Discussion Commanders log manual and data sample

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

As you may have heard in the 3rd party developers discord or at Lavecon we have a new journal feed being added into game for 2.2 which developers can use to create a player Journal or “Commanders log”. What we would like is to give you information and support ahead of time to ensure that you are able to understand and utilise the functionality from day 1 of release.

To do this we have two downloadable links. One has a manual, explaining how the journal works. The other is a small set of data to get you started.

More data can be compiled later but we felt it was best to get the first set of info out so people can begin understanding the functionality of the Commanders Log.

What’s more, the very amazing Howard Chalkley (who is far more intelligent than I) will be on hand in this thread to answer any questions that you have regarding the journal.

As always, post on this thread and feel free to get in touch directly with any questions, concerns or recommendations.

Thanks again!

===

Manual as of October 2016: View attachment Journal_Manual.doc

Click the spoiler button to view older updates:

Looks very promising.

One tiny suggestion - the third party code such as EDDiscovery would love to know if the user has opened the galaxy map, planet map, or in normal view, etc.. Just a "Event" "View" "Type" entry... then we could tailor overlays to the current user view mode..

Thanks for this!

Rob

From the log sample:

,"09:28:21": { "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Cerno", "StarPos":[30.063,26.875,-82.938], "JumpDist":20.012, "Faction":"Cerno Transport Interstellar" }

Could that be expanded ever so slightly to this?

,"09:28:21": { "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Cerno", "StarPos":[30.063,26.875,-82.938], "JumpDist":20.012, "Faction":"Cerno Transport Interstellar", "Allegiance":"Federation", "Government":"Corporate" }

This would allow semi-automatic mapping of the distribution of super powers and government types in terms of factions that are in control.

Aiding the BGS a little bit could also be helpful:

,"09:28:21": { "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Cerno", "StarPos":[30.063,26.875,-82.938], "JumpDist":20.012, "Faction":"Cerno Transport Interstellar", "Allegiance":"Federation", "Government":"Corporate", "Influence":"25.3", "State":"Civil War" }

From the manual:

9.3 PowerplayDeliver
When written: when delivering powerplay commodities
Parameters:
Power
Type
Count

Example:
"09:17:37": { "event":"PowerplayDeliver", "Power":"Li Yong-Rui", "Type":"siriusfranchisepackage", "Count":10 }

Could we add two extra parameter to it?

"09:17:37": { "event":"PowerplayDeliver", "Power":"Li Yong-Rui", "Type":"siriusfranchisepackage", "Count":10, "System":"Mundigal", "SystemTotal":2195 }

Having the system total would make it far more useful, as this allows us to collect the result directly.

Similarly

9.10 PowerplayVoucher
When written: when receiving payment for powerplay combat
Parameters:
Power
Systems:[name,name]
This should also have a count and a systemtotal in it, and instead of stacking name, name, fire a PowerplayVoucher event for each system.

"09:17:37": { "event":"PowerplayVoucher", "Power":"Edmund Mahon", "Count":30, "System":"Mundigal", "SystemTotal":7350 }

9.7 and 9.9 are identical:

9.7 PowerplayNominate
When written: when nominating a system for expansion
Parameters:
Power
System
Votes

9.9 PowerplayVote
When written: when voting for a system expansion
Parameters:
Power
Votes
System

Unless there's a major change to the expansion mechanics in 2.2, there is no way to vote for a PowerPlay expansion, making one of these redundant.

That being said, just like the previous examples, this one would also benefit quite a lot from having a systemtotal.

And in fairness, all the PowerPlay transactions would be helped by having the player's merit count as well.

EDit: saw in dockument that the one o wanted already existed :)

Thans for the hournal it will be very fun to have and to add support for in EDDiscovery

Last edited:
I may have missed it, but I don't think I saw anything to record Prospector Limpets results, which would be extremely useful for the dedicated miners out there. Also I see there isn't any mention of ship scans like normal ship scan, Kill Warrant scan, Cargo scan etc. It may be a hell of a lot of data, but it should be an option. Being able to figure out the best type of NPC to attack etc Learning more about trade routes and cargo and the pirates that plague them, for example.

Unless there's a major change to the expansion mechanics in 2.2, there is no way to vote for a PowerPlay expansion, making one of these redundant.

That being said, just like the previous examples, this one would also benefit quite a lot from having a systemtotal.

And in fairness, all the PowerPlay transactions would be helped by having the player's merit count as well.

Guess what - there's PP update planned this season. So this means voting for expansion is incoming for powers. AWESOME! :D

Last edited:
Oh my!

I've been talking on IRC about having scan data in the netlog file for a looooong time - did someone let you guys know? :p

Anyway - THIS IS AWESOME on so many levels - thank you. I will have further comments Soon™ :D

Oh my, are we seeing the start of an actual client-driven API?

My suggestions:

1) Whatever the mobile API currently provides as info should actually be dumped to file like this, for two very good reasons:
a) the players use their FD store credentials to access the mobile API, which is a security issue with third-party tools as the name and password need to be provided
b) people are querying your servers while the info is already in the client. It would be much more efficient to have the client save the information locally. Players will post to EDDN regardless.

2) Please add more system and station information type: economy, government, factions, black market, rares, population

3) Some people would like a low-latency interface to the client for ship telemetry. I don't know if using a file would be the right approach, but maybe some sort of UDP port served by the client with current telemetry e.g. throttle position, speed, vector, landing gear status, etc.?

Last edited:
Forgot to add, please dump the currently planned route when it is changed. This way we could have on a second screen showing a map of our route with extra information (such as other player journal information) and without having to go to the galaxy map all the time.

I'm saddened to say but i'm not as brainy as you guys are with this journal. I imagined it would have been like for example "Commanders Log - Date&Time bla bla. I was at an ice body collecting materials, not much luck out here today. Maybe its just the weather." That sorta thing. I suppose this is for high level tier people that are just interested in the coding aspect as such?

Continuing to spam as I see stuff sorry :)

Please use international format for datetime stamps (ISO 8601) and they should be saved in UTC or game time. The tool/interface using it should be responsible for converting to local time.

E.g. 2012-04-23T18:25:43.511Z

Last edited:
Typo..

2.3 Event Records
Each event record has the timestamp as as Json key, and a json object as the value

Can we get a dump of materials and ship/srv inventory "at startup"
Also current missions and their states "at startup"
Also current bounties/bonds/fines/etc "at startup"

Can we get the engineer blueprint "on pin"

Last edited:
Thanks for this.

Would it be possible to include the mode of the game started in, i.e. Open, Solo, Private Group (including name)?

:)

Top Bottom