News Changes Coming to Multi-crew

[up]Awesome, looking forward to it.

***BT***

Would like to see some type of benefit for multi-crew exploration. You might as well pilot your own ship along side your buddy (wing it!) and receive data entries. What's the point of riding as a passenger if you don't get data entries or for that matter any rewards?

Thats part of the problem...multi crew is a feature that is unable to stand on its own, so they needed to incentivize it with extra pips, lower rebuy, no wanted tags, instant drop in drop out. NPC's were a no go, because they would compete with, and likely be far more used than human crew members. When it became clear that even that was not enough, they are making payout changes, and changing more things, and when it comes to Exploration, unfortunately, there does not appear to be enough that could be added to even come close to making multi crew engaging and used beyond the momentary gee whiz try it once just to say it was tried, never to be touched again.

Last edited:
[up]Awesome, looking forward to it.

***BT***

Would like to see some type of benefit for multi-crew exploration. You might as well pilot your own ship along side your buddy (wing it!) and receive data entries. What's the point of riding as a passenger if you don't get data entries or for that matter any rewards?

That's a great idea, to add on to that the other crew members could go into a 3rd person mode and have their own set of scanners so you can scan multiple objects at once and speed up the exploration process.

I really have a problem with the extra pip thing. It just makes ships way too strong. Engineers already unbalanced the living hell out of things. Why would you knock them further akilter? If the idea is to give people an incentive for hosting other players than just increase payouts per crew member! That's far less unbalancing.

You know how I know extra pips is a terrible idea? Because I find it so damn nice to have! Too damn nice, just like most of the engineer mods for weapons. YOU ARE DESTROYING THE CHOICE/CONSEQUENCE RELATIONSHIP IN THIS GAME. Sorry for caps but I think someone really needs to point that out.

I really have a problem with the extra pip thing. It just makes ships way too strong. Engineers already unbalanced the living hell out of things. Why would you knock them further akilter? If the idea is to give people an incentive for hosting other players than just increase payouts per crew member! That's far less unbalancing.

You know how I know extra pips is a terrible idea? Because I find it so damn nice to have! Too damn nice, just like most of the engineer mods for weapons. YOU ARE DESTROYING THE CHOICE/CONSEQUENCE RELATIONSHIP IN THIS GAME. Sorry for caps but I think someone really needs to point that out.

They know these things. Bad balance and game breaking bugs are acceptable things in 'iterative design', because you're going to make new bugs and the imbalances become obsolete with every new patch, as other devs say. Fdev don't release patches often enough for that to be true, they just leave things broken for a year or two. Their 'iterative design' seems slower and less effective than all the other kinds of design.

The best things that could happen to multicrew is a standalone multicrew client for just a few quid so that people who only want to play a simpler game can fly in a fighter and shoot turreted weapons etc. and can crew up with a commander.
Some form of bulletin board where you can advertise your exact multicrew mission with applicant parameters, such as "Must not block text Comms!", "Must have preset fighter & gunner configuration in options", etc..
The current form of completely random telepresence is good fun. But sometimes the mission I have in mind doesn't fit in any of the current categories.

Last edited:
Looks like Frontier has increased the pay out ratio for MC b/c my payout was around 1 mil under my friend's - Master vs Dangerous?

Sorry if this has been brought up already, I'm not reading 19 pages, but can the awful gunner targeting be addressed as well? Stray shots don't get bounties immediately, however, when the gunner is forced to target whatever flies near its true target, subject is considered a target and gunner gives helm an instant bounty. Seeing as the "only viable use" for Multi-Crew is combat, could the gunner targeting issue be looked into please? I like having a gunner, but more often than not, they're a hindrance because of how the role was implemented.

Sorry if this has been brought up already, I'm not reading 19 pages, but can the awful gunner targeting be addressed as well? Stray shots don't get bounties immediately, however, when the gunner is forced to target whatever flies near its true target, subject is considered a target and gunner gives helm an instant bounty. Seeing as the "only viable use" for Multi-Crew is combat, could the gunner targeting issue be looked into please? I like having a gunner, but more often than not, they're a hindrance because of how the role was implemented.

Only if you play it more. :(

Only if you play it more. :(
I would if the SLF launches didn't cause people to crash 50% of the time...
Edit: And for my game to lock up upon rearming after someone crashed launching a SLF...
Edit: And if the gunner didn't have control over my forward-fire-only prospector limpets...
Edit: And my shield cells... And my heat sinks...

Last edited:
Edit: And for my game to lock up upon rearming after someone crashed launching a SLF...
Edit: And if the gunner didn't have control over my forward-fire-only prospector limpets...
Edit: And my shield cells... And my heat sinks...

And therein lies the rub (as in rubbish) of that statement by FDev. Definitely in my list of Top 10 Most Rubbish Statements by a Development Studio. "Play this rubbish enough and we might make it less rubbish." :eek:

And therein lies the rub (as in rubbish) of that statement by FDev. Definitely in my list of Top 10 Most Rubbish Statements by a Development Studio. "Play this rubbish enough and we might make it less rubbish." :eek:
Don't get me wrong, I love multi-crew, and I'm looking forward to the enhancements to come, really, I just hope they touch on the aforementioned issues.

Don't get me wrong, I love multi-crew, and I'm looking forward to the enhancements to come, really, I just hope they touch on the aforementioned issues.
I'm playing it anytime I can convince someone to join me/me join them cuz I want MC additions. Dems da rules.

Careful, you're treading on sensible well thought ground! Someone is bound to complain......

Why no create sectors within the galaxy with increased risk? Then, you could take your wing or your mult-crew out to those specific places for increased risk/reward? Tie that in to an overall story - "Warzones" or something - and how PCs influence those warzones influence the results of the War in question? Now you have Drama, sense of place in the Galaxy.

ALSO, why not just allow the Multicrew to decide shares or contracts on their own? Let me set what I'm offering as a Multi-Crew helmsman as an INCENTIVE to get crew. If I have FRIENDS, let me set the shares to EQUAL. It's really not that hard. The argument that it's absurd that a crew can make 1.8mil on a 1mil bounty is totally legit. Instead, give us 2mil bounties in a Warzone or Conflict Zone and let us set our own Shares like real Captains on real ships.

This just happened to me.
Got both of the crew members dropped and they couldn't really connect back.
Also got the endless "Stand By" freeze when rearming.

I guess no multicrew until next patch.

multicrew has one major issue in my eyes:

we got two possible MC base situations, one is accepted, one just exploited.

• MC enabled Ship with SLF hangar installed
    - one SLF bay: this ship is multicrew ready without further adjustments, no reduced combat power if copilot is not present.
    - two SLF bays: this ship will increase its combat power in MC because NPC AND Copilot can be deployed
  • MC enabled ship without SLF hangar
    this ship is most likely fit with turrets just for the purpose of Multicrew, and sacrifices combat power outside of multicrew.
    the only benefit of going Multicrew here is eventually better aim of the turrets, and the extra pip

so, AFAIK, the entry level for Multicrew is to high for the Helm. the smallest ship with a hangar AND beeing Multicrew enabled, is the gunship, which is already pretty expensive, and locked behind a federation rank.
for any other MC enabled ship below, i see it only be a feature for those beeing able to afford and run a second acount, for an extra pip (that is granted even if the copilot is only idle and un-assigned) :(

a real quick and easy improvement for MC would be rather easy:

1. Keelback cockpit refit with a second chair (lower entry level)

2. Flexible weapon mounts. switchable between fixed, gimballed and turreted. the DPS and other parameters would switch with the active mode.
3. Tactical ops role. someone who can selecte, scan and identify targets in supercruise 360°, select subtargets for the helm/gunner and command hatchbreakers to jettison specific cargo out of the victims ship (piracy FTW!)
4. materials collected during a MC session should be tradable at the summary screen.

Last edited:
Last night I multi-crewed in a friend's Anaconda and the game kept freezing and kept kicking me out. I also couldn't get into the Gunner position probably b/c friend didn't have any turret guns?

Anyways, I decided to log out and back in and then don't remember freezing or dropping out again ... So, it appears multi-crew or network issues have not been completely fixed?

multicrew has one major issue in my eyes:

we got two possible MC base situations, one is accepted, one just exploited.

• MC enabled Ship with SLF hangar installed
    - one SLF bay: this ship is multicrew ready without further adjustments, no reduced combat power if copilot is not present.
    - two SLF bays: this ship will increase its combat power in MC because NPC AND Copilot can be deployed
  • MC enabled ship without SLF hangar
    this ship is most likely fit with turrets just for the purpose of Multicrew, and sacrifices combat power outside of multicrew.
    the only benefit of going Multicrew here is eventually better aim of the turrets, and the extra pip

so, AFAIK, the entry level for Multicrew is to high for the Helm. the smallest ship with a hangar AND beeing Multicrew enabled, is the gunship, which is already pretty expensive, and locked behind a federation rank.
for any other MC enabled ship below, i see it only be a feature for those beeing able to afford and run a second acount, for an extra pip (that is granted even if the copilot is only idle and un-assigned) :(

a real quick and easy improvement for MC would be rather easy:

1. Keelback cockpit refit with a second chair (lower entry level)

2. Flexible weapon mounts. switchable between fixed, gimballed and turreted. the DPS and other parameters would switch with the active mode.
3. Tactical ops role. someone who can selecte, scan and identify targets in supercruise 360°, select subtargets for the helm/gunner and command hatchbreakers to jettison specific cargo out of the victims ship (piracy FTW!)
4. materials collected during a MC session should be tradable at the summary screen.

Spot on, excellent post. :)

Top Bottom