News Content Recap: Beyond - Chapter Four Livestream - Background Simulation and Scenarios

But the Megaship scenario is only a small part of the machinations called BGS, even if limited as you suggested the 'defending' faction would still need to pour their resources into the scenario or have thier influence reduced by those who are playing the scenario from opposing factions.

Just in case it is coming next, no - open only wouldn't be the answer either, not unless ED became a pay-to-play game with dedicated servers accomodating the entire playerbase, even then I'm not sure that console players would be able to play inclusively with all platforms.

As it stands it will present a challenge to PMF's in pretty much the way it always had, just giving you new scenarios to play rather than only manipulation of the BGS through missions/CZ's etc.

Last edited:
Great updates, really looking forward to these.
"Part of this feedback includes how Local News works. We've expanded the faction summary news article, so that each faction has their own individual article which informs players of the states currently active in that system."

Yay, some love for the News feeds. Inching toward DDF goals.

It would be great if the Text to Speech synth could be set to read system news as well as Galnet! Let's get the news of the system we are in via audio.

"State Categories: We've broken a number of faction states into the following categories:<snip> Other - Anything not included in the above, and reserved for future states that we are not ready to talk about!"

Interesting, sounds like other states are on the roadmap . . . more to come? Or just placeholder hype for 4 years down the line, "maybe".

4. same SCENARIO system like 3. would bring live in SUPER CRUISE with trader or passenger ships.... A trader/tourist ship is attacked by pirates in a SUPER CRUISE, he calls for help - I can choose to intervene by jumping in that SYSTEM SOURCE or not. If I respond and save him he should also say thanks and offer some a reward (f.e credits or materials) and give me some reputation for his faction! I would be nice to get recognized and hailed in a specific manner by ships and stations of this faction if your reputation is getting high by saving their miner/trader/tourist fleet!

5. other possible scenarios:
defend a station,
defend a ground base,
defend a planet outposts
4 - or help the pirates and gain access to a station where you could buy all the outlawed stuff like narcotics, etc. This would cost you local rep, but you could ACTUALLY a pirate! And a smuggler.

5 - defend a station: Nope, you get fined for firing in the no fire zone. Let the pirates have a go at it, they will rack up so much fines, when they are sent back to the rebuy screen, they will fly a sidewinder in no time :D

Yet here you are, complaining about it, as usual.

after a lengthy break, it is great to see some things never change.. NielF is still here, proving that Elite truely represents great value for money, with it's many modes of interaction, for endless hours of play. used to really love pen and paper rpg's too.. what dice are you using NielF?

after a lengthy break, it is great to see some things never change.. NielF is still here, proving that Elite truely represents great value for money, with it's many modes of interaction, for endless hours of play. used to really love pen and paper rpg's too.. what dice are you using NielF?
Was your lengthy break for some sort of spelling course? ;)

ps: I'm not really actively playing anymore. Haven't in over a year TBH. However, there is no doubt the game is (has been) value for money, at least for me... I'm hoping the current change of design/development ethos follows through to some solid improvements now next year (eg: atmospheric landings).

Last edited:
Was your lengthy break for some sort of spelling course? ;)

ps: I'm not really actively playing anymore. Haven't in over a year TBH. However, there is no doubt the game is (has been) value for money, at least for me... I'm hoping the current change of design/development ethos follows through to some solid improvements now next year (eg: atmospheric landings).

hehe, great response! there really is little better than coming back after a break and seeing familiar faces. genuinely not found anywhere else that can beat the Elite forums for banter.

aye, probably been about a year for me too, on pc, I have played a wee bit on the ps4 though, so will be interesting to see the changes on the 11th, and I may even power up the puter and see how it looks over there.

take it easy Commander o7

hehe, great response! there really is little better than coming back after a break and seeing familiar faces. genuinely not found anywhere else that can beat the Elite forums for banter.

aye, probably been about a year for me too, on pc, I have played a wee bit on the ps4 though, so will be interesting to see the changes on the 11th, and I may even power up the puter and see how it looks over there.

take it easy Commander o7

For me, the changes about to come out are the fist significant ones in two+ years. I do hope it's a sign of them finally raising the bar with what they're adding... I doubt 3.3 isn't enough to being me back. I'm hoping what's coming next year will be!

Guess and hope I'm not the only one...

I play most days, pretty well as much as I have for years. I tend to play one game at a time & bought this one expecting to get a lot out of it.

I don't think much new content is aimed at existing players, it's mostly aimed at attracting new ones & at best not turning existing players away.
But I don't think any change is going to be so drastic that it'll draw a bored player back into the game. If someone already enjoys playing then a change might make it a little better or worse, but if there's a demographic FDev could ignore it's probably the ones that don't play any more.

I play most days, pretty well as much as I have for years. I tend to play one game at a time & bought this one expecting to get a lot out of it.

I don't think much new content is aimed at existing players, it's mostly aimed at attracting new ones & at best not turning existing players away.
But I don't think any change is going to be so drastic that it'll draw a bored player back into the game. If someone already enjoys playing then a change might make it a little better or worse, but if there's a demographic FDev could ignore it's probably the ones that don't play any more.

That's my exact opinion as well. Attracting new players has to always be the biggest concern. Imo having a balance of keeping the existing players and trying to get new ones would be the best option.

Hi Guys
I was going to write a long spill about how the BGS is broken but I fear I might incur the wrath of those who think the Emperor's new invisible suit looks great!

Oh well, here I go with a mini gripe instead of a whopper.

Do NPCs fight in the Conflict Zones and if so to what degree?

I ask this as at present wherein Elite Dangerous does it tell us we are Pending War?

If we do not participate in the war will opposing NPCs win each daily battle?

If at the start of the war and on day one we have 65% and the faction in charge has just 1%, are we saying that if we do not fight this war, then the faction with just 1% will own the system?

Is this a silly, non-sensical example???

I guess most people would say 'Yup' but..... That is EXACTLY the position we are in. We have 65%, the faction that owns the system has just 1%

There are lots of flowery dressing being done but the BGS is being destroyed for smaller factions that own multiple systems. Some folks might say tough!!

Why, why is it 'Tough'? We have been playing this game since conception and are happy with how things go. Now overnight it has gone pear shaped.

Instead of making things look slighter better than they were, why not....

1. Make it possible for a ship's fighter to land at a station and hand in bounties, bonds etc plus perhaps select or hand in certain missions?

2. A Minor Faction that owns a system should get a percentage of system profits which can only be spent on improvements for stations, or Planetary stations etc?

Instead of putting more bells and whistles, extra ships etc, why not give this brilliant game a storyline where it allows us to develop our stations or systems.

This is just a quick example of some of my gripes but we now have TWO senseless wars pending which we happened to notice in INARA??

The update for our group is a complete and utter pain in the rectum:)

Last edited:
Kinda sad story that those who post the most are all too often those who don't play anymore. This goes even more for the negative posts that try to explain in all lengthiness why they don't play anymore. Anyway, as long as we can see all these posts the game is still very alive! :D You won't easily find another game where some if its old players are still playing enthusiastically after 5 years. Guess and hope I'm not the only one...

I'm confident you are not alone pi, I had to stop using my pc a while back.. seating position at my desk was causing problems with my ms.. so stopped playing Elite.

I'v been getting the hang of my ps4 controller over the last few months, probably not good enough for heavy combat, but the trade and exploration seems ok. I may hook up the pc to the big screen and try it out there, as my pc account has my Anaconda and python etc, the ps4 is still pretty fresh, just grabbed a defender last week, I can't use my hands like I used to, so rigging up my hotas to the recliner is out, just a case of which account to go with? may be cool just to stick with the ps4, and as I'll have my hands full trying to get to grips with the new content and systems, it may be smarter to go with the lesser account, to avoid costly incidents lol.

fly safe commander o7

Reference to GLOJO

Wow, that was a bit of a soft gripe mate !! You held back there !

Feedback from others as to how their factions are faring and experiences in all of this would be great
so we can all learn.

My gripes....
The Faction Status tab in Starport Services was changed, now only shows each faction in it's own tab and has influence and happiness.
Revert to old one that showed all the info for all the factions in that system, inf, happiness, pending, ongoing etc...
I know all this info is available in several other places in game, but it is very 'Klunky'

Question re Influence in war....
Both factions inf are frozen, war is won say 4 to 3 victories, how do we know how much influence changes hands and at what rate?
If you start on 40% each and win 4 victories it could be possible you end the war on 60 or 70% risking putting yourself in coup or expansion...
That's presuming there is an inf change, or do we end the war on 40% each ? etc... etc...
Is there a way to check these 'background hidden' influence changes ?

Here's hoping this all goes smoothly

Last edited:
Hi Guys
I was going to write a long spill about how the BGS is broken but I fear I might incur the wrath of those who think the Emperor's new invisible suit looks great!

Oh well, here I go with a mini gripe instead of a whopper.

Do NPCs fight in the Conflict Zones and if so to what degree?

I ask this as at present wherein Elite Dangerous does it tell us we are Pending War?

If we do not participate in the war will opposing NPCs win each daily battle?

If at the start of the war and on day one we have 65% and the faction in charge has just 1%, are we saying that if we do not fight this war, then the faction with just 1% will own the system?

Is this a silly, non-sensical example???

I guess most people would say 'Yup' but..... That is EXACTLY the position we are in. We have 65%, the faction that owns the system has just 1%

There are lots of flowery dressing being done but the BGS is being destroyed for smaller factions that own multiple systems. Some folks might say tough!!

Why, why is it 'Tough'? We have been playing this game since conception and are happy with how things go. Now overnight it has gone pear shaped.

Instead of making things look slighter better than they were, why not....

1. Make it possible for a ship's fighter to land at a station and hand in bounties, bonds etc plus perhaps select or hand in certain missions?

2. A Minor Faction that owns a system should get a percentage of system profits which can only be spent on improvements for stations, or Planetary stations etc?

Instead of putting more bells and whistles, extra ships etc, why not give this brilliant game a storyline where it allows us to develop our stations or systems.

This is just a quick example of some of my gripes but we now have TWO senseless wars pending which we happened to notice in INARA??

The update for our group is a complete and utter pain in the rectum:)

Feedback from others as to how their factions are faring and experiences in all of this would be great
so we can all learn.

My gripes....
The Faction Status tab in Starport Services was changed, now only shows each faction in it's own tab and has influence and happiness.
Revert to old one that showed all the info for all the factions in that system, inf, happiness, pending, ongoing etc...
I know all this info is available in several other places in game, but it is very 'Klunky'

Both factions inf are frozen, war is won say 4 to 3 victories, how do we know how much influence changes hands and at what rate?
If you start on 40% each and win 4 victories it could be possible you end the war on 60 or 70% risking putting yourself in coup or expansion...
That's presuming there is an inf change, or do we end the war on 40% each ? etc... etc...

so we can all learn.

My gripes....

Looks like there might be an echo somewhere :)

Being in a Conflict Zone the first thing we do is hopefully choose the side we want to fight on.

I chose my side, opted for a mission to defend the capital ship against five elite fur de pants. These dastardly ship appeared but instead of being the usual enemy that shows as 'red' coloured icons, all five were green. Green in colour but they were the opposition..

Engage the enemy and FIRE MAIN GUNS. I INSTANTLY got wanted!!! Yup wanted in a Conflict Zone where there are only two sides. Oh and our Capital Ship just stood there grinning at me .......

Me, whinge?? Nah

Have I mentioned how I then accepted a mission to collect four, yes four Black Boxes.

Entered the system, found the blue coloured USS, entered it, fought off some pirates, collected the four black boxes. This showed up in 'Transactions' as 4/4 Black boxes. No message about 'Mission Complete' but I took them back in case I missed the message.

Nope, could not complete the mission, so back I went.

I gave up after 14/4 black boxes collected and upteen bad guys killed!

Nah this is not a pile of crock, it is simply 'Horse poo!!'. :)

Top Bottom