy it, as a commodity from the market, and then transfer it back to our Carriers?

I assume it'll be possible to carry spare fuel for a Carrier aboard one of the stored ships, to refuel it from existing supplies rather than having to go and hunt for it each time we need to refuel.
I hope this is the case, at least, or it could be impossible for the fuel-rats to refuel a stranded Carrier.

I was thinking about the ships I want put aboard my Carrier for the trip to Colonia and it occured to me that I might need a T9, filled with cargo racks, working as a fuel tanker.
Alternatively, perhaps I'll be able to use a mining ship to mine Carrier fuel and transport it after buying it?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

7uROmvf.jpg

:p

It's probably a commodity that you either purchase or mine, and have to transport to the carrier as cargo. No idea how much it will be per jump or how many jumps worth you can store, if any. Obviously you can also persuade other players to bring the fuel to you, as the original idea was it to be a squadron vehicle.

Obviously you can also persuade other players to bring the fuel to you, as the original idea was it to be a squadron vehicle.

A good point, which also indicates that fuel will be transportable like any other commodity.

I hope FDev don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, here, by creating some kind of "Bulk fuel storage" module which has to be fitted to ships hauling the Carrier fuel.
I don't mind the idea of mining it, or transporting it, but it'd be kind of irritating if we had to swap out cargo racks for "fuel tanks" in order to transport Carrier fuel - even worse if Carriers don't provide the ability to store modules.

Anybody care to speculate on how this might work?

Be careful what you're asking for, for it may happen.

I was wondering how purchasing fuel might work.
Will we just show up at a station, hand over a bunch of credits and then go back to our Carrier to find that it now has a full tank of gas?

I don't think nit would be THAT simple. This is FDEVs. If something can be make unintuitive, time consuming, boring and dull it will.

Alternatively, will we have to buy it, as a commodity from the market, and then transfer it back to our Carriers?

Exactly, but not quite.

You will appear at the station with credits but you won't be able to buy enough fuel for the carrier needs. Simply because:
  • amount needed by carrier will greatly exceed your cargo capacity (think of it as cargo wing mission)
  • supply will be extremely limited (rare commodity, 20 supply for imaginary 5k carrier demand)
  • corrosive rack 2.0; we may face the need to have "carrier fuel container" module, with 2/4t capacity, which module requires unlocking, etc...

I assume it'll be possible to carry spare fuel for a Carrier aboard one of the stored ships, to refuel it from existing supplies rather than having to go and hunt for it each time we need to refuel.
I hope this is the case, at least, or it could be impossible for the fuel-rats to refuel a stranded Carrier.

I hope you will fill carrier and it will last for few jumps so your range work like our current ships. But I fear it will be one time jump per tank which implies lots of grinding.

I was thinking about the ships I want put aboard my Carrier for the trip to Colonia and it occured to me that I might need a T9, filled with cargo racks, working as a fuel tanker.
Alternatively, perhaps I'll be able to use a mining ship to mine Carrier fuel and transport it after buying it?

Thoughts?

• one ship to carry fuel when in bubble
  • one ship for fuel mining (I really, Really, REALLY hope it will require S weapon slot so I can outfit T-7 for that role)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
From what I have gleaned from what has been said, Carrier fuel will be a commodity - that can be mined or bought.

That it can be mined suggests that it will be transported to the Carrier as a refined commodity - so the bought version will also presumably require to be transported to the Carrier.

I hope your carrier automatically refuels over time. Like a NPC in the background doing the work, but it takes much longer to refuel than doing it yourself.

Yes, I've been wondering about that. Reasonable to assume we can buy it from a commodities market and use freighters to transport it to the Carrier. But what quantity?

We don't know how many 500ly jumps the Carrier can make on a full tank, I'm guessing at least 2. If it was only one, many Carriers will get stuck in outlying systems, with no fuel to jump back and no source of fuel within range of a mining ship.

But how much mining will be needed to refill the tank? If it requires many thousands of tons, that will take a long time for a single owner to mine, and even a group will need to bring multiple mining ships to get the job done in a reasonable time.

But if we assume (for instance) a 1000t tank for two 500ly jumps, that could be mined, but it would also mean that each fully-laden T9 or Cutter would add a big boost to range (an extra 700ly or thereabouts). As console players can make multiple accounts for free, they could fill up the 1000t tank and then load eight T9's containing around 6000t of extra fuel, using the Medium and Small hangars for the "payload" (assuming a 16-ship limit, otherwise the Carrier could have a near-infinite fuel supply).

As console players can make multiple accounts for free, they could fill up the 1000t tank and then load eight T9's containing around 6000t of extra fuel, using the Medium and Small hangars for the "payload" (assuming a 16-ship limit, otherwise the Carrier could have a near-infinite fuel supply).

Interesting point regarding alt-accounts.

One of my plans is to let my own alt-account board my carrier so I can, erm, hitch a ride to Colonia on my own Carrier so my Alt can unlock the engineers there.
I guess it'd definitely be useful if my Alt boarded my Carrier in a T9 filled with an extra load of Carrier fuel - and, possibly, whatever's needed to mine it.

Having a heap of Alt's aboard a Carrier would certainly make it easier to get around... although, eventually, you're going to use all the fuel the Alt's are carrying and then it'd take proportionally longer to refill them all again.
Travelling to Colonia, I guess the ideal solution would be to have enough fuel aboard, via Alt's, that you could travel to Rohini without stopping, buy fuel there and then repeat at Gandharvi and Kashyapa.

TBH, I was assuming that a Carrier would only have enough fuel in the tank to make one jump at a time but I'm also assuming that a tank of Carrier fuel will be something like 600t at most, so you'll always be able to carry at least one extra tank's worth, so you can always get back from wherever you can jump to.
If a Carrier has a big enough tank for 2 or 3 jumps, that'd be great.
I really hope that a regular ship will be able to store enough fuel for a 500Ly jump though, as a "reserve tank" in case you jump to a place where fuel can't be mined.

Don't see carrier fuel being a purchased item.
If you're out in the black it will need to be a collectable item and readily available.

Of course if it's a typical Fdev effort expect something complicated and super grindy.

For me personally why can't the carrier scoop fuel as other ships do. It could take an hour or two in orbit to do so.

FDev released the teaser for carriers very early. Do you think they did it on purpose so as to get the forum to figure out how it should be implemented? Forum users speculate via endless carrier threads and then FDev take the best ideas and pretend that's how they were planning to do it all along.

I'd taken a break from the game and it was the carriers trailer that drew me back in but I do wonder if maintaining the damn thing is going to be worth it (even if I can afford the initial cost of buying it).

Top Bottom