Ships Could you comment this Mamba build

Greetings!

I've been playing Elite for a while and i'm just getting into more serious engineering. I really like Mamba and have been flying it mostly A-Rated for a while now. Took some time today to scetch out rather specific build for PvE at RES Bounty Hunting (and why not PvP for mostly entertainment purposes). The main emphasis is on speed and agillity and the idea was to basically max them out and build an effective build around that. I know FdL is superior (except max speed) to Mamba in this purpose but i've flown that ship enough for now. In short planning to do a satisfying build around speed with max BH effectivenes. Cytoscramblers are to help with the big shields and that Icendiary gimballed C3 multicannon makes the smaller targets less of struggle. I mainly fly with FA-OFF. I would really appreciate some comments and suggestions for improvements : )

Build

See you in the black, o7

Edit: Heat sink should be engineered to Ammo capacity.

I like your build idea for PvE, your weapon loadout is fitting to the idea of a fast attack ship.

I suggest using the huge multi for corrosive. The two larges could go with autoloader, because incendiary (what I would otherwise apply)
is made redundant by the cytos. I like efficient cytos better, especially in a 642 m/s ship, but try longrange and if it suits you, go for it.

What I don't like is your shield setup.
An A rated shield is the worst variant nearly most of the time. Either go for a prismatic, or use a biweave (especially in PvE)

I'd go for a 5c reinforced biweave and skip the SCB. You can disengage against NPCs at will, and recharge your shields.
Put some more hull on your ship instead.

And forget PvP. You'll be up against things like this Mamba below:
(my Mamba, and it's far from the Meta...)

Here is a new version. Changed the shield setup, added more hull, tuned the weapons and tweaked the resistances around quite a bit. I just realised that the changes in resistances are not affected by the size of the Hull reinforcement package. Now its a lot more well rounded in terms of defence and that major weakness to explosives of the previous build is mitigated. And the build still maintains practically optimal thruster/drive perfomance (+1 ton above minumum mass).

Good advice by Bigmaec. Shields are vital for me, and these Bi-Weaves are really nice, with good resists. Those will serve you well.

However, recovery and recharge say 'never' What is that about?

This ship has a jump range of one light year. It wouldn't be the first time I failed to see why another commander made certain choices, and if you told me you deploy this ship like a SLF from a carrier, or only ever flew it it one system, then OK, maybe. But otherwise, that is going to need a rethink.

Last edited:
In that link the SYS pips happen to be at zero, hence the recharge shows never. The reasoning behind 2D fsd is to just enable supercruise from station or carrier to desired location within star system. To hyperjump i'll install the actual 4A fds with appropriate engineering and bigger fuel tank. Once in the target system i'll install a stock 2D fsd (engineering doesn't really matter here, just happened to leave it in place in the coriolis link) and minimal fuel tank to maximise manoeuvrability and head to RES for example.

Edit: typo

You would do that for an extra 3 m/s of boost? Well I did once say we all look for every edge we can, so good hunting commander.

In that link the SYS pips happen to be at zero, hence the recharge shows never. The reasoning behind 2D fsd is to just enable supercruise from station or carrier to desired location within star system. To hyperjump i'll install the actual 4A fds with appropriate engineering and bigger fuel tank. Once in the target system i'll install a stock 2D fsd (engineering doesn't really matter here, just happened to leave it in place in the coriolis link) and minimal fuel tank to maximise manoeuvrability and head to RES for example.

Edit: typo
If you use an increased range FSD in your build linked above, you lose 5 m/s boost speed, virtually no maneuverabilty loss to speak about,
and gain 25 LY jump range in case you suddenly need to jump.

I don't use those 2D FSD builds any more. At worst you see me use a D rated increased range FSD or a shielded A rated one.
Which in your case would give you 13.5 and 17.4 ly respectively.

Edit ninja'd by @sinisalo

If you use an increased range FSD in your build linked above, you lose 5 m/s boost speed, virtually no maneuverabilty loss to speak about,
and gain 25 LY jump range in case you suddenly need to jump.

I don't use those 2D FSD builds any more. At worst you see me use a D rated increased range FSD or a shielded A rated one.
Which in your case would give you 13.5 and 17.4 ly respectively.

Edit ninja'd by @sinisalo
Certainly a valid point!

Here is a new version. Changed the shield setup, added more hull, tuned the weapons and tweaked the resistances around quite a bit. I just realised that the changes in resistances are not affected by the size of the Hull reinforcement package. Now its a lot more well rounded in terms of defence and that major weakness to explosives of the previous build is mitigated. And the build still maintains practically optimal thruster/drive perfomance (+1 ton above minumum mass).

I quite like the build you've got going here, it's quite similar to one of mine with a few minor differences.

Disco 3000

This is my main CZ ships and has never let me down so far, mostly Efficient Burst Lasers for extra damage & less power draw and a Huge Corrosive MC for even more damage.

I will agree with the others that difference in FSD size is negligible and it's always good to have an escape route or in case you find yourself in a busy system and can't get into Super Cruise (y)

Interesting, that's really similar to Big guns although I sacrificed some speed for shields.

I find this is still a valid combat machine even when the multis are drained (usually the 3rd/4th Med CZ), but the Huge beam and MCs combined will cause capacitor drain even on 4 pips to WEP, so I use two fire groups. The first with the Class 4 Beam on 1 and the cytoscramblers on 2, the other with the Class 4 beam on 2 and the Class 3 multis MCs on 1, ie. Fire Group 1 for shields, Fire Group 2 for Hull. This setup cuts down the mental overhead; when you have a target in (gimballed) sight, Trigger 1 is on. You only think about Trigger 2.

I do wonder about either adding corrosive to one of the large MCs (less ammo for more damage ?) or replacing one of the cytoscramblers with a class 1 MC with corrosive. These would be an improvement, but it will solo High CZs so I haven't got round to it.

Heh, that is interesting. I think I haven't seen deliberately undersized Core internals on dedicated combat ships before. :eek: Interesting concept though!
Mind that my Mamba is still awaiting combat outfitting, so far I've only taken it round the station a couple of times, so I'm anything but an expert on the ship. However, a few general comments:

• Hull: Lightweight Alloy has 0 mass, so you can put on Heavy Duty and still have 0 mass. I wouldn't worry too much about Explosive Resistance, you've got PD for that.
  • Cytos: imo the only reason to put Focused on lasers is when you want to drill holes into hulls with them, and cytos can't do that. Long Range 2 is much cheaper to mod and will serve you just as nicely. I doubt you'd be hitting beyond 1.2km with that jitter anyway.
If you're tight on power you can also replace Oversized with Flow Control.
  • 4A MC: personally I'd never use Lightweight on that but I can see you're doing it for maximum speed. Overcharging it instead would still work out power-wise, and you'd lose 5m/s boost speed.
  • Instead of heat sink and chaff I'd probably try to squeeze in a few more shield boosters. One D with Kinetic-5 and one D with ResAug 5, for overall Kin/Thm resistances around 58%. Adjust your power priorities to shut off the cargo hatch when weapons are deployed.
Do keep the Point Defense though, you're prolly gonna lose shields now and then.

All suggested changes implemented here:

Your choice of engineering on your Hull, HRPs & SBs is really not optimal. It looks like you're trying to balance resistances, but there are better ways to do that. Here's what I'd change...

Currently your hull is 1350 - 2340/2370/1980 (boost 641)

1. Reactive Plate G5 lightweight, deep plating
2. Smallest HRP G5 thermal, deep plating
3. All other HRPs G5 heavy duty, deep plating
Hull becomes 2310 - 4090/4210/2310 (634 boost)

Or

1. Lightwight Plate,G5 heavy duty, deep plating
2. All HRPs G5 heavy duty deep plating
Hull becomes 2140 - 2895/3210/4387 (639 boost)

As for your SBs...
4. All SBs G5 resistance augmented, super capacitors
I'd also drop the point defense - you can boost faster than missiles! - and add a third SB.

I've been tinkering with a Mamba lately too. Here are some things I see in your build.

Your jump range is too low. You can boost away from most hostiles and low wake out, but you will not be able to hi wake without better range. This is a big deal if you try some PVP.

Your shields are really low for a mamba. Rather than carry the Point Defense, Chaff & KWS, I'd just carry shield boosters, especially if you want to go the PVP route. The KWS is less important now - since combat & bounties were buffed.

Top Bottom