News Chapter Four - Exploration Reveal

I think an explanation might help. What do you think is wrong with the red, why is the green better and not just a different choice, and why is sector 41 both red and green?

I think because stepping out as Frontier did for number 28 is not as good as stepping in which Prorokpl did and Frontier had earlier in the sequence.

The thing about the sectors that bothers me is that numbering out from the centre seems a little to sensible for humans I would expect something much more ego centric with sector 1 centred around Sol.

Point by point:

• You don't use the drones to get first discovered, but there is a new additional bonus you can get called "first mapped." This is done with the drones.

• First Discovery is with the regular scanner. The process of locating and identifying a stellar body is synonymous with Discovering it. If you're the first person to find the body on your scanner, then you are the first discoverer.

• You don't have to drop out of SC for any of this. All of this is done in SC only. I know this because there are people who are already disappointed and annoyed that none of this functionality is available in regular space.

• Probes (which you keep calling "drones") do NOT require synthesis in fact they are infinite. The original design gave you 200 drones which could be synthesized, yes, but this has been changed to infinite for free, because people pre-emptively complained. I know this because there are people who are already disappointed and annoyed that drones no longer have ammo.

• Just to reiterate, there ARE NO MATS for probes ("drones"); they are infinite.

• The money is the same, with MORE money making options added on top of that. This is what the devs have state in the livestream. Could they nerf it after the fact? Absolutely. But the starting point for any arguments about payouts is:
- Honk gives you the same payout you would have gotten if you had previously scanned every body in the system individually, and can be done entirely with the Discovery Scanner.
- Locating each body using Analysis Mode will give you an additional bonus depending on the value of each body, plus the "first discovery" tag, plus all the data that you used to get with a Detailed Scan (mat percentages on surface, volcanism and atmospheric info, etc). Also done with Discovery Scanner.
- Discovery Scanner has infinite range and therefore you don't need to move your ship at all in order to scan/analyse every body in a system.
- Launching probes at each body will allow you to "Map" the surface. Mapping a body gives you "first mapped" plus more credits plus information about any Points of Interest on the surface (volcanism, bio signs, crashed ship, etc). This is done with the Detailed Surface Scanner.
- You have to map a planet 100% before you get anything. I know this because there are people who are already disappointed and annoyed that you could drop a probe directly on top of a Thargoid site and it would tell you absolutely nothing unless you mapped the whole planet first.
- Probes are unlimited, but each planet has an "efficiency" number, which is like the "par" number in golf. Suppose a given planet's efficiency number is 6. If you are able to map the whole planet using 6 or fewer probes, then you get an "efficiency" bonus payout on top of all the other Cr you'll be earning. I know this because there are people who are already disappointed and annoyed that Frontier has added an arbitrary and illogically "arcade" payout incentive to exploration.

• To conclude: if you have no interest in flying up to individual planets and dropping drones on them, you NO LONGER NEED a Detailed Surface Scanner. You will be able to do everything you care about with just the Discovery Scanner. All new credit-making opportunities are "on top" of the existing payout structure.

Phew! I'm glad someone took the time to patiently (and perfectly) respond to yodajedifishmaster's exasperated queries; I was getting a little impatient there and was going to attempt to do the same. Thank you Kaocraft! Already repped your previous response, but have a +2. :)

Also, I saw your apology yodajedifishmaster, which at least was mature of you. Lesson learned for next time perhaps, to not go jumping to such conclusions? ;)

So just another time wasting mechanic then , hope thiers an option to turn this new one off and scan systems like I do now.

Personally I prefer gameplay in my games. Unless you think gameplay is time wasting. If thats the case might as well get rid of ship flight and teleport from station to station. It's better off if you don't log in at all to be honest as it is all time wasting.

So just another time wasting mechanic then , hope thiers an option to turn this new one off and scan systems like I do now.

As I said previously, use of the new FSS should be optional and the player should be able to use the existing system if they prefer to do so.

Surely it cannot be beyond the capabilities of FDev to make this possible?

As I said previously, use of the new FSS should be optional and the player should be able to use the existing system if they prefer to do so.

Surely it cannot be beyond the capabilities of FDev to make this possible?

Seems like a reasonable desire to me.

The most reasonable compromise would be to provide at least the System-Map-With-Grey-Blobs after an FSS honk. I'd even go for that, despite being vehemently against it when it accidentally got activated in the 2.2 beta a couple of years back.

It would stop throwing some explorer types under the bus, but would still obscure the system planet information until the FSS minigame was played.

Seems like the most reasonable compromise to me. After all, isn't that what discussion should be about, reaching compromise?

After all, isn't that what discussion should be about, reaching compromise?

It has become about this it seems. Still got depression to go through before moving on to acceptance though. I think an exploration Focused Feedback would have helped work though these kind of issues. Pity, but never mind, it's only a game ;)

The most reasonable compromise would be to provide at least the System-Map-With-Grey-Blobs after an FSS honk. I'd even go for that, despite being vehemently against it when it accidentally got activated in the 2.2 beta a couple of years back.

I'm not sure if that really makes sense because, if you have system map blobs uncovered by system honk, you're not any the wiser than opening the new scanner and seeing the same number of .. blobs. We can't comment until we've tried it but honestly I see the new system as being much more engaging than the old and will help to keep my exploration ships paint in a far better condition!

Suck it and see I think because short range scans on a tour of the system can't be described as engaging gameplay. Zen-like, perhaps but who's to say whether frequency tuning is any less zen-like until the beta and besides, you can always fly up to the object in that zenlike fashion and fire probes into it. I'm just glad to have more 'gear' on the ship to interact with - speaking personally - because I like oscilloscopes!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that really makes sense because, if you have system map blobs uncovered by system honk, you're not any the wiser than opening the new scanner and seeing the same number of .. blobs. We can't comment until we've tried it but honestly I see the new system as being much more engaging than the old and will help to keep my exploration ships paint in a far better condition!

Well, it would reveal some information essential to some explorers - like "are there any small moons in here and does the schematic show an interesting layout?" that would at least return some semblance of the snap decision for some explorer types who look for small moons and the like for multiple reasons.

It's the removal of the snap decision for the likes of us which really grates the most :/

Well, it would reveal some information essential to some explorers - like "are there any small moons in here and does the schematic show an interesting layout?" that would at least return some semblance of the snap decision for some explorer types who look for small moons and the like for multiple reasons.

It's the removal of the snap decision for the likes of us which really grates the most :/

I'm not sure we know the system well enough to judge yet is what I'm saying. From what I gathered anyway it might be possible to get that snap decision information from the fuzzy signal a moon surrounded body gives you? Gas giants being more likely to have moons, etc.

But as Frontier have already said, the new system is learnable.

So you can still learn this, you just learn by looking at the waveforms instead of looking at a system map where it's pretty darn obvious considering you have no detailed scan of the planet.

It's like Cypher in The Matrix. "I don't even see wave forms any more. all I see is Jovian, rocky body, ringed world..."

The fact that you can learn this system (I think, personally) does so much for the exploration aspect of the game. It's something to learn. People who have been doing it will keep getting better at noticing the patterns and evaluating what they have. For me, that's golden.

It would stop throwing some explorer types under the bus, but would still obscure the system planet information until the FSS minigame was played.

Seems like the most reasonable compromise to me. After all, isn't that what discussion should be about, reaching compromise?

I guess. But I dont see why they need to nerf the system scanner at all. Why not just make Q4 an upgrade. No reason to make this negative change, just keep the universally liked other things and ditch the single element that has had a bad user response. Shrug, seems obvious to me.

But as Frontier have already said, the new system is learnable.

So you can still learn this, you just learn by looking at the waveforms instead of looking at a system map where it's pretty darn obvious considering you have no detailed scan of the planet.

It's like Cypher in The Matrix. "I don't even see wave forms any more. all I see is Jovian, rocky body, ringed world..."

The fact that you can learn this system (I think, personally) does so much for the exploration aspect of the game. It's something to learn. People who have been doing it will keep getting better at noticing the patterns and evaluating what they have. For me, that's golden.

This has been covered before - if you're specifically looking for "small moons in interesting configurations" for example, seeing there are "small moon squiggles" in the Planet Radio Tuner[tm] will not suffice. It only tells you "there are small moons here". It does not tell you "there are small moons here in interesting configurations - this star system is worth spending more time in" - compare that to the current system map. At a glance you can see "there are small moons here and they are in an interesting configuration - this system may be worth spending more time in".

With Radio Planet Game[tm], you'll now have to specifically tune in to Radio Small Moon, aim the magic telescope, and resolve each small moon in order to obtain their orbital configuration. Ergo: instead of being able to make a snap decision, you'll now have to spend the time necessary to FSS scan every small moon, before even being able to make the decision on whether or not to stay or go.

You see the difference here? :)

I guess. But I dont see why they need to nerf the system scanner at all. Why not just make Q4 an upgrade. No reason to make this negative change, just keep the universally liked other things and ditch the single element that has had a bad user response. Shrug, seems obvious to me.

I'd love that too. But FDEV knows that the lesser of two evils is basiically to run what folks seem to think is the smaller group of explorer types, under a bus.

Anywhoo. We'll see how the larger playerbase takes these changes. Once the novelty value of Planet Radio Game wears off, I reckon more people will desire the system map back in one form or another.

seeing there are "small moon squiggles" in the Planet Radio Tuner[tm] will not suffice. It only tells you "there are small moons here". It does not tell you "there are small moons here in interesting configurations - this star system is worth spending more time in"

It will suffice
It does tell you there are small moons and when learned will give enough information to decide if it's worth exploring
You can see at a glance
If you really feel you need to see each of their orbits you can scan them all within seconds

Top Bottom