Controlling E:D with voice - for free

I had this problem: Voice Command is a neat tool, but it uses the locale settings of your computer for recognition (i.e. it would only recognize german pronunciation in my case). Since I wanted to speak to E : D in english I had to 'roll my own' software (Speech2Keys) which is now done.
It's free (as in 'beer') if anyone else wants to try it out (headphones with attached microphone strongly recommended!).

It can be found on youtube by searching for "Speech2Keys Tutorial # 1: Controlling Games with Your Voice for Free"
Link to the sources and executables is provided in the video description.

I would really love to get some feedback on this (and I have already some nice macros going like auto-docking request by just pointing at a station, etc.)

See you in the void.

I would have gladly paid the 8 dollars...but I don't want to speak to E : D in german - and have the replies enunciated in german. The translation is OK, but nowhere near the 'feel' of the original.
You can only change the language of Windows if you own the Ultimate edition (which I don't) or using some semi-illegal tools (like vistalizator - which nearly broke my system).
It was a fun programming excercise, in any case :D

I have already some nice macros going like auto-docking request by just pointing at a station, etc.

How do you do this? I mean it seems to me you can't know for sure which menu on the left the game is in beforehand, and I can't find any bind able hotkeys that relate to docking requests, so i'm not sure how you've done this?

Tool looks pretty cool from the video, I especially like how you can have it say stuff when you give it a command :)

I would have gladly paid the 8 dollars...but I don't want to speak to E : D in german - and have the replies enunciated in german. The translation is OK, but nowhere near the 'feel' of the original.
You can only change the language of Windows if you own the Ultimate edition (which I don't) or using some semi-illegal tools (like vistalizator - which nearly broke my system).
It was a fun programming excercise, in any case :D
You do not need to explain it to Smeagol up there - you already explained it in your OP - he simply needs to learn to read. Besides, it really wouldn't matter if you had no issue at all as your free to create whatever you want and the fact that you shared it with us for free is a bonus. So +1 Rep and thank you.

How do you do this? I mean it seems to me you can't know for sure which menu on the left the game is in beforehand, and I can't find any bind able hotkeys that relate to docking requests, so i'm not sure how you've done this?

Tool looks pretty cool from the video, I especially like how you can have it say stuff when you give it a command :)

Usually the left tab is selected (e.g. when you launch). you are right. igf you select a different tab the macro will fail. but in 99% of cases it works (the macro is detailed in the User Guide). short version:

target ahead
go to target panel
go 2 tabs right
select (since the first action was targetting the station will be highlighted)
go one down (request docking option)
select
switch back to front view (UI focus).

You have to add a few pauses in between because opening of menus takes a bit of time.

One thing i noticed right away, is that I can't bind keys from my HOTAS, so i have to go and make alternative binds in the controls. Binding HOTAS keys would be a nice feature :)

One thing i noticed right away, is that I can't bind keys from my HOTAS, so i have to go and make alternative binds in the controls. Binding HOTAS keys would be a nice feature :)

Heh..didn't catch that one but I' not sure how to solve that (also no clue how to get the Alt key working. Shift and ctrl combinations work fine) . Currently the only things I do via joystick (HOTAS X55)are:
- menu up/down/left/right
- menu tab next/previous
- primary and secondary fire
- maneuver
everything else is on voice commands :D

You do not need to explain it to Smeagol up there - you already explained it in your OP - he simply needs to learn to read. Besides, it really wouldn't matter if you had no issue at all as your free to create whatever you want and the fact that you shared it with us for free is a bonus. So +1 Rep and thank you.

Oh I read it ok, you can buy Voice Attack for 8 dollars does it all and comes with unlimited updates.

You only need external software for VA if you are running XP.

Heres your -rep back.

Oh I read it ok, you can buy Voice Attack for 8 dollars does it all and comes with unlimited updates.

You only need external software for VA if you are running XP.

Heres your -rep back.
You obviously still didn't read very closely as the OP states why he made the software which had nothing to do with money. However, I thank you for the -Rep because I really could give a rats Asp about what my rep is on here :)

Another thing that would improve functionality, would be editing a key sequence you're making. Currently it seems you need to wipe it and start from the first key if you make a mistake.

I got the docking request working, and so far i must say i find the tool very nice :)

Another thing that would improve functionality, would be editing a key sequence you're making. Currently it seems you need to wipe it and start from the first key if you make a mistake.

I got the docking request working, and so far i must say i find the tool very nice :)
Cool :)

You can delete individual entries in the keys list (select and then hit del)...for some buggered reason it doesn't work with multiselect. I'll look into this.
Maybe I'll just make the list single-select and then you can add keys after the selected item? That would negate the "multi-select and then add pauses after all selected items in one go" feature, though.

Decisions, decisions.

What do you think would be more user-friendly?

For me it works to delete multiple selections, as long as they're beside each other (Mouse drag select). Can't delete if i select with ctrl at different places in the list.

If i could add keys after a single selection, then i would be satisfied with the way it works now.

I would have gladly paid the 8 dollars...but I don't want to speak to E : D in german - and have the replies enunciated in german.
And you don't have to.
You can change this in the Systemsteuerung.
b02755947f8f2c259b7bc8aa28d01d0f.png

I did and my Voice Attack understands me just fine - in English.
Also, if you really want to enjoy VA, get one of the community packs, I couldn't fly without them anymore.
I bought both, the "Elitedangerousvoicepack.com" one (The one you hear in the example video) and the "Vocal Response Compilation".
Example: http://youtu.be/V4lq8U4hOv8

Both are great, although I prefer the voice and style of the "Vulcan" voice pack. Unfortunately, in my case, the VRC provides WAY more different sounds for situations, like many different responses for so many occasions. It just sounds too "human" to me to be a ship computer and the intonation is way off in many files, unfortunately. But that may again be a preference thing...

For me it works to delete multiple selections, as long as they're beside each other (Mouse drag select). Can't delete if i select with ctrl at different places in the list.

If i could add keys after a single selection, then i would be satisfied with the way it works now.

Fixed it:
- you can now also ctrl-select/shift-select multple entries and delete them
- if there is a single item selected in the listbox any further keypresses will be added after that item (however you must first click into the textbox again, otherwise it will swallow the first 'key down' event.)

Top Bottom