Cheating Vs Combat Logging

EDIT: Logic is undeniable...Combat logging is somewhat harmless, and it is a lot of noobs who do it. With that said. I deleted my original post about Youtubers being hypocrites for using in game glitches.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree with all of your points, but with how much the player base of Elite has been dwindling, banning people for combat logging is probably not a good idea.

Elite is currently barely holding on to being listed in the top 100 games played on steam (and yes, I know there are players who don't use steam but it's still a good indication of where the game is headed).

The hackers need to be stopped, but the combat loggers should be left alone.

Deliberately disconnecting to preserve one's assets or otherwise avoid in-game consequence is cheating. The effects on the game are not necessarily more or less than hacking--both result in outcomes that may not have occurred through legitimate play--and both are explicitly against the rules.

As for who is doing either of these things...cheaters are and the idea that some arbitrary subset of cheaters is acceptable or desirable for the game is asinine.

Quote: "Deliberately disconnecting to preserve one's assets or otherwise avoid in-game consequence is cheating."
If that is true, then doing so when one gets stuck in the toast rack or cancels a launch sequence they made by mistake is also cheating and deserves the same; Correct?

I think combat logging shouldn't even be an issue. FDevs should have built the game to consider it, as some games in the past have done.
It's pretty straightforward; if a player disconnects during a fight, then one of the other active players should "take control" of that ship and use it as an NPC.
I've seen it done in home-world multiplayer. My cousin spent 1 hour preparing his fleet for a major clash with his friend, but when time to fight came, his friend had dropped connection, and he found himself fighting an NPC instead. He only noticed it when the game ended.
In what regards the aftermath on Powerplay and other global effects, defeat could be considered as if the logged player had died, but when he logged on again, instead of losing ship or assets, he would be back to the last station used (a time delay to limit exploits)
(log-off due to crash or internet connection fault must always be considered)

Quote: "Deliberately disconnecting to preserve one's assets or otherwise avoid in-game consequence is cheating."
If that is true, then doing so when one gets stuck in the toast rack or cancels a launch sequence they made by mistake is also cheating and deserves the same; Correct?

The difference is the direct effect it has on other players experiences. From the "winning" sides point of view any ammo expended, any damages to their own ship instantly become a complete loss. That loss (depending on the circumstances) would have been cleared by the cargo/bounty that the player could have received had the fight come to it's natural conclusion.

There's also very little worse than seeing your opponent simply blink out of existence mid fight having had an "issue" with their internet connection.

The other examples shouldn't get placed under the same banner mind. It's more likely that players in those situations are going to use the menu log instead. Given that FD have stated it is a legitimate way of exiting the game at any time they are really out of scope for the argument. Those situations also have very little direct impact on other players if any.

The difference is the direct effect it has on other players experiences. From the "winning" sides point of view any ammo expended, any damages to their own ship instantly become a complete loss. That loss (depending on the circumstances) would have been cleared by the cargo/bounty that the player could have received had the fight come to it's natural conclusion.

There's also very little worse than seeing your opponent simply blink out of existence mid fight having had an "issue" with their internet connection.

The other examples shouldn't get placed under the same banner mind. It's more likely that players in those situations are going to use the menu log instead. Given that FD have stated it is a legitimate way of exiting the game at any time they are really out of scope for the argument. Those situations also have very little direct impact on other players if any.
True enough, and it makes sense to those that adhere to the RULE. However, the RULE as it is written written does not include exceptions. Perhaps FDev should update their wording of the RULE.

what about those with iffy net connections that loose connection through no fault of their own, these would also show as logging, these folks should not be punished. folk that run hacks etc are the cheats you should worry about as these type of things effect stability and performance of the servers

When I'm in a HAZRES in the middle of a fight with several opponents, the game always glitches a little (in my pc at least). I am sure that the pressure on the net flow in those moments, when playing in open, is enough to break a low-end pc's connection. These cases must not be punished and always considered. On the other hand, it's pretty simple to identify a player that disconnects on purpose, because he always does it on the verge of loosing.
In my opinion, the trick of substituting the logged off player by an NPC with the same characteristics is the best option.

What if, say, the ground unloads from beneath you as an SRV and you fall into the planet, or one of the many similar glitches that plague the game?

Not sure how an unclean disconnection would even be able to resolve any problems created by that particular event, but preserving one's in-game assets or progress from the intended chain of cause and effect is not the same as working around a bug. The player's gameplay screw ups are their own responsibility, but the game's screw ups are Frontier's, and if one does fall victim to a bug, support is almost always willing to reimburse whatever losses resulted.

What if, say, the ground unloads from beneath you as an SRV and you fall into the planet, or one of the many similar glitches that plague the game?
Ouch. Happened to me a lot with the AspX.
Or the game freeze while loading the system map, that makes you unable to clean log-off.

Better graphics card than mine, I'm running a 2013 macbook
giphy.gif

This is indeed what the menu log is for, rather than pulling the connection out the back of the computer.

However, given what you said about your current laptop, that glitch is more likely due to your well below spec hardware than the game itself.

Top Bottom