Collecting Caustic Tissue becomes to be a nightmare

I was struggling with this big time at the start with a chieftain, just kept dying. I tried copying Alec turner build, the info was good but the build not so much.

I fully engineered a clipper, fully being the word, you cant really skimp on engineering.

I see a lot of builds using the meta alloy hull reinforcements, I stacked military grade composite fully engineered deep plating. Just tanked the caustic damage, A repair limpet was repairing me faster than the normal caustic damage.

Unless you arrange the transaction, there's practically zero chance of coming across some samples for sale.
I honestly had no problem in buying 5 samples in an unarranged transaction. I looked in Inara in the "where to buy section", found someone selling around 30 samples and got 5 of them. Maybe just luck, though (?). But worth a try ..

Just got my unlock mats - used a very engineered, cold Clipper build, and listened to all the advice here. I was able to sneak away from the glaives every time, by dropping a heat sink before jumping, and going to silent running straight away after interdiction. At least you get a chance to repair at the edge of the maelstrom. Challenging, but rewarding!

Yeh I managed this all on my first attempt with my cutter, built for the task. I have to say that if we're measuring this game loop for its difficulty but using one of the best ships, outfitted in the best way, which can only be done after extensive unlocking and engineering then it's not really a good yard stick :)

I eventually managed to work out how to get the various materials and avoid a lot of the caustic damage entirely but this does require quite a lot of patience. I wasn't specifically going for this and had to repair/decontaminate my hull dozens of times throughout the process (but this was absolutely fine and felt quite fun, again in my massive, highly upgraded and purpose built Cutter). I do not think medium or small ships would make any of this process "easier", due to limited internals. Certainly not the sort of thing you can do in one continuous sitting. I think that's OK, as needing to leave and repair/unload isn't the worst thing. But if you attempt any of this in a ship that isn't engineered for strong hull (and more so if you haven't yet gotten the corrosion resitant cargo racks) then I imagine it would be a very frustrating process compared to what I experienced.

A game that used to be genuinely well known for "you can do anything in a sidewinder" has sort of gone quite a long way from that in recent years. I don't think it's necessary to be that way, it's just an observation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom