Cedar Point recreation - is it possible?

I grew up going to Cedar Point, arguably one of the best amusement parks in the world, at least back in the day. I no longer live near there and the last time I went was about 8 years ago. My son and I decided to ride every single ride in the park, except the kiddie rides we couldn't ride. It took us two 14+ hour days, but we did it. I tell you all this because, if it's not obvious, I love Cedar Point.

I bought early bird , once I saw the potential of PC, just so I could get an early start on my dream project of recreating Cedar Point as accurately as possible. I could tell recreating the buildings would be fairly easy, if not a long tedious task. I also accepted that there would be some stuff missing, but I hoped I could get reasonably close. Now that we're almost at full release, I'm starting to doubt it will be possible.
Yes, there are some obvious rides that are missing, like the Sky Ride, Dogems, Cedar Downs, to name a few. That doesn't give me too much concern, as I assume they will come in time, although I doubt Cedar Downs will, as I think it's a bit of a unique ride. It's basically a very large, fairly fast, Merry Go Round that is supposed to be like a horse race.

I think the biggest issue is the map. I'm not here to beat a dead horse, as there have been plenty made about maps recently, and there have been improvements. The problem recreating Cedar Point is not necessarily the size of the map needed, it's the shape. For those who don't know, Cedar Point s located on a large Peninsula on Lake Erie, in the US. According to Wikipedia, the park is 364 acres. I'd say it's roughly twice as long as it is wide at it's widest point toward the end of the park. Placing just one recreated coaster down, which should be close to scale, tells me that I won't be able to layout the park currently on a square map. It may fit if I had the total area, in more of a rectangular shape. I'd also love to be able to surround the park area with water to make a peninsula, but at this point that's the least of my worries.

I bought RCT3, but didn't play it that much, for various reasons. I know there have been Cedar Point recreations done in RCT3, but I'm not sure how it was done. Was it just not done to scale or were there mods that allowed a more rectangular map?

If you have plans to recreate this classic American park, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Is there any hope that this will even be possible? I think PC is truly a beautiful game. The thought of being able to walk around and virtually visit one of my favorite places in the world any time I want has had me excited for months. Now I fear that it won't be possible, as least not to the standard I had set for an accurate, to scale, recreation.

A Cedar Point re-creation sounds like a fun project! There are some coasters that would need to be substituted with different coaster types, but I'll try it out and see where it goes! Also, for the map size, use the alpine style map. It's entrance is on the corner of the square map, allowing for more room to extend the park diagonally.

Last edited:
Well, they did increase the mapsize × 2.5. But then again, Cedar Point is huge .[tongue] Apart from that, not all coasterrs types in Cedar Point are in the game at the moment.

I know you can't do Wicked Twister with the existing coaster types. What else is missing? I haven't gone through them all to check for matches. I started on Top Thrill Dragster.

Thanks for the suggestion on the alpine map. Ah, I do miss the Sandusky mountain views. Watching the sun set over the mountains while sitting high up on the Power Tower is truly breathtaking [happy]
That reminds me - Power Tower is currently another missing ride.

I know you can't do Wicked Twister with the existing coaster types. What else is missing? I haven't gone through them all to check for matches. I started on Top Thrill Dragster.

Thanks for the suggestion on the alpine map. Ah, I do miss the Sandusky mountain views. Watching the sun set over the mountains while sitting high up on the Power Tower is truly breathtaking [happy]
That reminds me - Power Tower is currently another missing ride.

Do you know if it's possible to recreate the drop for the dragster? Since the game restricts the launch coaster from inverting, I wasn't able to make the spiral on the way down.

I know this is an old thread, but this was made pre scenario editor. Now we have the ability to make any map like the alpine with spawn points at a corner. I started making CP on a square map maxed out using grassland, and with the entrance very close to the border, but still doesn’t seem like enough room. I’m wondering if building it from corner to corner would give a little more room from front to back. I only plan on doing it from main entrance to Frontiertown station. No parking lot or some of the buildings outside the park.

Yes, technically it is possible with strategic placement of everything. I am actively working on a recreation as we speak. This will be my second recreation of a park in my home state (first being defunct Geauga Lake/Six Flags: WOA) https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...ix-Flags-Ohio-Worlds-of-Adventure)-Recreation.

I plan to provide the (I think will be) first full scale cedar point recreation that fits within the borders of PC's scenario editor.

Below are photos I am sharing at this time...not ready to reveal the rest of my progress until I get closer to completion. Overall, this will be an entire Cedar Point recreation in one map. Strategic fit as close to the real thing is key and limit use of scenery/building pieces and ignore admin/maintenance buildings and some of lighthouse point so players can actually use the park without FPS suffering..too much[uhh]

pjGFsBc.jpg

EMxGZM5.jpg

440FDMM.jpg

s2FflTF.jpg

43mfRN4.jpg

wss8SdT.jpg

I like the shots of your park. Now I'm going to share a shot of mine. You have to think outside of the box at times. Someone made a nice Cedar Point-like park on the workshop called Cedar Dominion but it's not Cedar Point. Some others started Cedar Point but released them in incomplete states, and built the main midway on the smaller map and in the wrong spot, leaving little room for the back. I started it on a square, but then realized that the midway was too short and couldn't fit Valravn in properly. So I started over this time building the midway on a diagonal, starting at a corner. I think by doing this I can fit the park in. I already was able to fit the length of the midway plus Valravn in and have room for the back of the park. I used coasters and buildings from the workshop and other incomplete Cedar Point parks, but I made the CP & Lake Erie Railroad Funway station myself. Someone made a nice Coasters Drive-In released separately that is in Cedar Dominion. I'm using it in my CP. One thing, though is that I might have to alter the layout of the back of the park slightly to fit everything in. Here is my park so far. Neezy, can I see an overview of your park to see how you're laying it out? Are you building it on a diagonal from corner to corner?

View attachment cp.bmp

Top Bottom