Ships Combat Corvette improvement (PVE & PVP)

I know, Corvette isn't meta and everyone should only try the proven methods, right? But where's the fun in that? I want to give the Corvette a chance, maybe it becomes apparent some day that I should use a more agile ship for PVP and just go with the meta, but until that time I'm just flying in my corvette. Here's the current build:
The collector limpets and cargo bay are a new addition, I just wanted to speed things up when farming pirates. They are obviously the first to be replaced if this ship proves inadequate in too many PVP fights. Next up would be the FSD interdictor and finally even the supercruise assist. I'm not sure if my idea of going all-in with shields is going to work, but right now it feels like I shouldn't be using hull/module reinforcement modules, and instead should just run before the shields are going to finally drop. I'd probably just replace the convenience modules with more SCBs, and perhaps even replace some Guardian Shield Reinforcements with SCBs, too. Of course when going all-in with shields, having other than light alloys seems to go against the idea, but it's only 60 tons and hardly affects ship agility. It has already saved me when I get overwhelmed too quickly, or face phasing weapons.

The idea for the current build is to have decent long range damage with the huge & small beams, but also good DPE when close up with the rest of the guns. The high yield cannons seem pretty good in PVE, haven't tested them in PVP yet. I tried fixed first, but it was too hard to land shots even in PVE, and after adding the medium cannon too it would've been even harder because the cannons have different projectile speeds. The high capacity mod for the multicannon could obviously be something else, but it's only a small MC so wouldn't do much for my DPS.

You probably facepalmed and moved on by now if you're a die hard PVP player always keeping up with the meta, so anyone still reading might be able to understand my intentions. I'm mainly farming massacre missions for the engineering materials and the 5B credits to buy a fleet carrier. But if I see a wanted or enemy player, I'm going to interdict them and see what happens. I've had a few interesting fights already with previous builds, losing doesn't matter as long as I can learn something from it. I really prefer experimenting by myself, it's harder to learn by just following recipes.

How would you improve this ship? Or how would you easily defeat it in PVP, even considering the potential changes I mentioned above to boost PVP capability? Any comments are welcome, except "Corvette is not meta, L2P" or the likes of that.

I should note that my main problem with the fixed cannons was the limited fire grouping system in this game. If I could have more than 2 fire buttons like in Mechwarrior games, I'd surely go with fixed. As it is in Elite, I can't opportunistically fire a weapon that would hit, without also firing others that will miss, or alternatively I'd have to flip fire groups which I just can't reliably do before the opportunity to hit is gone.

Last edited:
The Corvette is a ship capable of PvP, just not this corvette. The shields are too low, the hull is too weak. Combining guardian shield reinforcements with biweaves is a bad idea and the resistances are too high, this ship will die quickly when faced by a run of the mill Fer-de-Lance.

This is not pvp advice, but for pve if you change nothing else in your shields, do try modifying the setup to this instead: https://s.orbis.zone/7XWB You get almost 50% more absolute shields and increased effective shields in all categories while keeping the same biweave and utlity slot layout. To get even more shield strength, use that second C7 for the SCB also instead of the collector. move it to a smaller slot, sacrificing the C7 slot for it is not worth it as having that slot is huge for SCBs. A single SCB has total of 3,4 to 3,7k Mj charge in it.

In PvP, there is a lot of absolute damage being tossed your way. In PvE, high resistance is the way to go, but not PvP. The additional shield provided by the guardian stuff actually slows down shield regen. Your better off dropping those and going for Hull.

Something like this. I don't recommend the corvette though. Even though it is nearly as maneuverable as a medium ship, unless you have some help, a pilot can stick to you like glue and is in your 'blind' spot.

I played bait in open in my cutter, it really opened my eyes about the pros and cons and the differences between PvE and PvP.

Deleted member 38366

D
Things that catch my eye with the posted build :

• Class 7 Collector and Class 6 Cargo Rack : Extremely unusual and better reserved for a 2nd SCB or similar Combat Duty Equipment (for farming Mats, a temporary retrofit like that is okay - but shouldn't be part of the build under normal circumstances)
  • Class 4 Cannon : notorious for missing a Barn Door from 200m already due to Gimbal shake, High Yield (post-nerf) lost most of its Utility. Typically yields disappointing damage - IF it ever hits a target.
  • a single Longrange RailRun with Feedback Cascade is extremely helpful to inhibit SCB spam from any Opponent, be it PvP or some Wing Assassination Mission or a Conflict Zone (the Corvette has the agility to track even dynamic Targets to make it count, alternatively if a high-ranked NPC flies the Ship it can snipe an SLF out of the sky with the Railgun)
  • the whole build is 100% Shield-heavy and sacrifices all possible defenses for it (PD, ECM, Chaff), making it very vulnerable to Torpedoes
  • the absolute Shield strength is low, making the build very vulnerable against collisions (ramming) and Plasma Accelerator attacks
  • Module Protection is non-existent, making all SubSystems extremely vulnerable; the build won't allow alot of post-Shields Combat, if any
  • D-Grade Life Support can get tight and Synthesis isn't possible while under fire; I prefer A-Grade Life Support on all Combat builds, so a lost Canopy isn't a game-changer
  • the LongRange 8A Sensors add alot of weight (even for a mighty Corvette), LongRange 8D Sensors are much lighter but almost as good
  • an Overcharged G5 PowerPlant is a very vulnerable Achilles heel; G5 Armored IMHO is clearly a better choice (suggested changes to Utility below should easily make that possible)
  • firing off a Class 7 SCB easily overtaxes the Heat capability of this build by a factor of multiple, meaning a G3 Ammo Heat Sink is likely in order (Thermal Vent on C4 Beams are a limited Alternative, if short, mild overheating is acceptable)

Overall, I'd recommend making it a Hybrid build, so it holds plenty of HRPs, at least one or two MRPs and a few standard Defenses (ECM, Point Defense, Chaff).
The HRPs once Engineered will not only drastically improve Hull HP but also optimize Hull Resistances. This opens up post-Shields combat options.
That means the power-hungry Guardian Shield Boosters (a Corvette typically needs none of these) can go and a few of the 0A Shield Boosters as well - that makes room i.e. for a G5 Armored Power Plant).

Personally, I'm a big fan of Military Bulkheads for good protection across the board and wouldn't specialize on a specific Resistance (unless it's supposed to become a highly specialized build).

Last edited by a moderator:
The additional shield provided by the guardian stuff actually slows down shield regen.

I see this said frequently, and it's actually not true. Guardian Shield Boosters do not slow regen, it just takes longer because you're regenerating a higher number. The regen rate is not effected only the maximum capacity. It's like pouring water into a bucket one 12oz cup at a time. The Shield Boosters increase the capacity of the bucket, but the cup pouring in the water is still 12oz of capacity.

I see this said frequently, and it's actually not true. Guardian Shield Boosters do not slow regen, it just takes longer because you're regenerating a higher number. The regen rate is not effected only the maximum capacity. It's like pouring water into a bucket one 12oz cup at a time. The Shield Boosters increase the capacity of the bucket, but the cup pouring in the water is still 12oz of capacity.
But we must not forget that this is another bucket, because conventional shield amplifiers (to increase power) do not work on it.

Hitting four torpedoes will completely disable his shield.
This is totally true, I'm eagerly waiting to face the first opponent with this tactic and see how badly I'll fare :) But probably I should be able to escape, because they have wasted so many slots on torpedos?

The Corvette is a ship capable of PvP, just not this corvette. The shields are too low, the hull is too weak. Combining guardian shield reinforcements with biweaves is a bad idea and the resistances are too high, this ship will die quickly when faced by a run of the mill Fer-de-Lance.
In PvP, there is a lot of absolute damage being tossed your way.

My most interesting PVP fight actually was against an Elite Fer-de-Lance which had mostly plasma. I had a slightly different Corvette build then, got them down to 40% hull but then realized that I couldn't use my 2nd SCB because I had to power cycle them and there wasn't enough time. I sheepishly ran away because yes, the hull is quite weak by design. That was a good lesson! But I think my ship fared well there, against the build that should counter my resistance stacking. Weakest link was the pilot :D

Regarding the shield design of this ship, I just recently learned in my other thread that shield regen isn't the same when under fire. Even though these shields seem pretty good to me, depending on how the under fire mechanic actually works it could ruin my idea quite badly. I still don't see why I should've gone for anything but max resistances with this Bi-Weave + GSRP build if this hidden mechanic wouldn't exist at all. Heavy Dutys don't help GSRPs, but resistances do, they also make my SCBs and shield regen as effective as possible, that's why I ended up with this. I believed that it would trump Prismatics with active regen after a short enough time to make it viable. And I believe it still might, depending on the exact numbers of this mysterious under fire regen mechanic.

Last edited:
Something like this but i would replace the interdictor and the fsd booster with guardian shield boosters.

Still the shields, while ok for pve, are quite low in pvp. Your shields with thermal and double braced will take 5 torps to drop.
However, the hull and the armored/shielded fsd/pp plus 2 mrp will give you some resilience even without shields.

Chaining both SCB on a single heat sink is ok, but you need to bind both the scb and the heatsink. Fire heatsink and SCB, count to 4, fire second SCB.

For PvP ignore the combat rating. Elite combat usually either means long time player or grinder. Only the first can be dangerous in PvP, the second usually dies quickly.

I know, Corvette isn't meta and everyone should only try the proven methods, right? But where's the fun in that?..
..The collector limpets and cargo bay are a new addition, I just wanted to speed things up when farming pirates..

There is absolutely no shame in fitting collector limpets and cargo on the Federal Corvette.
I have them too on mine. Use what you like and are comfortable with.
Who cares what the "metas" think?
X.

Something like this. I don't recommend the corvette though. Even though it is nearly as maneuverable as a medium ship, unless you have some help, a pilot can stick to you like glue and is in your 'blind' spot.

The Corvette doesn't really have a 'blind spot'. It will have less time on target than more agile ships fighting it, but not so much more that it still won't have the advantage because of it's raw firepower and durability, at least in any 1v1 engagement.

Worst case scenario is using only fixed weapons vs. a good pilot in something like a Viper III:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM1e9MG8l5M

The Vulture and FDL also have significantly superior ToT, but if it's more or less alone, it simply doesn't have the firepower or the durability to go up against a corvette indefinitely, unless the pilot of the smaller ship has much greater skill:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpcr2JpJ0

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYq2gS06w84

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYTA9RKgSw

There is absolutely no shame in fitting collector limpets and cargo on the Federal Corvette.
I have them too on mine. Use what you like and are comfortable with.
Who cares what the "metas" think?
X.

If one intends to use a setup vs. other CMDRs, there are additional constraints on loadouts beyond what one likes and is comfortable with.

Some non-'meta' setups can work, but there are near universally applicable contraindications that have to be kept in mind, if one desires to be effective.

The Corvette doesn't really have a 'blind spot'. It will have less time on target than more agile ships fighting it, but not so much more that it still won't have the advantage because of it's raw firepower and durability, at least in any 1v1 engagement.

Worst case scenario is using only fixed weapons vs. a good pilot in something like a Viper III:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM1e9MG8l5M

The Vulture and FDL also have significantly superior ToT, but if it's more or less alone, it simply doesn't have the firepower or the durability to go up against a corvette indefinitely, unless the pilot of the smaller ship has much greater skill:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpcr2JpJ0

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYq2gS06w84

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYTA9RKgSw

If one intends to use a setup vs. other CMDRs, there are additional constraints on loadouts beyond what one likes and is comfortable with.

Some non-'meta' setups can work, but there are near universally applicable contraindications that have to be kept in mind, if one desires to be effective.
scratches head Every ship has a 'blind spot', an area where it's weapons, even turreted, can't cover or return\exchange fire. Darned if I remember his name, but he produced a series of essentially generic positioning videos for PvP.

If you don't use turrets, then that dead zone is even larger.

I absolutely love the maneuverability of the corvette. The video you posted was using FA Off...

When you talk about the skill of the attacker having to be very high - how many pilots can do what is posted on the video?

scratches head Every ship has a 'blind spot', an area where it's weapons, even turreted, can't cover or return\exchange fire.

I'm saying there is virtually no way to stay inside a corvette's for any length of time, if that corvette pilot is any good, no matter what ship you use. Only the most agile ships have a chance, and sooner or later a decent pilot will shake them and be able to return fire.

The video you posted was using FA Off...

I am overwhelmingly an FA On pilot, with maybe five percent of my typical engagement time spent in FA Off. Someone who is better at aiming fixed weapons with FA off, who still knows when to toggle FA On to leverage the increased negative acceleration, can mange to reduce that ToT differential even more.

When you talk about the skill of the attacker having to be very high - how many pilots can do what is posted on the video?

From which perspective? I tried to select videos where everyone involved knew what they were doing.

I'm saying there is virtually no way to stay inside a corvette's for any length of time, if that corvette pilot is any good, no matter what ship you use. Only the most agile ships have a chance, and sooner or later a decent pilot will shake them and be able to return fire.

I am overwhelmingly an FA On pilot, with maybe five percent of my typical engagement time spent in FA Off. Someone who is better at aiming fixed weapons with FA off, who still knows when to toggle FA On to leverage the increased negative acceleration, can mange to reduce that ToT differential even more.

From which perspective? I tried to select videos where everyone involved knew what they were doing.
I'm not going to get into an argument, but even if only 5% of your time is in FA Off...

See what I'm saying here?

Fighters do next to no damage, but if you don't kill it, it will take down your shields all by itself.

So will a vulture or a chieftain, both of which have the ability to stay where it needs to, unless the corvette pilot has greater skill... like 5% of the time going FA Off.

So will a vulture or a chieftain, both of which have the ability to stay where it needs to, unless the corvette pilot has greater skill... like 5% of the time going FA Off.

Out of the total of six CMDRs facing my vette in those videos, I only estimate two of them to have been appreciably less skilled than myself at the time, and every single one of them was using a lot more FA Off.

A well configured corvette (even a hybrid setup that gets most of it's damage from fixed hitscan weapons) is a monster and is mega easy mode in a 1v1 against essentially anything other than another one of the big three.

Out of the total of six CMDRs facing my vette in those videos, I only estimate two of them to have been appreciably less skilled than myself at the time, and every single one of them was using a lot more FA Off.

A well configured corvette (even a hybrid setup that gets most of it's damage from fixed hitscan weapons) is a monster and is mega easy mode in a 1v1 against essentially anything other than another one of the big three.
LOL!

For someone of your skill level boss. That was some fancy, darn effective flying.

I'm complimenting you.

I know, Corvette isn't meta and everyone should only try the proven methods, right? But where's the fun in that? I want to give the Corvette a chance, maybe it becomes apparent some day that I should use a more agile ship for PVP and just go with the meta, but until that time I'm just flying in my corvette. Here's the current build:
The collector limpets and cargo bay are a new addition, I just wanted to speed things up when farming pirates. They are obviously the first to be replaced if this ship proves inadequate in too many PVP fights. Next up would be the FSD interdictor and finally even the supercruise assist. I'm not sure if my idea of going all-in with shields is going to work, but right now it feels like I shouldn't be using hull/module reinforcement modules, and instead should just run before the shields are going to finally drop. I'd probably just replace the convenience modules with more SCBs, and perhaps even replace some Guardian Shield Reinforcements with SCBs, too. Of course when going all-in with shields, having other than light alloys seems to go against the idea, but it's only 60 tons and hardly affects ship agility. It has already saved me when I get overwhelmed too quickly, or face phasing weapons.

The idea for the current build is to have decent long range damage with the huge & small beams, but also good DPE when close up with the rest of the guns. The high yield cannons seem pretty good in PVE, haven't tested them in PVP yet. I tried fixed first, but it was too hard to land shots even in PVE, and after adding the medium cannon too it would've been even harder because the cannons have different projectile speeds. The high capacity mod for the multicannon could obviously be something else, but it's only a small MC so wouldn't do much for my DPS.

You probably facepalmed and moved on by now if you're a die hard PVP player always keeping up with the meta, so anyone still reading might be able to understand my intentions. I'm mainly farming massacre missions for the engineering materials and the 5B credits to buy a fleet carrier. But if I see a wanted or enemy player, I'm going to interdict them and see what happens. I've had a few interesting fights already with previous builds, losing doesn't matter as long as I can learn something from it. I really prefer experimenting by myself, it's harder to learn by just following recipes.

How would you improve this ship? Or how would you easily defeat it in PVP, even considering the potential changes I mentioned above to boost PVP capability? Any comments are welcome, except "Corvette is not meta, L2P" or the likes of that.

I should note that my main problem with the fixed cannons was the limited fire grouping system in this game. If I could have more than 2 fire buttons like in Mechwarrior games, I'd surely go with fixed. As it is in Elite, I can't opportunistically fire a weapon that would hit, without also firing others that will miss, or alternatively I'd have to flip fire groups which I just can't reliably do before the opportunity to hit is gone.
You're gonna get wrecked if you try to use biweaves and gimbals for PvP.
Corvettes are awesome for PvP. Most pvpers use medium ships but there's still quite a few that use Vettes.
This is a pretty solid meta for PvP.

How you use this is once you've double banked all your 7A's, you turn them off and turn on the 6A's and then single bank them.

Top Bottom