CMDR Michael Holyland and his Elite Dangerous story on Netflix

For those who have been here on the forums and other social media outlets for a little while, you will I'm sure remember the poignant story of one of our very own CMDR Michael Holyland and the Elite Community who rallied around him in his final days.

The story of how this wonderful community, content creators, Frontier Developments and it's staff joined together in Michaels final days is now part of a Netflix program called Not a Game which looks at the complex relationship with gamers and their families.

Little bit of the backstory:

In May 2019 Michaels Uncle Mat (@Freebooted) reached out to the Elite Dangerous community and of course the Devs and Community responded in a incredible show of support, kindness and the true spirit of the game.

Matts thread.

Michael's Journey Through the Stars

The Community flooded Mat and Michael with messages of support, ideas, advice, generosity and kindness. Frontier visited Michael at Addenbrooke’s hospital, Cambridge with lots of Elite gifts.

@Zac Antonaci suggested to Mat the idea of an audiobook and once agreed by the family Frontier staff of who there were many lead by Zac and Joe Hogan quickly leapt into action and in collaboration with Elite Dangerous author @drew Wagar, Voice actors Richard Reed, Jay Britton and Amelia Tyler worked tirelessly to create this incredible audiobook in under 24 hours with a foreword by David Braben.

As you can imagine Michael was delighted by this and got to hear his very own Elite Dangerous story just before he sadly passed to the stars and beyond.

Per ardua ad astra Michael.

o7

Links below

Michael's Story - Elite Dangerous Ebook and Audiobook

A Guardian news piece on the story.

How a video game community filled my nephew's final days with joy

Link to the program Michaels story starts at 65mins.
Netflix: Not a game

Update: @Phoenix_Dfire let me know the BBC has done a radio documentary on Michaels story as well.

View attachment 216666

o7 Cmdr Hoyland fly safely in the wing of angels

For those who have been here on the forums and other social media outlets for a little while, you will I'm sure remember the poignant story of one of our very own CMDR Michael Holyland and the Elite Community who rallied around him in his final days.

The story of how this wonderful community, content creators, Frontier Developments and it's staff joined together in Michaels final days is now part of a Netflix program called Not a Game which looks at the complex relationship with gamers and their families.

Little bit of the backstory:

In May 2019 Michaels Uncle Mat (@Freebooted) reached out to the Elite Dangerous community and of course the Devs and Community responded in a incredible show of support, kindness and the true spirit of the game.

Matts thread.

Michael's Journey Through the Stars

The Community flooded Mat and Michael with messages of support, ideas, advice, generosity and kindness. Frontier visited Michael at Addenbrooke’s hospital, Cambridge with lots of Elite gifts.

@Zac Antonaci suggested to Mat the idea of an audiobook and once agreed by the family Frontier staff of who there were many lead by Zac and Joe Hogan quickly leapt into action and in collaboration with Elite Dangerous author @drew Wagar, Voice actors Richard Reed, Jay Britton and Amelia Tyler worked tirelessly to create this incredible audiobook in under 24 hours with a foreword by David Braben.

As you can imagine Michael was delighted by this and got to hear his very own Elite Dangerous story just before he sadly passed to the stars and beyond.

Per ardua ad astra Michael.

o7

Links below

Michael's Story - Elite Dangerous Ebook and Audiobook

A Guardian news piece on the story.

How a video game community filled my nephew's final days with joy

Link to the program Michaels story starts at 65mins.
Netflix: Not a game

Update: @Phoenix_Dfire let me know the BBC has done a radio documentary on Michaels story as well.

View attachment 216666

My God... What a story. :(
HUGE respect for ALL involved.

I gave Michael's story a listen yesterday, since i wasn't away of the whole thing before. Absolutely beautiful what everyone, especially Drew did for CMDR Michael

today i searched the whole internet and even Inara for the name of Michael's ship, the MELMA PREDATRICE and it seems like noone ever actually built his iEagle in game.

So i decided, i'll give it a go, an built my own Melma Predatrice, in the style of Michael's story.
What do you think?
Gonna build that thing for real ingame soon

Rest well young Commander, your time with us is done, we will see you in the stars!
Go flying with Evelyn while we wait, look her up, I'm sure you will have fun together!

(In this respect FDev is amazing, as I have personally been the benefactor of their respect to Comander Evelyn. Look up Evelyn's Light in the forum. I don't want to direct link to derail this thread)

I just saw this. I’ve really cried. Totally breaks my heart. I wish so much Michael is with the Lord now. I hope his family will be too. I wish I could hug y’all so much.
May God truly comfort you all so much.

Top Bottom