Newcomer / Intro Col 70 sector.

OK, I'm not a new player- far from it; but pretty much a virgin on the forums here. Some background. I've been playing ED on and off for years, always enjoyed it but sometimes you need something different to capture the imagination so you can then return to ED refreshed and ready for more. I am Elite in combat, Tycoon and Elite in exploration.
So..... having hit Elite in exploration this last weekend I was wondering what to do. I eventually settled on filling out my codex entries for the Inner Spur territory. Long story greatly curtailed, I end up in a system in the Spirograph sector and log a spheroid mineral form in the rings of a planet- system is BD-12 1172, and then my troubles began. How the hell to navigate around an ENTIRE SECTOR which is permit blocked? I've now spent about 10 hours trying to find a way back to the bubble and failed utterly. I would greatly appreciate any help/advice or guidance in resolving this hideous situation- how to escape the enormous sprawl of the col 70 sector? Is there a way in the lower reaches of the galaxy? The upper? Go west or east? I've clocked well over 3000 light years in jumps and just ended up back at BD-12 1172 in an effort to retrace my steps which is not working.
I'd like 5 minutes alone with the person responsible for permit blocking entire sectors along with a rusty pair of pliers, a bag of marshmallows and a rat's foot- they'd wish their grandparents had never been born! :p
I've considered bailing out of my ship but as it's 5* engineered on FSD this really is a final solution as that engineering was a massive pain to resource. I didn't use any FSD boost to get here btw.
Thanks in advance for any help offered- I wonder how many people FD has put off this game for life owing to being trapped in the same situation? A fair few is my guess.

If you do self destruct all you would lose would be unsold data as your ship as it stands can be resurrected as long as you have enough credits for the rebuy unless of course you choose to play some variant of Ironman.

My suggestion is go into the galaxy map and change the filter from Star Type to Visited Stars then click the check boxes so that apply filter to route and Visited stars are both selected. The map should now only show stars you have been to which should let you retrace your steps to get out of their.

Try heading away in any direction you can play (doesn't matter what direction*, as long as you can plot ~ 5k. Then follow that route. Every so often see if you can now plot to the bubble - once you can then do. Simples.

* well, plotting directly away from the bubble is probably a bad idea :)

Deepest and most sincere thanks to all who have responded to my distress call, really do appreciate your time, effort and willingness to be helpful- thankyou. I shall give all your suggestions a try and see how I get on- I'll let you know in due course!

Route to Sol now plotted! Again many thanks to all. As I see it the secret is to get to the Witch Head sector systems then head as far north and especially down low as you can which will enable you to reach the Synuefe sector which signals an end to the interference of the dreaded Col 70 sector. It's been a lesson hard learned here, a comparable analogy would be setting off on a round the world yacht race and being told that you can't use the North or South Atlantic! It really is a travesty of a situation and I really hope the good people at Frontier Developments are fully aware of the stress and heartache that this particular policy has caused. Well, as a result of the help I have received here I'll be looking in on the forums every now and again and attempting to help other poor souls in a similar mess- several thousand gameplay hours must have taught me some useful tips that someone would like at some point!
Thanks again.

It really is a travesty of a situation and I really hope the good people at Frontier Developments are fully aware of the stress and heartache that this particular policy has caused.
Yeah, it's terrible that a game about flying spaceship has a tiny bit of navigation eh? Who warned us that ships need to navigate? ;)

Anyway, glad you escaped!
o7

I vaguely recall visiting Spirograph on my 5kLy Palin pilgrimage long time ago, and I frankly don't understand the problem OP had in the first place... Just go over, under, left or right of the permit locked region... As long as you have fuel and can plot the next route leg you're fine. If you get somehow stuck where stars are less dense, just backtrack, you even have visited stars filter now.

I vaguely recall visiting Spirograph on my 5kLy Palin pilgrimage long time ago, and I frankly don't understand the problem OP had in the first place... Just go over, under, left or right of the permit locked region... As long as you have fuel and can plot the next route leg you're fine. If you get somehow stuck where stars are less dense, just backtrack, you even have visited stars filter now.
The exact problem was getting trapped in a pocket caused by the inaccessible Col 70 sector systems, the way out is very difficult to find and needed an lot of manual navigation- which I'm fine with btw- and a healthy dose of luck to find the way out of said pocket! Hope that clarifies. Oh and visited stars filter would've been ideal had I known about it- but as I'd logged off twice in the 10 hours of fruitless searching for the exit it was close to useless as it resets at logging off!

The Col 70 heirarchy of permit-locked sectors is kind of like one of those old-fashioned glass flytraps - getting in is difficult, but getting out is much harder.

I've reposted it before, and I'll do it again: Jackie Silver's map of permit-locked space, cross-sectioned at y=-310:
3QI1aZZ.png

If you're stuck inside one of those little bubbles, you need to aim for the neck: look for "Col 69" systems; keep going out in a straight line through the Col 69 sector, and once you leave Col 69 behind, you should be OK to turn around and head back towards the Bubble. Alternatively, if your jump range is long enough (I think you need over 50 LY) , aim for Witch Head Sector and punch through the wall to Synuefe from there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom