Colonia Speedrun Competition (w/Buckyball Racing & Frontier - PRIZES!!!)

Rhetorical question: you know there are terrible terrible gweefers out there in Colonia? 😜
(I'm currently in the bubble, hope to be back via carrier tomorrow)

What's the current record? 1:18?
Fly safe and good luck out there CMDRs. If you see my FdL in Colonia don't worry, I'm running missions... promise.

The third-party tools, the figuring out how to self-repair from the FSD damage they cause, calculating optimal fuel levels to chain up Neutron stars...wasn't as simple as plug in "Sol to Checkpoint to Colonia" in the in-game SpaceGPS. Logistics.
Yeah, I must confess I can see the sense of that. Once you allow Neutrons you bring in the use of 3rd party tools like Spansh and a competitive run becomes a sequence of jump, alt-tab, copy next neutron location, alt-tab, arrive, scoop, plot, paste, repeat. It's a bit immersion breaking sadly (and also divides PC from console). As a race advisor on this I probably should have spotted that and suggested ruling out neutrons. Oh well ... we live and learn!

Edit: On the other hand - the in-game stuff around neutrons (learning how to safely fly through the cone plus juggling the use of the AFMU is kinda awesome and imho adds nicely to the challenge).

Last edited:
The third-party tools, the figuring out how to self-repair from the FSD damage they cause, calculating optimal fuel levels to chain up Neutron stars...wasn't as simple as plug in "Sol to Checkpoint to Colonia" in the in-game SpaceGPS. Logistics.

Yeah, I suppose that's all fair - I really just didn't want to tie the hands of that class given it was already going to take much longer to get out there. Next time we do this I'll consider removing them.

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

Yeah, I must confess I can see the sense of that. Once you allow Neutrons you bring in the use of 3rd party tools like Spansh and a competitive run becomes a sequence of jump, alt-tab, copy next neutron location, alt-tab, arrive, scoop, plot, paste, repeat. It's a bit immersion breaking sadly (and also divides PC from console). As a race advisor on this I probably should have spotted that and suggested ruling out neutrons. Oh well ... we live and learn!

Edit: On the other hand - the in-game stuff around neutrons (learning how to safely fly through the cone plus juggling the use of the AFMU is kinda awesome and imho adds nicely to the challenge).

Yeah, I suppose that's all fair - I really just didn't want to tie the hands of that class given it was already going to take much longer to get out there. Next time we do this I'll consider removing them.

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

Honestly, if I could have my way, I'm gonna run it vanilla, and if that damns my chance at winning a prize, so be it.

To the actual host, Exigeous, thank you for allowing me to politely question the rules. Just saying, if the deadline isn't so strict, maybe things are open to negotiation...

Oh, by the way, part of my whole edge is that a total "Buckyball Classic" build WOULD take a damn long time! ;) Call it an ulterior motive, but at least I'm transparent about it.

Last edited:
Rhetorical question: you know there are terrible terrible gweefers out there in Colonia? 😜
(I'm currently in the bubble, hope to be back via carrier tomorrow)

What's the current record? 1:18?
Fly safe and good luck out there CMDRs. If you see my FdL in Colonia don't worry, I'm running missions... promise.
But you wouldn't shoot at an old friend from Operation Ida would you @Bigmaec? ;)

Hmm, glances at the name of the only Cmdr to kill me pvp... oh, turns out it's another old Op Ida friend... Oh well! :ROFLMAO:

Ordinarily I tend to fly in open, especially at Buckyball events (been using solo more recently while getting used to VR), but this race is Solo only - so the only gweefers are those silly npcs who "travelled a long way to find you."

Engineered Competition
  • MUST be in Solo mode (and include evidence in video)
Unengineered Competition
  • MUST be in Solo mode (and include evidence in video

But you wouldn't shoot at an old friend from Operation Ida would you @Bigmaec? ;)

Hmm, glances at the name of the only Cmdr to kill me pvp... oh, turns out it's another old Op Ida friend... Oh well! :ROFLMAO:

Ordinarily I tend to fly in open, especially at Buckyball events (been using solo more recently while getting used to VR), but this race is Solo only - so the only gweefers are those silly npcs who "travelled a long way to find you."
I generally don't shoot explorers, and in reality Colonia is quite safe.
But sometimes I interdict people for fun, like Ozric, who was also buckyballing at that time 😅

But it's solo anyways.

Too late! lol. 1 hour 47 minutes is the very first entry. That's impressive, and also daunting, eh?

Yeah, this is why I won't be sharing times until we're done as I don't want to discourage people from even trying.

@Exigeous is it permitted to enter both the engineered and unengineered competitions?

I hadn't thought of that but I'm gonna say - no. Reason being the unengineered competition is designed for those who can't engineer so I wouldn't think it fair if an advanced player competed in both. I suppose you could enter both but could only win the engineered bracket, the un-engineered would be just for fun.

Fair enough?

I generally don't shoot explorers, and in reality Colonia is quite safe.
But sometimes I interdict people for fun, like Ozric, who was also buckyballing at that time 😅

But it's solo anyways.

Yeah, while doing this in solo does preclude the possibility of getting ganked/griefed that wasn't at all the reason behind it. I always espouse playing in open, especially in something like this where the odds on even seeing another human is next to zero.

Yeah, while doing this in solo does preclude the possibility of getting ganked/griefed that wasn't at all the reason behind it. I always espouse playing in open, especially in something like this where the odds on even seeing another human is next to zero.
Why solo by the way? I thought to prevent getting an unfair disadvantage, but your comment here lets me think it's something else? So what's the reason?
Just curious.

Maybe there should be a third race type. Let's call it 'Back to Basics'. Same as un-engineered class, except no neutron stars allowed.

Reason being the unengineered competition is designed for those who can't engineer so I wouldn't think it fair if an advanced player competed in both. I suppose you could enter both but could only win the engineered bracket, the un-engineered would be just for fun.

And that is why I was advocating for no Neutrons, since those who aren't advanced (specifically including myself) would have an extra layer of complexity to grapple with. Also explained as:

Maybe there should be a third race type. Let's call it 'Back to Basics'. Same as un-engineered class, except no neutron stars allowed.

Still, though, I'll be running my own vanilla/Classic effort as soon as I can. Got about 250 jumps till home, plus some other Real Life interruptions. ETA sometime next week. (And yeah, seriously, part of what I like about the "Classic" series is that all you need is a block of time, and a stubborn spirit. I have both.)

No complaints about Solo Only; I can appreciate the intention of keeping other players (specifically including the small chance of griefers) out of the equation.

Last edited:
Why solo by the way?

A few reasons - to prevent any external influence but mainly there is a bug that when in multicrew your modules won't malfunction no matter their damage level. So you could fly all the way there, neutron boosting the whole time and so long as your FSD is above 0% you'd never have to stop to repair it.

Any suggestions to keep the video quality acceptable while not taking up the entire drive space?

Hard to answer as it's dependent on what you use to record. If you're using ShadowPlay/GeForce Experience just set the bitrate to like 5-10MB and it shouldn't be too bad.

While a good idea and you, and others could do this I don't want to add anything new to this competition. Next time we'll do that for sure.

since those who aren't advanced (specifically including myself) would have an extra layer of complexity to grapple with...

While I get what you mean I would never call neutron boosting "advanced" in the slightest, no more so than docking without a docking computer. Again I didn't want to make it take as much as 4 times longer for the already slow class. We'll do this next time though given the requests.

Ok completed my first ever Neutron run

Its not fast
Its not pretty

But I did survive (mostly)

Things I got from this

It is nowhere near as easy as I would have expected
You can save a boost if you only do normal jumps in between
You can copy and paste the route.

I may even try again now I have an idea what is involved

there is a bug that when in multicrew your modules won't malfunction no matter their damage level
Sssssshhhh … don’t tell anyone. It’s very useful on lang range rat cases ;)

Also I thought I was the first one to find that out. OTOH I haven’t been quiet about it, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s common knowledge now.

Top Bottom