Engineers Ships Couple questions, new to data points

I’m trying to get security firmware patch.

I’ve done many searches and while they have helped a lot, there’s three questions I can’t find answers to.

1) Of all the videos I’ve watched of people running around settlements and scanning the data points, they are never getting shot at or incurring fines and bounties. Yet when I try, I get bounties and get shot at. Some have mentioned a red zone, but I never see it in my ship or my scarab.
a) do I need to get a cordial or friendly status with the faction?
b) if there is a specific path that avoids ing them off, how do I see it?

2) Where is the best place to go for this mat? If I’m looking for carbon, I can use the searches and go to a planet that has a high percentage. Is there anything similar with data mats?

3) the other way is by mission rewards. But again where is best? Are there any stations that have a higher rate for this mat?

Thanks, appreciate all help

Go to John Jameson's crashed Cobra, it's at HIP 12099 1 B. When you get to the planet Jameson's crash site can be found by targeting the crash site on the plaint's surface from orbit. No need to try to find it with longitude and latitude. Last time I went I did it in solo so I had no hassles from humans and had nothing else attack or threaten me in any way. Google John Jameson's crashed Cobra for more info. You may not be able to get what you need, but you can load up on grade 5 encoded materials and go to a material trader to get what you want.

Go to John Jameson's crashed Cobra, it's at HIP 12099 1 B. When you get to the planet Jameson's crash site can be found by targeting the crash site on the plaint's surface from orbit. No need to try to find it with longitude and latitude. Last time I went I did it in solo so I had no hassles from humans and had nothing else attack or threaten me in any way. Google John Jameson's crashed Cobra for more info. You may not be able to get what you need, but you can load up on grade 5 encoded materials and go to a material trader to get what you want.
Thanks, I will do that.

Would still like to figure out how to scan settlement data points without getting shot at.

You might be landing in the trespass zone. To prevent the skimmer killing exploit FD had a kneejerk reaction and put massive trespass zones around many type of bases. There are still many more bases that don't have the massive trespass zone, you just have to find one. You will get a warning if you're flying into a trespass zone in your ship and you should see a red border on the ground in your SRV.

Thanks, I will do that.

Would still like to figure out how to scan settlement data points without getting shot at.

M2M sites ( list of sites: http://ed.b101010.ru/aul/ [not mine]) has 3 points all outside trespass zones, easy to do run in time, I use it for MEF and things like SFP etc are common. Image below, scan point 1 through the wall (i.e. drive in between the two lower silos in the image).

Have fun.

Last edited:
You might be landing in the trespass zone. To prevent the skimmer killing exploit FD had a kneejerk reaction and put massive trespass zones around many type of bases. There are still many more bases that don't have the massive trespass zone, you just have to find one. You will get a warning if you're flying into a trespass zone in your ship and you should see a red border on the ground in your SRV.

I get the warnings, then I fly out and land outside the trespass zone. Then I drive in closer in my srv trying to find a route that doesn’t activate the trespass. I haven’t found a non trespass route or seen the red yet, I just get the warning. You’re saying you can see the red on the ground outside the windows of the srv?

There are many YouTube videos of guys collecting data points without getting shot at, they just have to get it done within the time limit. I’m trying to figure out how they are getting shot at;

1) do they gain a cordial or friendly rep with the controlling faction?

2) do they drive a route that gets them past the trespass zone without activating it?

3) do they destroy all the defenses so they can then scan data points without getting shot at?

Or something else?

Thanks!

I get the warnings, then I fly out and land outside the trespass zone. Then I drive in closer in my srv trying to find a route that doesn’t activate the trespass. I haven’t found a non trespass route or seen the red yet, I just get the warning. You’re saying you can see the red on the ground outside the windows of the srv?
You will see it on the scanner. I'm not playing a lot atm otherwise I'd get you a screenshot.

Wanted to post an update after trying out suggestions from above. Thanks to everyone above for helping me figure this out. What I was farming were the grades 2-5 encoded firmware. At all the locations below, once you scan all data points, save and exit, then restart. You can do it as many times as you like. I googled their system and which planet they are on, then used a surface scanner to find the sites on the planet.

I found the Bug Killer to be the best place to farm Modified Consumer Fireware.

I found the Crashed Cobra to be the best place for Cracked Industrial Firmware.

And I found M2M settlements (the one closest to me was Auld Prospect), I used the link Para Handy above posted to find the closest, to be the best for Security Firmware Patch and Modified Embedded Firmware. Looks like the only trespass zone for M2M settlements is inside the compound and you don’t need to get in there. The one data point that is in the trespass zone can be scanned through the wall.

For medium and high security, I never did find a way to see trespass zones on my ATV scanner, then drive a route avoiding the zones. Every trespass zone I encountered, except M2Ms, seemed impenetrable. I still don’t know how people do those without getting shot at, but at least it doesn’t matter now as these 3 ways above gave me everything I needed.

Thanks again for the help!

Top Bottom