Coaster Smoothness 2019

A continuation of the highly discussed "Coaster Smoothness" topic from the old forums, a lot of us would like smoother coasters in game.

People have mentioned not being able to make continuous rolls, how trains jerk on turnings, and what I personally think is a main issue, the camera's used on certain coasters, both videos below show whats happening with the camera when looking down on a coaster (how wobbly/unstable it is) and the other shows 3 coasters that use different types of cameras, as well as the flying coaster using the camera what I'm going to call "focus from the front"

Other things worth mentioning:
The log flume cam (at the top of lift hills the camera pans downwards to the dummies legs/looks downwards)
The camera on the wing coaster when putting a roll at the top of a lift hill does similar to the log flume (knee cam)
Eurofighter's lift hill at top again, knee cam.
Camera's seem as if they track whatever is going on a metre or 2 ahead (which would explain knee cam)
The Zenith, when using the camera thats close to the track, goes through the track during inversions.

Myself, I loaded Planet Coaster up once last month to check a cool thememakers toolkit item, and before that was when the new coaster was added to see if there had been any improvements on the smoothness of coasters, some people load the game up just to make realistic coasters and have fun doing so, and personally, when I make a coaster and the camera goes janky around a turning or inversion, it puts me off playing it, its fine if it doesn't bug you but, it bugs me and many others.

Last edited:
If that is the most important issue for you, then you should maybe switch to No Limits. Coasters and nothing but Coasters.I think, the coasters in PlanCo are very good for a GAME. Yes, they call the game a Simulation, and that's the reason, why anything else in the game looks so realistic (sarcasm). Look at Planco as it is, a game for fun, with very authentic, but not perfect elements.

Thanks for continuing this thread after the other one got closed for some reason.
I thought it'd be worth opening up a new discussion, though I don't think it'll get the attention it deserves on this new forum, and its a shame the other one was closed, it comes across very much like a lot being punished because one or 2 people can't stay on topic :/ though I think most who have stopped playing the game because of this issue probably haven't bothered to check out the new forums.

If that is the most important issue for you, then you should maybe switch to No Limits. Coasters and nothing but Coasters.I think, the coasters in PlanCo are very good for a GAME. Yes, they call the game a Simulation, and that's the reason, why anything else in the game looks so realistic (sarcasm). Look at Planco as it is, a game for fun, with very authentic, but not perfect elements.
I don't think that myself or anybody else should switch to No Limits, also its not really helping Frontier out by telling me to go play another game now is it? a lot of people complain that the coaster builder is too complicated but I really like the coaster builder in Planco, its just a shame that the "smooth" buttons don't make the coaster smooth ¯\(ツ)/¯ and I disagree with the sarcasm, I think everything in Planet Coaster looks realistic apart from the guests, but they breath in the realism with the way they react to things, their AI is pretty wonderful (or and maybe the sundial's supports being too close to guests legs) the thing is, A lot of people don't just want to make coasters, they want to make parks with realistic coasters, and if you get enjoyment out of the game and think there is nothing wrong with it, then that's fine, just others would like more enjoyment out of the game than they're actually getting~

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
Please ensure it stays on topic and be civil with each other. People are entitled to want an improvement in a particular aspect of the game as they are to suggest alternatives in the aim of being helpful, as long as it doesn't spiral out of control from here.

Sorry for my last post, but we discuss this topic since 2016, which means 3 years without a final result. Maybe you should just get used to the fact that it is impossible for the DEVS to soften the coasters as you would like. If they did not make it in the last three years, maybe that will be for a reason.

Personally, I'd just be happy with a more stable camera like the 4 coasters in my video below, but I know thats not the main issue for others~ but again, I've said it before, it feels very much like "well its done here, so why not here?"

Last edited:
I know I have said this before...but I really don't see or understand what the issue is. Those camera shots look smooth and fine to me.

Those camera shots look smooth and fine to me.
{{biggest sigh I've ever done}}

Yes, that video was to prove that coasters can be smoother, the flying coaster I'm using the camera that focuses on the first car from the front, so I'm using it for something its not meant to be used for (you can see this in the video)
The cascade (using seat cam) for whatever reason has a stable camera~
The wild mouse (using seat cam) for whatever reason has a stable camera~
The spinning coaster (again using seat cam) has a stable camera because the car spins, so it doesn't track a meter or 2 ahead, as mentioned in my first post, other coasters with a stable camera include the swinging coasters.

All other coasters though, as I already mentioned (and don't want to repeat myself but here I am) all have a wobbly camera, which you can see in the video in my first post, and they also track a meter or 2 ahead of the train, which is why we see "knee cam" check first post.

I'ma go ahead and quote myself.
"well its done here, so why not here?"

Last edited:
{{biggest sigh I've ever done}}

Yes, because instead of the seat cam, or camera thats closer to the track on the flying coaster, I used the camera that focuses on the car from the front and rotated it (you can see me do this in the video) The cascade, for some reason has a pretty stable camera (which is why I used it) and the spinning coaster I used, the camera is also stable because it would need to be stable if it were spinning, and the wild mouse, much like the cascade also uses a stable camera.

None of the other 25/or so coasters in game have a stable camera like the 3 in the video (I say 3 because I'm using a camera on the flying coaster thats not meant to be used that way) I guess another 2 with stable cameras include the swinging coasters? but again, check the first video to see whats happening to the camera when you look downwards~

But yeah, any other coaster in game is not as smooth as the 4 shown in the video, due to the cameras.

I agree. There is a difference in "camera smoothness" between the coasters.

For me, I still think longer track sections and larger banking radiusses could help a lot. the restriction on 90* banking is IMO not helping.

I agree. There is a difference in "camera smoothness" between the coasters.

For me, I still think longer track sections and larger banking radiusses could help a lot. the restriction on 90* banking is IMO not helping.
It's a shame really, I've been watching a few youtube series recently and its been making me want to open up the game again and start playing, but the first thing I do whenever I attempt making a new park is build a coaster, then start building the area around it (my architecture isn't good, but having a nice coaster keeps me there building) so when I'm testing the coaster, I get put off, there have been a few times where I've thought "Oh, they'll probably work on it/fix the issue, so that coaster is ok for now" but still... as I mentioned with the zenith, if you use the camera thats closer to track (the smoother of the 2) it ends up going through the track on inversion :/

I guess the game is fine for anyone that wants to use the pre-built parts, but thats a differen't case as they're script to tell the camera what to do during those inversions~ but nobody wants to use the prebuilt parts because that means less accuracy when it comes to building rl coasters/whatever we want.

Edit: the reason the wild mouse coaster is stable is because otherwise it'd do what it did in RCT3 (which was awful) the camera use to almost turn a full 180 during those tight turns, also I'm going to put a video up using the zenith shortly

Edit #2: here is what I meant with the zenith, as soon as we hit a left turning, the camera shifts to the right to a point where its almost hanging off the track.

Coastercam be like
50594776_2190233301241838_5155716215708057600_n.gif

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
If I were Carowinds I would make a disclaimer: "Our ride rides BETTER!"
Hahaha, indeed they should, a friend said something similar along the lines of "They're showing off a real life parks coaster, this is bad"

I was also saying to the same friend, with this whole "camera turning before car" issue, that RCT3's wild mouse cams would almost do a 180 on the tight turns, which is why Planco's wooden wild mouse has a more stable cam (so it doesn't look dumb) but then I looked up screamride because the builder is very similar, and again the camera turns before the car does, so not only does happen in RCT3, it also happens in Thrillville, Thillville: Off The Rails, Screamride, and now Planet Coaster, I don't think its something they're going to change and it makes me sad, because I know they're not going to drop that camera by time Planet Coaster 2 comes out, and we'll still be complaining.

At least in RCT3 you could press page down and the camera would lock to the car :/

But on this topic, 2019, i know.

Are we discussing ride cam, vs coaster track?

Because im pretty sure it was explained as in the problem lies where 2 trackpieces meet and that transition has a stop in continuous roll, as if theres a safe zone to start and finish points to a track piece, instead of fluid motion between the sections.

But on this topic, 2019, i know.

Are we discussing ride cam, vs coaster track?

Because im pretty sure it was explained as in the problem lies where 2 trackpieces meet and that transition has a stop in continuous roll, as if theres a safe zone to start and finish points to a track piece, instead of fluid motion between the sections.
I personally think it's more of a camera issue, otherwise The Cascade and Spinning coaster wouldn't wouldn't be smoother than any other coaster in game. I think the different track segments tell the "passenger" cam to react in a certain way, based on the videos I posted above, you can see the passenger cam does nothing but wobble.

RCT3 has the same camera that Planet Coaster does, remember in RCT3 when you'd use a wild mouse coaster and the camera would almost do a full 180 before turning? that'd look stupid in Planco on the wooden wild mouse though wouldn't it? so what did they do different? :p the cool difference between both though is that RCT3 had the option to press page down, and it'd be a more stable camera (unless a train went underground and then it'd reset haha)

If you change the camera angle to track height, you can see that the problem is not the camera but the track transitions that @Aaronroberts12567 mentions in the post above.
That "non continuous roll"-problem has been discussed and lamented since day one of PlanCo...sadly to never be adressed by Frontier.

Top Bottom