Coaster Type "New/Worn/Rusty"

It would be GREAT , especially for creating "Themed areas" or parks, that we can have our coasters looking either new, used or a total rust bucket

Im not talking about extra themes or anything, just less cleaner paintwork, with rust spots and bits missing

Thanks

Giving the option to to add it as an cosmetic feature would be cool. I'd also like to see this applied to coasters whom didn't get maintained often. Say your park is 10-15 years old.

Having rides show wear and tear after a few years would be very cool, but probably a bit too complex to program.

A cosmetic effect that we could choose to apply though would work just fine [up]

Shouldnt be too hard to program. I don't know how the Cobra engine works. But really you could have three versions of each coaster skin. Then over time switch them out. Sims 4 uses a similar technique for sims cleanliness. You dont shower they switch out a "dirty" skin.

They can make slight modifications to how the supports are rendered (maybe a darker colour tone perhaps) on, for example a Wooden Coaster, depending on the wear and tear condition. It also makes a good visual indicator for the player that the coaster may need refurbishment because it's starting to "decay".

Shouldnt be too hard to program. I don't know how the Cobra engine works. But really you could have three versions of each coaster skin. Then over time switch them out. Sims 4 uses a similar technique for sims cleanliness. You dont shower they switch out a "dirty" skin.

and how would we "shower" a dirty ride? Would mechanics/janitors wash them? Your asking for a purely cosmetic effect and acting like it would be easy to turn into an actual gameplay function. What effect would this have on management? Thats an awful lot of various effects for each ride and track piece, like I said if it was an option thats cool.

Last edited:
and how would we "shower" a dirty ride? Would mechanics/janitors wash them? Your asking for a purely cosmetic effect and acting like it would be easy to turn into an actual gameplay function. What effect would this have on management? Thats an awful lot of various effects for each ride and track piece, like I said if it was an option thats cool.

Just spitballin' here, but wouldn't showering a dirty ride be part of the refurbishment?

big words like refurbish mean what exactly. explain how we would do that? would it be a button that says "improve ride" we click and presto its magically back to new?

It would for the most part being purely cosmetic. Its not like it be remotely easy to bring in actual metal conditioning into the existing simulation. . Nor would I want to. That complexity be a bit much . Im saying give a visual representation to a ride who wasn't maintained regularly. If you maintained a ride once a month every month. In 10 years the ride would appear clean and not rusty or worn. Don't see small bits of rust appear. Dirt,ect.

And really what else would any of this be in a tycoon game, other then clicking a button? or dropping down a new item? Its like with training: Would you want to actually have to show your employee how to clean up puke better? If you did, how would you even do so in a manner in a game thats easy to understand and allows for wider range audience to enjoy? Its most likely going to be a button in an interface to up their training.

To me a big part of the appeal to RCT games has been its approachability. I was never able to get into City Builders when I was younger. Sim City 2000, 3000 and the like. RCT was easier enough to understand. It was simple enough I could have success early on and feel it was worth going on. Other games punished me from the minute I started playing. I like added features and a bit of challenge so long as it doesnt get in the way of approachability. Part of why I love Planet Coaster is its approachability.

big words like refurbish mean what exactly. explain how we would do that? would it be a button that says "improve ride" we click and presto its magically back to new?

Well, it could be part of the current refurbishment button, or an extra button/option (refurbish/repaint) or what have you. It doesn't have to be instant. It can be like it is now with engineers needed to physically visit a ride and perform the "refurbishment". It can function a lot like it is now, only with more visual cues from the ride itself. Or, the refurbishment button opens a new refurbishment panel with various options that you can choose from (with various pricing models).. etc. I mean, it can go as far as you want or be as simple as you want.

Just spitballin' here, but wouldn't showering a dirty ride be part of the refurbishment?

Yes. I think it would.

Not sure if refurbish times scale at the moment. I just haven't timed it but if you leave a ride un furbished for a long time, it costs more, but does it take any longer to finish? It would take longer f course, to repaint the ride and supports, and depending on how long you left it unattanded .. making it either a quick touch up or sandblast back to original wood/metal. You might have an option perhaps to include touch up paint as part of general maintainance, maybe putting some extra strain on your mechanics' work rate.

Cool idea I think.

Yes. I think it would.

Not sure if refurbish times scale at the moment. I just haven't timed it but if you leave a ride un furbished for a long time, it costs more, but does it take any longer to finish? It would take longer f course, to repaint the ride and supports, and depending on how long you left it unattanded .. making it either a quick touch up or sandblast back to original wood/metal. You might have an option perhaps to include touch up paint as part of general maintainance, maybe putting some extra strain on your mechanics' work rate.

Cool idea I think.

From what I observed, it takes always the same time. That´s why I´m a bit dissapointed. When I heard this will be ingame, I thought developers will do something interesting with it. As I suggested before, I would make old and unmaintained rides potentialy dangerous. As mentioned here, rust and wear would be a great indicator of ride that needs your attention and might be even dangerous.

Making possibility to assign more employees for particular refurbishment could also make the process slower/faster.

We can have 'factory-new' coasters, or 'field-tested' ones, maybe stattrack ? [wink]

(CS:GO reference)

On-topic: definitely a good idea. However, I don't know how difficult it is for the devs to implent a feature of a ride getting rusty over time.

Last edited:
yeah we can forget the happening over time implementation for now, for the sake of getting it in, allow us to paint the coaster when a drop box "New/used/rusty"so there wouldn't be a change over time, meaning the 3 schemes can be implemented fairly quickly , regarding the changing over time however this is something that in the future could be investigated for the bigger expansion DLC packs maybe ?

would love to hear how Frontier feel about this idea, it would breath some more "LIFE" into the game and would also fit with "Simulation evolved"

with the new coaster aging system, this idea would now be PERFECT for the coasters, the extra skins of older paint and rusty paint would give us a further "Living UI" that Frontier are proud of ,

we wouldn't need to check a menu like we do now to see what age the coaster is , the PAINT would tell us,

requesting refurbishment would then also repaint the ride from rusty to old or maybe even new (Ideally having a system whereby you can refurbish to brand new or just do half a job and the paint again matching)

My idea along with whats been implemented would be AMAZING - Please Frontier, PLEASE.

Top Bottom