Codex Bug #{n} .... oh COME ON!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38366
  • Start date

Deleted member 38366

D
So here I am on a Codex tour - and I manage to stumble onto something. Something not yet in the Codex. Cool, huh?

Except - it's not. Why? Scan doesn't register. I know, turned it off and back on again. Nada. Scanned 30 different ones. Still nothing. Sounds familiar?

So there's your Purpureum Ice Crystals for the Outer Orion Spur :p

PS.
There's a 2nd NSP in the same System, but I reckon it'll give me the same bug.

After this System I'll turn straight back around and abort my Exploration run. This is utterly pointless, what a waste of time.
FDev really knows how to screw things up. Btw. that's not my 1st encounter with unscannable items that would have been a 1st Discovery.

And indeed, the Flavum Ice Crystals are unscannable just as well....

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 38366

D
Hm, I kinda doubt EDSM will register that, since the Journal doesn't register anything either.

Thus - nothing noteworthy here according to the Game and as a result also EDSM for what it's worth.

Yeah, it's all over the place - some things go in the journal but disappear on restart, some just don't appear at all. issue was raised in or close after the beta, one of the first few confirmed and voted up. Quite annoying.

Can you elaborate on the problem, as I don't quite understand (just by chance scanned two crystals in Colonia today with the scanner and it worked without problems) ?

Does the scan not work? Or does the scan work but it doesn't register? (Like for me Sag A*?)

Some objects won't scan at all, and some scan, but then disappear from your codex on a relog. Lots of posts from people happy to find stuff 'first' - quickly followed by irate posts when they rescan, sometimes going back 100's of LY. Which personally I find hilarious, but understand why it's annoying.

Deleted member 38366

D
Can you elaborate on the problem, as I don't quite understand (just by chance scanned two crystals in Colonia today with the scanner and it worked without problems) ?

Does the scan not work? Or does the scan work but it doesn't register? (Like for me Sag A*?)

Yes,. similar to what I experienced with Anemones in the Colonia Sector, the Composition Scanner completes the scan but nothing registers, nothing happens.
So placing the find into the Codex is impossible.

I sort of hoped this old V3.3.0 Bug was patched already (supposedly was) but I guess I was wrong.

Are you in the Smoj Crystal Fields by any chance?

No, this is where it is located (Drokoe CZ-R c20-1, within 150LY of the NGC 3199 Nebula) :

A pity, since it makes for a quite pretty scenery, definitely worthy of a Tourist Beacon :)

Deleted member 38366

D
lol, definitely bugged

Drokoe CX-I d10-2 (my next jump) has 2 NSPs as well, but neither the Ice Crystals nor the Metallic Crystals here scan either. Only Solid Mineral Spheres properly scanned.

So yeah... quite pointless exercise with such a bugged Codex.

Deleted member 38366

D
Jeebus, this place is trolling me hard.... In Drokoe FD-H d11-7 now and it's the same all over.

So there's unscannable Object number... uhm, I forgot. 5? 6? 8?
The place all around NGC 3199 is crawled with NSPs - but they're all useless/unscannable.

-- edit --
Yup, wasn't joking. Game is trolling like an oldpro.

2 jumps, another NSP (Drokoe ED-H d11-2) with unscannable content.

Jeebus, this place is trolling me hard.... In Drokoe FD-H d11-7 now and it's the same all over.

So there's unscannable Object number... uhm, I forgot. 5? 6? 8?
The place all around NGC 3199 is crawled with NSPs - but they're all useless/unscannable.

View attachment 135449

-- edit --
Yup, wasn't joking. Game is trolling like an oldpro.

2 jumps, another NSP (Drokoe ED-H d11-2) with unscannable content.
View attachment 135459

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?
90% of the weirdness I experience in ED goes away after I restart the game.

The real joy will come when you are finally able to scan it and get your name up in lights in the Codex, only to find that your name is replaced one week later by the actual person who first discovered it a month earlier.

Restarting the game won't help in this case. Some items simply aren't scannable for the codex, and others scan but don't persist, because they're already discovered on the server, but not properly reported to the game clients that this is the case.

What's annoying is that this was supposedly fixed, according to patch notes, but mostly remained unchanged. But then, I've noticed a bunch of instances where that's been the case.

I have no doubt they have been discovered before but aren't registering for anyone, it's dissapointing this bug is still around but at least it seems the same for everyone, no-one is getting an unfair advantage in discovering stuff.

Deleted member 38366

D
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?
90% of the weirdness I experience in ED goes away after I restart the game.

Yup, that was amongst the 1st things I tried ;)

I have no doubt they have been discovered before but aren't registering for anyone, it's dissapointing this bug is still around but at least it seems the same for everyone, no-one is getting an unfair advantage in discovering stuff.

Yes, that's indeed quite likely. No way of telling though, since a few Systems I went through were untagged.

At least now we know that probably alot of Sectors have entire branches of things that are bugged. I remember Anemones alone were bugged in plenty of Sectors, while they worked properly in a few. That likely explains the disparity in number of discoveries across different Sectors.

Deleted member 38366

D
Yeah, I feel 'ya.

I had a 30000LY plot for this run but have abandoned that trip now and will lump home instead. These bugs mean a huge waste of time.
Had that key PR sentence from FDev in my ears yesterday all the time "We respect your time(tm)" ... Reality keeps proving them liars on that though.

Oh well, maybe there's some ELWs to pick up on the way back, at least those work (for now) :p

I view the Codex as pointless, in large part because of this type of buggy behaviour. It makes a nonsense of it being introduced in the first place.

The FSS still goes off on a drunken cruise sometimes when looking at distant objects, and planets regularly show up fully scanned in the DSS when I’ve never been anywhere near them (plus we now get the entertainment of seeing nearby planets getting the scan markings at the same time as the object being scanned :) )

All these things were marked as “fixed” in various patches. My level of confidence in any of them being truly fixed is very low at this point.

As an aside, the new “make it easier for newbies” descriptions and updates threw up something interesting last night: I selected a planet to travel to in the nav panel after first entering the system (It had bio signals come up). Selecting targets now gives you the option to see “more information” about it, eg pad size available, faction, etc. One of the items is “Mapped?” which shows Yes or No, depending on whether you have probed it. Well, in this case, it showed as “Yes” even though I had never been in the system before, let alone visit or probe the planet! Sure enough, when I arrived at it, it was showing fully scanned in the DSS view... I’m not sure what this really tells us, but it seems that the scan status isn’t affected by travel to the object, perhaps. (On the sysmap, it showed correctly as “You have not yet mapped this planet”)

Top Bottom