Console/PC Cross-save

I get that cross platform play will probably never happen, but what about cross-save? I put thousands of hours into the xbox version, and would love to play on PC but I would never consider starting from scratch.

Destiny 2 pulled off cross-save long after launch, and it works great.

Would I have to purchase a new copy of ED on PC for every CMDR I have on PS4? I don't think I'd like that.
If you want to play on another platform, you have to buy the game, yes. but that has nothing to do with ability to cross-save.

Cross platform is more likely - at least they're considering that.
I thought cross platform is a non-starter with FDEV? Obviously cross platform would be better, but I've heard a significant amount of negative comments from PC players who don't want to interact with console players.

And vice versa. Mainly about PC players having an advantage with control methods and such.

I think it would be good for the game overall.

I'd like cross save, doubt it will happen.

That issue already exists at least on Xbox, you can get someone playing on a Xbox One X hitting 60 FPS running on 1080p performance mode using a Hotas.

I would be happy however with cross save kind of like how Destiny did it that would be a nice start not mention if they went the cross save route I don't think the platforms they are on would mind since you would still need to use said other platforms to play with your friends hence Microsoft or Sony getting a cut and hopefully licensing issues averted.

There was also that bug around 6 months ago that let some Xbox Commanders totally use their accounts on PC, check that out here

Cross-save?
nope.
Mixing ms store and sony store? no way they will let that happen.

cross play? where xb cmdrs might meet ps cmdrs? hell yea - hopefully it will happen sooner than later.

meeting pc cmdrs as a console player? not so keen - all the macros and voice attack and the rest of the gadgets... no ty

I'd be fine with both, and it might get me to get the game on another platform other than PC, if I had one. Who knows, maybe we'll see a Switch version sometime... ;)

I use a PC and just play the base game without the extras, using a controller primarily, currently a Logitech F710, but looking at moving that over to an 8BitDo SN30 pro+ sometime.

Of course the likelihood of having these things implemented is rather low for a number or reason. Just saying that I'd be fine with it in the off chance that they are.

Unless the situation has changed, then given that those who transfer long-standing XB accounts over to PC accounts lose access to their Cobra Mk IV's, there are more back-office technical issues to be dealt with than might be imagined. I am not saying it isn't doable, just that it is less likely than we might hope and that if it were done then we can expect formerly-XB players from wayback chiming in with a "hey hang on!".

For myself, I have no problem whaterver with cross-save, so long as the C4 issue is properly resoved I guess. And as I've noted before, as an XB player I'm one of those who wants with cross-play with PS players ASAP, but not with PC players until both us consoleers' control options substantially improve.

Cross-save?
nope.
Mixing ms store and sony store? no way they will let that happen.
Not sure what you mean, cross save doesn't have anything to do with purchases. For example in Destiny 2, which has PS, Xbox, and PC cross save - Any paid content needs to be purchased on the system you want to play. but if you buy the content for any/all systems, you can access your character progress on each of those systems. There's no mixing of the stores.

Yea, but in ED the store purchases are tied to the account aka the save.
So all the cosmetics you buy from XB store would be available on PS - so basically you would use on PS stuff that was not purchased from Sony.

So all the cosmetics you buy from XB store would be available on PS - so basically you would use on PS stuff that was not purchased from Sony.
It's just like all other games with a paid currency in that regard. ESO Crowns, Destiny Silver, etc.
You buy cosmetics from Frontier, not from Sony or Microsoft.
You buy Frontier's currency, Arx, from the individual consoles' stores, but then spend it in Frontier's store.

But yeah, cross-save at some point in the next year is incredibly likely. Adding this ability during a console generation launch is basically "Money Printer Go BRRRRRR" for games like this. Plenty people will be choosing to switch platform during the period, meaning they'll be buying a new copy of the game for their new system if they know their progress will be retained between the systems.

Would I have to purchase a new copy of ED on PC for every CMDR I have on PS4? I don't think I'd like that.
The general reason these systems are in place is because it's standard practice on console to allow games you own to be played by everyone in your household, whereas PC developers have been tightening the screws on that with the shift to tighter DRM and storefronts like Steam. So yeah, the idea would be that each person playing on your console copy would individually merge their console profile with their personal PC profile. Which absolutely sucks, but it's one of those things that greed in the PC market has resulted in since the end of the 90s. Damn, I miss the days when you didn't need a crack to install multiple copies of an RTS you bought on all the systems in your house for LAN parties.

I think it's possibly a small part of what's pushed the popularity of boardgames in the last decade, since only one player needs to own the box, and everyone can play with their copy.

But yeah, cross-save at some point in the next year is incredibly likely. Adding this ability during a console generation launch is basically "Money Printer Go BRRRRRR" for games like this. Plenty people will be choosing to switch platform during the period, meaning they'll be buying a new copy of the game for their new system if they know their progress will be retained between the systems.
I really hope you're right. I switch from Xbox to a gaming PC this year, I've been wanting to dip my toe back into ED and would buy it in a heartbeat, but only if I can load Xbox save.

I 100% agree. I have too many hours invested into my xbox save, and I'm not willing to grind it all over again when FDev inevitably announce that some future expansion or feature is coming to "next-gen" or pc only, and they don't have a reasonable way to transfer all your ranks, credits, and arx purchases from consoles to pc.

I don't even care for a cross-save mechanic anymore. Just a one-time transfer of all save data would do it for me.

Both cross-play and cross-save are trivial from technical point of view, and both must be implemented for ANY multiplayer game.
The only question is if FDevs wants this or not.

I get that cross platform play will probably never happen, but what about cross-save? I put thousands of hours into the xbox version, and would love to play on PC but I would never consider starting from scratch.
Maybe if you contact Frontier Support they can do it for you. You will have to purchase a license for the PC and maybe they can move or copy your commander's account and wipe or restart your old commander.

Maybe if you contact Frontier Support they can do it for you. You will have to purchase a license for the PC and maybe they can move or copy your commander's account and wipe or restart your old commander.
Right now, any transfer has to be manually done by Frontier and results in a full reset of all progression outside of credits. Presumably due to them not having developed a system for copying the rest of the data.

As it becomes the norm rapidly for most games that are not first-party (and even as we've seen in Microsoft's case many that are, given their investment in the PC space - and damn is it useful being able to share your cloud save between PC and XBox), I can't see Frontier not jumping on that bandwagon of cross-save, but my expectation is we won't see it implemented until there's a refresh of the console clients for the new generation of systems, making full use of the new hardware rather than running in their respective systems' emulation modes for the previous generation of hardware. At that point they can design it from the ground up with an overhaul of the backend for the account servers in mind from the outset, allowing players who purchased the game on multiple platforms to choose to either link their existing accounts, allowing them to share a character across platforms, or keep them separate with independent logins and characters, as those who purchased multiple copies of the game for that purpose might prefer.

Top Bottom