Cobra mk3 for exploring?

Yeah, DBX is definitely one to consider. By most practical measures its a better ship for exploration than the Mk3, but as madmattnz says it feels bit rougher round the edges - quite deliberately, I'm sure - but that may be something you like, as lots of others do. It is more expensive than the Mk3 of course.

I have explored in a DBX and thoroughly enjoyed it. The DBX was replaced by an AspX, which has since been replacedd by a Phantom, but I still enjoy using the DBX as a bubble taxi albeit with a slightly tweaked configuration. It can flit across the bubble in no time at all.

cool :) ill give it a go, kinda sounds like my car, rough around the edges, but still fun to drive haha.

Yeah liking the look of the phantom, but something to use while i save up the 38mil (plus however much to kit it out, 60 mil maybe? hopefully? lol) would be good, so could use the DBX while i save.

More like this than a car...

s-l1600.jpg

just saw i had clean instead of dirty thrusters, also some modules were only G3 rather than G5. my mistake. (ill get the hang of this eventually). Anyway here's the actual build:

Instead of the overcharged powerplant, you could go for armored + thermal spread (sturdier) or low emissions (grade 2) + monstered. Either will be much cooler than the one you selected, which will make scooping much more relaxed.
You might also consider a heat sink launcher - for moments like this:
sNxB61R.jpg

And you really don't need two AFMUs. You can refill the AFMU with synthesis - and if you really should manage to damage the single AFMU into being unuseable while you still have some powerplant left, you can always reboot&repair that single AFMU back into serviceability. On the other hand, if you don't know what else to fit in that slot, the AFMU doesn't weigh anything, and filling all slots is good for damage distribution.

Fair enough about the powerplant. i was more interested in getting the stripped down experimental effect than anything else, get its mass down to get my jump range up. but ill try those and see what its like.

Cool, good point (and awesome picture btw). ill stick a heat sink on it.

Sorry that second AFMU should be a 2E cargo rack. Tho might swap it back for a second AFMU if/hen i do that neutron highway thingy-mebob.

Think ill have a go at an Asp Explorer exploration build next :).

Also had another) go at a cobra mk3 explorer build: https://s.orbis.zone/6dqh (definitely got a fuel scoop this time :p)
You don't need weapons when out exploring because there's nothing to shoot, neither do you need strong shields. Get rid of them and the chaff. A heatsink would be useful in case you fall asleep and crash into a star. Then you can go down to a 2A powerplant and get a bit more jump range.

This is the build that I use for my long-range DBX:

It's the same with the Asp:

Just a word of warning - if you go to the beacon at the centre of the galaxy (Sag. A), mysteriously, there are pirates there (wings of 4), so whatever you do, don't have any cargo in your hold when you arrive, otherwise you'll be back in the bubble looking at the re-buy screen. There are no pirates anywher once you leave the bubble, except if you carry any cargo that they can sniff from 100,000 LY away. A cargo rack is also a waste of space because there isn't anything to collect out there, though in a bigger ship, you can take a repair limpet controller to repair your hull, so you need a cargo rack to synthesise the limpets into.

Last edited:
The mining tool and a small laser are recommended if you can spare the weight. The mining tool lets you get materials in a pinch, the laser is useful for prodding stuff (and recording the reaction for the Codex).

I'm dropping this in here albeit its slightly off topic. I'v been toying with Coriolis and have drafted the build for a max jump range Anaconda.

Traveller

What I don't get is, this is the most stripped down and engineered thing I can build on Coriolis and it sill won't top 80 ly. While I think that's still a good Jump range I hear tell of ships with jump ranges that exceed that and I simply do not understand how that is possible without jumponium - which you are not going to use every time. Sure for a wee boost to cross a gap, but not regular. So can anyone tell me whats missing?

I'm dropping this in here albeit its slightly off topic. I'v been toying with Coriolis and have drafted the build for a max jump range Anaconda.

Traveller

What I don't get is, this is the most stripped down and engineered thing I can build on Coriolis and it sill won't top 80 ly. While I think that's still a good Jump range I hear tell of ships with jump ranges that exceed that and I simply do not understand how that is possible without jumponium - which you are not going to use every time. Sure for a wee boost to cross a gap, but not regular. So can anyone tell me whats missing?
You weren't quite being extreme enough with the weight shedding. There you go:
Traveller mk2

I'd never take a none build like that into the black. It is asking to see a rebuy screen. I say that as someone who has taken a pre heat fixed Dolphin to Sag A twice and Beagle once.

I'm not really a fan of this sort of build either. My explorer Phantom has 6A drives (g5 dirties) for canyon running, an SRV and a shield for at least some protection when booping planets. The 80 ly Anaconda does have its uses if you're trying to jumponium neutron boost to somewhere that's otherwise unreachable just to say you've been there though (the Anaconda graveyard springs to mind).

Top Bottom