Cockpit colour theme & could it be dynamic?

This is probably the n-th time the request for an in-game cockpit colour editor pops up, so I'll just leave it at that. Sure, we have the ability to edit config files, but that's not user friendly, it's not safe, and quite frankly, most results aren't even that nice (can't have a blue'ish cockpit UI with standard white/red/green/etc. markers for nearby ships, for example).

And the possibilities here are plentiful! Imagine having a different cockpit colouring for your different ships? Now, we could take this one step further! We could have something more "context" sensitive... imagine a green / blue when you're travelling around and everything's all-oh-key. Then, suddenly, you get attacked! HUD changes RED as you deploy hardpoints and get your weapons hot...

Remember that scene from Avengers when Iron Man's HUD changes? Something like that...

And the tech seems to be in the game already, as the game's clearly capable of rendering differently coloured HUDs, so... any chance we could get that at some point, please? :)

This is probably the n-th time the request for an in-game cockpit colour editor pops up, so I'll just leave it at that. Sure, we have the ability to edit config files, but that's not user friendly, it's not safe, and quite frankly, most results aren't even that nice (can't have a blue'ish cockpit UI with standard white/red/green/etc. markers for nearby ships, for example).

And the possibilities here are plentiful! Imagine having a different cockpit colouring for your different ships? Now, we could take this one step further! We could have something more "context" sensitive... imagine a green / blue when you're travelling around and everything's all-oh-key. Then, suddenly, you get attacked! HUD changes RED as you deploy hardpoints and get your weapons hot...

Remember that scene from Avengers when Iron Man's HUD changes? Something like that...

And the tech seems to be in the game already, as the game's clearly capable of rendering differently coloured HUDs, so... any chance we could get that at some point, please? :)

+1. Yeah, the "Red Alert" thing would be pretty cool.

You could download Dr Kai's useful little tool.

It does it all for you and you can experiment before you decide or pick from existing profiles. With the new update you can also tweak the settings for your graphics too which is kind of fun.

Edit: Here is a handy link.

http://www.drkaii.com/tools/edprofiler/

what's not safe about editing config file?

For me, personally, nothing. But from a usability standpoint, this is terrible. Change the file in the wrong way, and suddenly you got a host of strange problems.

Don't get me wrong - it's GOOD that we have config files that we can edit... but such edits should be reserved for APIs and external tools, or modders. If you're trying to make a feature for the Average Joe (especially the Average "Gamer" Joe), then this is definitely not the way.

For me, personally, nothing. But from a usability standpoint, this is terrible. Change the file in the wrong way, and suddenly you got a host of strange problems.

Don't get me wrong - it's GOOD that we have config files that we can edit... but such edits should be reserved for APIs and external tools, or modders. If you're trying to make a feature for the Average Joe (especially the Average "Gamer" Joe), then this is definitely not the way.

I understand that it is not "user friendly", but as far as being not safe?
i'm sorry, you either don't know what you're talking about, or you're trying to make your statement look more serious.
If you change GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml (file you should edit to make your UI colour changes) in "wrong way", all you're going to achieve is... nothing. Game will ignore the file and run standard configuration instead.

I don't have anything against UI being configurable in-game, although UI color changing can be achieved so easily without it (one tool has been linked earlier), that this feature on it's own is simply not that important.

"Game developer unable to change HUD colour of own game because it would be too difficult" would make for a great satire headline. Except it's not even satire. I'm sad now.

I understand that it is not "user friendly", but as far as being not safe?
i'm sorry, you either don't know what you're talking about, or you're trying to make your statement look more serious.
If you change GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml (file you should edit to make your UI colour changes) in "wrong way", all you're going to achieve is... nothing. Game will ignore the file and run standard configuration instead.

I don't wish to argue over this, as this wasn't really the point. ;) I guess you're right and my choice of words wasn't the best.

The point, however, was to implement this feature in-game, finally, in a proper fashion. The tools mentioned (or even manual config editing) don't really give us a way to customize... fully. It's a colour filter, basically, so you almost always end up with weird colours, like no clearly discernable colour for enemies. AND, since we're talking about colours and only colours, we could potentially have so much more fun things with this! But... alas, the game only has that array of 9 values to play around with...

Last edited:
Top Bottom