CGs are being far to over-used, and are not special or fun anymore

Community Goals when I first started out were a great way to interact with other players, and to make some nice cash. Some of this may still be true now, however in my experience for playing the game (coming up for 3 years now) I have seen Community Goals being more and more common, what would be 1 every week or two, is now becoming 2-3 every week. I understand CGs may be needed for the Thargoid story, but there has to be other ways in order to get a community wide effort to implement these features, and CGs in general seem like they are being abused.

I do not bother with CGs anymore, because they are now way too common, are very repetitive, and bring no fun to my personal game play, this is by no means a rant at Fdev, I will always support them, and love them as a company, but CGs in my opinion, are being overused, I imagine a Community goal to be a special community event, that every so often once or twice month would bring players together. Will this ever change? and what are your thoughts?

Nah - CGs have been 2/wk for a while - no need to change. Some seem to like them more than others - why punish them so it feels more special for you?

If you want them every 2 months then you can just ignore them in between. Simples :)

I've yet to see a CG fail to meet even first tier unless it was something like opposite factions racing to get or do something first (not even sure if I remember that correctly). Kinda is boring when every CG is a resounding success

I've yet to see a CG fail to meet even first tier unless it was something like opposite factions racing to get or do something first (not even sure if I remember that correctly). Kinda is boring when every CG is a resounding success
I agree, there's no challenge, or variation, it's trading or combat mostly, with no change

I've never liked CGs. They're just gamey means to push players into one place for gamey "interaction" between players.

Using them to push forward a storyline is therefore not, obviously, my cup of tea.

I've never liked CGs. They're just gamey means to push players into one place for gamey "interaction" between players.

Using them to push forward a storyline is therefore not, obviously, my cup of tea.

Yeah, just attempts to force people together, and it's never truly worked in my opinion, most of the time in my experience it's been "o7" then off ya go, people will get together if they want to.

They could be good, if Frontier had the time/resources/inclination/whatever is holding them back (They are great guys and probly want to do this) to create -specific- and -unique- scenarios for every CG.

The war for Lugh, had it's own special signal source, which had a load of military craft fighting each other.

There was a Type 9 in it, which held special military plans, which you could pirate, and turn in to the CG.

There was also another side to the CG, which I think involved destroying certain ships.

Anyway, specifics of that instance aside, the point is, CGs could be nice, if they each had a special unique set piece (or five!!!) for them.

They have tried to do this with the Thargoid tissue samples, and thargoid (Insert thargoid item here) CG's, but, they broke that completely by adding other items into them, making them just another trade CG. If they had made them only thargoid stuff, then they would have actually been entirely different.

It's utterly bizarre that they missed this absolutely golden opportunity to make these CG's into vastly more interesting things, which would have actually felt like a narrative. Boggles the mind really. It's so simple to do, and required LESS work. Simply, don't put the other items into the CG! just have thargoid items. Boom, done.

Last edited:
Problem with CG´s is that it´s a mandatory success. It could be great fun when the CG is only one Tier and the consequences of not making it is losing bubble-systems to thargoids. Make it dramatic. Make it NOW :). Throw us in!

I think the problem is the opposite.
There aren't enough CGs, therefore they all succeed.

I'd tie CGs into the BGS and procedurally generate them based on system states.
Boom > Trade CG to unlock more station services.
Expansion > Combat Bond CG to take over an existing asset or Trade CG to build a new asset.
Lockdown > Bounty CG to unlock it.
Etc.

Having many more of them would lead to a signficant chance of failure and then the community would really be shaping which areas thrive and which stagnate.

There also needs to be more variation in duration from 24hr to several weeks.
The success tiers also need to be more complex, e.g. the trade ones should require sufficient quantities of each item, not just a bulk quantity of any of them.

FD need to come up with some other way to drive the narrative. CGs are well past their prime.

Last edited:
When CGs first started out I think they were more special; I wouldn't mind a return to that, but I don't mind the current system either. Maybe general "Pilot's Federation Contracts" or your run of the mill goals, and something higher-tier once a month or something more directly tied to the game's narrative.

There's many problems with CGs, first and foremost that they practically won't fail anymore. Their function right now is "this is what will be the story progress next week".

Moreover, the large majority of the CGs don't have global rewards anymore. There's nothing at stake other than a fat paycheck. Well...some people want more than a paycheck to feel the galaxy is progressing.

And overall, they stagnate and gate player driven change due to being limited in 1 per week for submitted content. You want to finalise the terraforming process of a planet? Well, you'd better wait for the god emperor to decide it's your turn. And I hope you don't expect to meaningfully influence the galaxy for the next couple years again.

Meh, I agree in general, although having said that I've participated in most of them over the last year so maybe I'm just burned out with the concept. I haven't even participated in the last 3 CG's after a failed attempt at Thargoid samples, it's not the failing part that gets me, it's the effort involved to supply 1-2 tons of material just seems pointless. And I'm tired of A-B-A-B trading and BH. Might be time to take a break, I hear Mass Effect calling my name.... ;)

Problem with CG´s is that it´s a mandatory success...
But the whole game has turned into a mandatory success, by popular demand.
I would love to struggle for hard earned credits, lose money on some transactions, face the prospect of bankruptcy...but most players want as quick and easy route to high end ships as possible, and cry if there are any obstacles, so its not surprising that the game has become like that.

FDev have now caved again on Engineering and will make that win-win too. Because of the player base.

Last edited:
They seem to be pretty popular around here. I happen to like them. Are you being forced to participate? I am for other types of CG's though. Variety is a good thing. Offer us up some suggestions,

Top Bottom