CM Arf: Elite/Horizons (PEGI 7?) CMDRs won't instance with Odyssey (higher PEGI rating) CMDRs on non-atmos planets because of rating restrictions

According to Pegi:

PEGI 16

The game can feature death and injury to humans, including gory and bloody violence if the game is ‘arcade style’ (ie: not too realistic). Smoking, drinking alcohol, the use of illegal drugs, glamourised representation of crime and strong bad language can be shown.

A PEGI 16 game can also contain erotic nudity and sexual activity, excluding the showing of genitals.

Bit of a step up :D

Yes, but Stuart wants them to change the age rating, or allow users to choose to access content of a higher age rating that the game states.
I was reacting to the part: "... I wonder if an optional store add-on (50p/£1?) for it will satisfy said agencies as it's a separate purchase..." and I suppose it was meant in a sense that just the specific DLC should be rated differently, not the whole game rating changed. But, well, either way it was meant, the fact about TW's apporach can be incorporated into further thoughts anyway. :)

Engage in slave trading, drug smuggling and massacring ships full of civilians by the hundreds - Ages 7+

Shoot one person in the foot - Ages 18+

What a joke
Well that's an easy one, you don't actually see these SUPPOSED slaves or civilians nor do you see their screams of fear or agony in the chat so in essence they are just boxes on a ship which, you are shooting, just a piece of metal flying through space sadly in this case it's a literal case of a visual representation of it all.

So if they raise the age rating, does that mean they'll get rid of the ridiculous profanity filter in the game? I'm fine with filtering some things, but the one in the game is beyond ridiculous. Speaking for myself of course, but I would suspect that there are some potty mouths out there that may agree.

o7

Well that's an easy one, you don't actually see these SUPPOSED slaves or civilians nor do you see their screams of fear or agony in the chat so in essence they are just boxes on a ship which, you are shooting, just a piece of metal flying through space sadly in this case it's a literal case of a visual representation of it all.

what are we then teaching people (since ratings assume games teach people things).. that it's ok and not as bad as long as you dont see the result of your actions personally? That's a more destructive lesson as people are much more capable of doing harm they can distance themselves from than doing it personally in real life.

I'd consider a game where you are a mass murder and slaver to thousands etc should get a rating that is higher than one where you personally kill individual people in it as someone needs to be more mature and emotionally aware to understand what their actions are when you have that distance so you dont associate that distance with it not being real. Where as it's much less likely someone will learn that actions aren't real when that action is done directly to their body - regardless of being very young or not.

tldr: graphic violence at an individual level is less harmful than hiding that traumatic fiction at a distance. Because the latter can actually stick with people and carry over to real life. The former does not.

Last edited:
Twitch link:
Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/925472678?t=1h5m38s

Twitch clip: https://clips.twitch.tv/AuspiciousTenuousDumplingsPartyTime-cjc_srGia4cuLdiE

"obviously if it is a 7+ game you cannot see a player getting shot in the face with a kinematic rifle etc etc"

Maybe if the age rating agencies won't allow a menu option for Elite/Horizons CMDRs ("I'm okay seeing higher age-rated content - Y/N"), I wonder if an optional store add-on (50p/£1?) for it will satisfy said agencies as it's a separate purchase, for those CMDRs that cannot purchase Odyssey for whatever reason yet want to instance on planets with their Odyssey-owning friends?

Or buy Odyssey of course :D
Its a ridiculous situation indeed.

what are we then teaching people (since ratings assume games teach people things).. that it's ok and not as bad as long as you dont see the result of your actions personally? That's a more destructive lesson as people are much more capable of doing harm they can distance themselves from than doing it personally in real life.

I'd consider a game where you are a mass murder and slaver to thousands etc should get a rating that is higher than one where you personally kill individual people in it as someone needs to be more mature and emotionally aware to understand what their actions are when you have that distance so you dont associate that distance with it not being real. Where as it's much less likely someone will learn that actions aren't real when that action is done directly to their body - regardless of being very young or not.

tldr: graphic violence at an individual level is less harmful than hiding that traumatic fiction at a distance. Because the latter can actually stick with people and carry over to real life. The former does not.

I'm not defending it or anything but it literally seems like the approach being taken if you think about it. You don't SEE those people actually dying and flying off in space with the wreckage so there is no actual proof of it all, which is how they justify it imo.

Top Bottom