Guide / Tutorial Complete list of all third party tools, spreadsheets, manuals and other data sources

First thanks to all contributors to EDCodex:
the database is growing/updated almost every day.

Now for the next, Wolverine & myself already got some plan (work in progress) but any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Celebration time - EDCodex has been out for 1 month.

Exactly one month ago EDCodex has been publicly released. We started with approx 162 entries, NOW we have exactly 215 entries. 53 NEW entries in one month, brilliant. I want to thank each and every commander who has taken the time to either create a new entry or who have claimed their entry and edited/updated it. There is still a LOT of new functionality to come.

Since release some new functionality was introduced. We have also introduced two new categories: audio and live-streaming. The entries have NOT been updated yet. Yesterday the stats page has been enhanced by biobob with "Daily Registrations". We had approx 15 registered when we released EDCodex. Now we have 165. The number of users visiting EDCodex is more or less constant. Approx 300 users a day and approx 1800-2400 page views. The website has been stable as a rock. Not a single issue reported.

One last comment. Commanders do visit EDCodex on a regular base (lots of a new users as well) BUT they only in rare cases post in the new and official EDCodex thread with feedback. As that one is NOT a sticky it tends to get snowed under by the forums - something we were hoping to prevent for the entries inside EDCodex. Hence not that much commanders are seeing that thread and discover EDCodex. Only way to remedy that is commanders post more there. Just my 2 euro cent.

Note: I still have a backlog of more then 15+ entries for EDCodex.

Biobob
Wolverine2710

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
EDCodex has been added to the fan site section of the Official ED Community website!!!!

Biobob and mysyself are VERY EXCITED now that EDCodex is on the fan site section of the official ED Community website.

Almost immediately after EDCodex was publicly released on the 17th of August 2015 we asked FD using the proper channels if EDCodex could be added to the ED Community website. The end result is here today. Champagne!!

We both want to thank (in alphabetical order) the Community managers Zac Antonaci, Brett C. and Edward Lewis who made this possible. It took a bit longer then we hoped but they have to be careful that what is added to the ED Community Website is SAS compliant - Safe And Suitable. After all EDCodex is community driven and every one can and is encouraged to add entries there so they had to potentially check around 215 entries ;-)

Fun fact (or not): Biobob and myself after we have been contacted by Brett C. this week (for a suitable image for the fan site) have been watching the fansite RSS feed like a hawk to see when it would be added. I was typing a CONGRATZ message to biobob and literally 3 seconds before I could hit the SEND button I received an CONGRATZ email from him!!!

Very curious what it will mean with regard to users and pageviews for the EDcodex.info website now that we are on the fan site of the Official ED Community website. Visit us today and create a MAJOR peak!!!

Note: RSS Feed for the fan site section. You need to have a RSS reader installed in your browser otherwise you will only see a website page with XML in it.

Cmdr Biobob
Cmdr Wolverine

Last edited:
EDCodex was on the last Comm Chatters, Thx FD!
Small reminder: for new tools submissions please use edcodex.info: the website version of this thread,
the database still growing thanks to user contributions!

Cmdr Biobob
Cmdr Wolverine

+1 tool - https://github.com/jarig/elite-reporter

Mission reporting tool, uses mobile API with OCR to get information about mission name and start/end locations.
Data can be exported anyhwere you like, for example to http://en.ed-board.net/

Currently gets only mission name, system/station taken/finished + timestamps.
In Todo list:
1. Mission type
2. Reward received

Would be cool if ed-board would support special kind of logging for missions, so that EReporter could export missions to it.

Mission reporting tool, uses mobile API with OCR to get information about mission name and start/end locations.

In Todo list:
1. Mission type
2. Reward received

Would be cool if ed-board would support special kind of logging for missions, so that EReporter could export missions to it.

Seems to be great :)
I will try that asap, very curious to see that :)

I've check your script for EDBoard, I can add a specific place for missions ;)
and to simplify process to import data I could add an API for external tools

(NB: plz add your tool to EDCodex)

I've check your script for EDBoard, I can add a specific place for missions ;)
and to simplify process to import data I could add an API for external tools

That would be awesome! :)
Especially if this information can be gathered/aggregated for minor factions, so it would be possible to see total amount of missions finished in a given time in a different systems by faction members(maybe even on 3D map ?:) ).
Faction "teams" gather this info to get better understanding of what's happening and for controlling own strategy.
I've added reward amount gathering in the latest release, will think of how to get mission types in the most robust way, then it will be quite complete mission history and factions can analyze what mission types lead to what states and in which direction their members leading a faction at a moment.

(NB: plz add your tool to EDCodex)

Done: http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=333

No time yet to see that, I was focused on improve the 3D map today ;)
it will be probably for next week (I will send you a PM).

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer

In Todo list:
1. Mission type
2. Reward received

Thanks a lot that you have added your tools to EDCodex. Very much appreciated.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I've updated the OP. Well at least I'm trying but it appears it has become so big that updating often fails. Looks as if I've to try it again at work - much more bandwidth upstream....

Annoucement: Saturday the 23th of January 2016.
Brilliant news: On the 5th of January 2016, Zac Antonaci -Head of Community Management of FD- wrote in the "Open Letter to Frontier Developments" thread that usage of the iPhone companion app api is LEGAL. Source. Which makes the usage of tools which use this api like EDMC, EDAPI and EDCE LEGAL. Other great news: On the 18th of January 2016, Brett C. -Community Assistant/Manager of FD- created the "Elite Dangerous->Gameplay and Features->Player Tools & API Development" subforum. Its an excellent place for checking out new and existing tools. The EDCodex thread is also there, the place to be as its the successor of this thread.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Took a stroll down memory lane wrt EDCodex and came up with the following timeline wrt created threads by the EDCodex authors.

20141028: Complete list of all third party tools, spreadsheets, manuals and other data sources
20150218: Third party tools thead -- Needing a database driven website to being able to grow any further
20150328: OT: Looking for a collaboration/cooperation tool for an multi person ED project
20150425: (WIP) Tool codenamed ED3PTT is looking for a better name. Any Suggestions?
20150708: POLL. Third party tools thread - upcoming website version - looking for a good name
20151001: EDCodex: "A fansite full of community resources!". VOLUNTEERS really appreciated"
20150817: EDCodex. The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous - Community driven website

On the 11th of March I was contacted by biobob with the question if he could perhaps help me out. I did ask for help before in the threads above without results so I was really surprised and very exited. Hence the work started and on the 18th of August EDCodex was publicly released. To be crystal clear, I didn't code a line. Biobob is the wizzard who brough you the EDCodex website.

One or two weeks before the public release all tool authors in EDCodex received a PM from us with with the request if they wanted to become owner of their entry. After the release a lot of time was spend adding new entries. Also new sections like the "Live streamings" were added. On the 2nd of October the EDCodex thread got STICKY status in the "Elite Dangerous->Gameplay and Features->Guides and Tutorials" subforum. Around that time the EDCodex was added to fansites section of the official ED community website. We were mentioned in the comms chatter early October on the Elite Dangerous website and in newsletter #94 on the 9th of October.

Personal note: Went on a holiday for a few weeks in October, got a new job starting the 1st of November - Java programmer. Got a heavy case of Fallout4 addiction when it was released around the 16th Of November. Also was quite burned out wrt EDCodex. Around the new year started with EDCodex again. Biobob in the mean while introduced quite a few nice additions to EDCodex. See the announcements section of EDCodex.

Now that I've made this post it really scares me how much time has been put into EDCodex so far. So far we have exchanged approx 1550-1600 emails. I guestimate that Biobob and myself easily put 400-500 hours each in this project.

Biobob and myself have quite a few features in store for EDCodex for 2016. If you have any suggestions please use this thread, even better the EDCodex thread or best use the "Ask a Question" website created for EDCodex. Trust us, we are VERY open for new ideas.

When EDCodex went public we had 165 entries. Now we have approx 250 entries - 123 of them all tools. That is indeed a nice growth. Its good to see that commanders have started to add entries to EDCodex and or took ownership of them. but the truth is that most entries were/are from Biobob and myself. Its IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with the forums, adding entries. We definitely need your help. See the "VOLUNTEERS" thread for details. It would allows us to concentrate on EDCodex and new features!!

Last edited:
EDclock v0.2.4

Hey! I'm working on a project called EDclock at the moment and its getting somewhere.
check it out! : www.hotdoy.ca/edclock

Its meant as a launchpad for other tools and basic info on current Elite universe.
youll find ...
-galnet rss updated on page load (will be dynamic in the near future)
-radio sidewinder (custom player with great mobile support to listen on the go)
-PP cycle countdown
-local and in-game time
-live update on PP ranking with a notification system so if the PP rank are not up to date, you will be alerted.
-color changing hud for better immersion with cookies. so it retain last used colors each visits.

12421811_10156518044740705_2110122048_n.jpgCapture.JPG

I just updated to v0.2.5
added a tutorial some users asked
and a lot if little things.
click on version number, then on HOTDOY logo to see the gitHub and go read the readme.

Hi.

If possible, would you add Game Music Packs to your list?

I have been a user of Game Music Packs for some months now. I feel these guys could really do with some extra support, and having it added to your list would definatly be a plus.

They make music for Elite: Dangerous in the form of a pack for Voice Attack which lets you add, remove, or replace instruments mid-song if you wish, all voiced by Obsidian Ant. The pack supports internet radio, and several Elite-Dangerous radio Stations are included. The pack also supports use of you own music of course, and (with a little setup) can store up to 25 playlists on the ready. During game play, vocal commands can be used to change everything from volume, to the song, to taking a "peek" at a different playlist. This team has put a lot of hard work into this and I feel it deserves the attention of the wider community. Having it added to your list may be a huge help.

Thanks!
Commander Lensman.
https://gamemusicpacks.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom