Changes to the Training Scenarios for new players

I recently happen to relook at the training scenarios and was reminded of my first time entering the game. For many new players these scenarios are their first look at the game and I feel there are a few things that could be changed to make the experience better.

1) Rework the mining scenario. It is woefully out of date. I remember that it was really misleading and caused me to misunderstand how mining worked in the game resulting in hours of frustration. The scenario should ideally show a new player how to scan for hotspots, use prospector and collector limpets along with the mining laser, and inform them about the refinery. These are the current mining basics.

2) The first three scenarios feature the same sidewinder. Instead, you could create variety in the experiences by featuring the hauler for the mining scenario and the eagle for the combat scenario.

3) Start the scenarios with an external camera showcasing the location and the player's ship before transitioning into the cockpit. This helps set context and raises excitement and is a tactic often used in RPGs and MMOs. I remember that in my first experience I did not see what ships I was flying. The experience felt very functional. I did not know the keybind for external camera then. I found out about the feature only later, after I started playing the game and while going through the controls.

Those are my thoughts on the Training scenarios. I just thought it would good to post them.

Good ideas.

The new player experience is much better than at launch of v1.0, but still has room to improve!

I like the idea of the scripted start being a bit longer and leading to a "Tier 2 NPC" the player could encounter for some time, if they stay in the same area anyway, or working for the same corporation, etc.

Maybe with Odyssey FD will implement an idea I recall David Braben or Michael Brooks mentioning ages ago, that the player could start on foot with 100 Cr, and have to earn enough to buy their first Sidewinder to get off the planet. Or after doing the ground tutorial maybe the letter informing them of their relative dying and leaving a Sidewinder for them pops up.

Seems FD will need to update the tutorials for new on-foot activities given some of the focus on the new player experience the last couple of years. Or will they do that later down the line?

@OP if you would care to share what confused you about mining? For me personally It took some time before I figured out the vulture is a terrible ship to mine in and I have no idea why they would use it over something like a hauler or type 6.

@OP if you would care to share what confused you about mining? For me personally It took some time before I figured out the vulture is a terrible ship to mine in and I have no idea why they would use it over something like a hauler or type 6.
I'm not confused any longer. But yea, why a sidewinder? And you get taught as a new player that you need to go up to an asteroid, shoot a laser at it and manually scoop a fragment. That's it. I feel that's cruel and misleading. Sure you could cut down a tree with a bladed edge. But you don't make a training scenario for a wood cutter saying, here's a knife, there's a tree. Once you're done, collect the logs.

Last edited:
I'm not confused any longer. But yea, why a sidewinder? And you get taught as a new player that you need to go up to an asteroid, shoot a laser at it and manually scoop a fragment. That's it. I feel that's cruel and misleading. Sure you could cut down a tree with a bladed edge. But you don't make a training scenario for a wood cutter saying, here's a knife, there's a tree. Once you're done, collect the logs.
Oh I didn't mean to imply you still we're confused. It's been so long since I've actually done the tutorials I've forgotten what it's like from the new players perspective.

Oh I didn't mean to imply you still we're confused. It's been so long since I've actually done the tutorials I've forgotten what it's like from the new players perspective.
I thought it was nice that you immediately offered help. I love that about our elite community. I am the same as you. I only happened to look at the training simulations a couple of days back on a whim. You should too.

Now with experience in the game you'll see them from a different perspective. I realised how bad the mining scenario was and also I never realised what ships were there in the last 3 scenarios, because I never saw them from outside. Which is a real shame I thought.

Top Bottom