Completely by accident, Distant Worlds 2 has made the bubble a nicer place!

Deleted member 115407

D
I dunno about promoting them, but i do think its nice that we have them there prowling the open waves like wolves waiting to pounce. it give a sense of danger just outside the reach of us PGers

Rep.

On a side note, I appreciate the DW2 organizers leading me to some very interesting locations in the galaxy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the OP hasn't considered that almost all self respecting PvPers have at least one alt account for just such occasions as this:)

I have considered it. I have an alt back in the bubble as well. But consider this: Whatever time they spend chasing DW2 is that much less spent on an alt back in the bubble.

So it's really just down the factor of time and how much of it the SDC and other like-minded pilots want to commit on the DGE vs DW2. That will be the most telling factor I think.

In fact I think there will be some significant attrition due to apathy along the way not just of Distant Worlds, but of our shadow counterpart as well. Many will decide to turn for home or Colonia before committing to Beagle Point.

I wonder who has the greater commitment? DW2 or DGE? It will be interesting to see. But I don't expect to see significant numbers turning back until we get to Waypoint 7. After that - we'll see.

I dunno about promoting them, but i do think its nice that we have them there prowling the open waves like wolves waiting to pounce. it give a sense of danger just outside the reach of us PGers

That's an interesting point. Absent hostile aliens, a force shadowing the expedition adds something. Almost like the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica (either version).

Also one future side effect will be that the commander names of these individuals will become well known. (not just the infamous mr potter.)
Allowing choices by other commanders to be made about the status of these individuals in their block lists.
Which means for a time these individuals will have a much smaller target pool to play with after this expedition returns to the bubble.

JMHO

Last edited:
On the next Community Goal, if the next one is back in the bubble, it will take them a [/I]LONG time to get back!

If I understood things correctly, not that long. Exactly as long as self destruction lasts. Re-buy screen, rebuy default ship in default port, I'm back in the bubble.

Last edited:
If I understood things correctly, not that long. Exactly as long as self destruction lasts. Re-buy screen, rebuy default ship in default port, I'm back in the bubble.

I suppose that depends on whether they dock out at Omega or not.

I think the point I made later about the investment of time overall still stands. I'd bet real money that Distant Worlds overall will show more in the way of time commitment than Distant Ganks. I imagine there will be a handful of exceptions of course. But they'll be the "exception that proves the rule".

I don't think that's right. Now the C&P rules have been tweaked a few times, and I can't find a source that succinctly describes how things work as of now, so I could be wrong. But if you blow up, the two options you are presented with are A) rebuy your current ship at some location, or B) lose that ship and spawn with a Sidey at a starter system. If you're in anything you've invested credits or engineering into, no way to take option B. For option A, my understanding is that if you exploded in an unpopulated system, you respawn at the last place you docked. Or if you are wanted there, you are shunted to the nearest detention ship.

So for the majority of gankers out at WP3 or WP4, self-destructing only gets them back to Omega or Rohini or somewhere similar. Heck, if they both docked and did crimes at Sacagawea, self-destructing would actually land them *farther* from the Bubble, since the nearest detention center would be further down the Colonia highway.

For what it's worth, if you really wanted to preserve the ability to warp back to the bubble, I think you would do the following: A) make sure you last docked at a base with a shipyard (so Omega or Rohini so far), B) self-destruct and take the rebuy to that base, and then C) suicidewinder (i.e. buy a Sidey, explode, and don't rebuy). Note that this leaves their gankship stuck at the remote shipyard, but the people in question are mostly billionaires so transferring the ship back or leaving it there for later probably isn't a hardship.

Interesting update. Apparently Harry Potter and many of his friends couldn't go the distance. The following was on today's update:

kNErPA1.png

They did indeed get bored and either turned back for the bubble or self-destructed for the quick trip back. Harry's back to his old "Seal Clubbing" stomping grounds. I'm sure the gankers aren't completely gone from harassing the expedition. But apparently we've buttoned up so tightly in the Private Groups that its almost impossible to find any pickings.

So - apologies to the bubble! We couldn't keep them away longer! :D

Now that noobies are in protected systems, those gankers can't do much on players without experience and teeth to fight back. Good for them.

Top Bottom