CV1 Runtime CPU check (SSE 4.2) on equally fast XEON 2x QUAD 3GHz

If you have tried the download link from Oculus Site for the Runtime Drivers here:
https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/setup/ but can not get it installed due to a CPU Check (called SSE4.2) then fear not! (uninstall it and restore system)

Unless the installer has been updated by Oculus and now removed the SSE4.2 cpu check yet? Presently not! (21/2/17)
https://forums.oculus.com/community...t-has-the-installer-check-been-removed-please

Then here's a workaround by using the version 1.7 Runtime from 28/3/16 which is the one just before this check was added in 1.4 but will still update to the latest Runtime version without doing this check. Oh, you will still get a warning that your PC is not compatible but ignore it. There's a way to hack a file to rid it if you search this but I don't like to for a program that relies on updates. Search halfway down here for a post by SCAWEN, a game dev for 'Live for Speed' (www.lfs.net)
https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/comment/408108/#Comment_408108
IF YOU KNOW A DIRECT LINK OF THIS FILE FROM OCULUS THEN PLEASE POST IT

You can even run the CV1 (with HMDI so best use DVI>HMDI for a monitor and NOT the DisplayPort), Sensor, Gamepad Controller dongle all on the Motherboard's USB2.0 as this is more than ample. In fact USB3.0 is NOT reliable for extension lengths over 15ft where USB2.0 is and besides any extensions must be the powered types. For E:D you won't need these so be careful if using link cables. Early CV1s had badly produced HMDI connectors so do check these but N.B. the lower right shorter pin is the 3V power which prevents a short circuit upon hot plugging.

Now then, ASW came out last November by Oculus (edited) and runs by default. It was intended to make slow computers faster by capping at 45fps but therefore hinders fast computers which can manage 90fps. The FPS on your monitor is NOT the same as for the Rift. To check it you may use the Oculus Debug Tool which BTW is now not needed to get better performance since E:D 2.2 now has specific HMD SuperSampling. On these XEON computers you won't need any SuperSampling on any of them.
You must disable ASW manually by Control + Numpad 1. Just spin your Ship and compare it with other settings +2,+3,+4 and you may see they are worse!
You then have to toggle ASW with hotkeys:

CTRL+Numpad1: Disable ASW, go back to the original ATW mode

CTRL+Numpad2: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW disabled

CTRL+Numpad3: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW enabled

CTRL+Numpad4: Enable auto-ASW
(default, use this first)

So Oculus have not done a great job in their customer friendly "consumer" software but at least we know how to make it work!
If you need to Setup any part of the controllers then the Oculus Store has this ability in Settings and you can even view the version number if need be.

Now catch up and have fun in VR with your so called outdated but as fast as Computer!

Set HMD Headphones in game graphics settings plus: -
VR HIGH Settings and can make all Ultra but:
Low RES for monitor
V-Sync=OFF
Shadows=Low
Blur=OFF
Bloom=OFF (Set Gamma 1 or 2 clicks off full - adjust Dashboard brightness) No God Rays!
AA=AAFX
Draw Distance=Full
Depth Of Field=OFF
Ambient Occlusion=OFF
GalMap=upto you!

Last edited:
i.e. your old XEON computers that are in fact as fast as the i7 in terms of processing and faster than the i5 and comes with only USB 2.0 on the motherboard is in fact:
VR READY!

Last edited:
OK, your post was not very clear... but I get it now. I'll test to see if this helps me on my i7... it might.

Have you tried pressing Control and Numpad 1? (Make sure Numlock is enabled). You can do this within the game. It is an Nvidia bind key.

Your i7 should not fail the SE4.2 test. Try the Oculus Site link first for latest Install file but some have and in this case you may need that link to the Beta1.3.2 Runtime as you need for XEON chips but with previous installs totally removed (I use System Restore). The only down side to using that version is you have only the choice of installing further Games from Oculus Home onto the C: Drive. If you purchased E:D from Frontier then you simply run it from Launcher and OH runs auto once HMD Headphones is set. It keeps loading the OH whenever you wear the Rift due to its built-in sensor.

Nice link to edit the black: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...Rift-CV1-bad-low-end-gamma?highlight=cv1+rift

Last edited:
If you have tried the download link from Oculus Site for the Runtime Drivers here:
https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/setup/ but can not get it installed due to a CPU Check (called SSE4.2) then fear not! (uninstall it and restore system)

Unless the installer has been updated by Oculus and now removed the SSE4.2 cpu check yet? Presently not! (21/2/17)
https://forums.oculus.com/community...t-has-the-installer-check-been-removed-please

Then here's a workaround by using the version (1.3.2?) Runtime from 28/3/16 which is the one just before this check was added in 1.4 but will still update to the latest Runtime version without doing this check. Oh, you will still get a warning that your PC is not compatible but ignore it. There's a way to hack a file to rid it if you search this but I don't like to for a program that relies on updates. Search halfway down here for a post by SCAWEN, a game dev for 'Live for Speed' (www.lfs.net)
https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/comment/408108/#Comment_408108
IF YOU KNOW A DIRECT LINK OF THIS FILE FROM OCULUS THEN PLEASE POST IT

You can even run the CV1 (with HMDI so best use DVI>HMDI for a monitor and NOT the DisplayPort), Sensor, Gamepad Controller dongle all on the Motherboard's USB2.0 as this is more than ample. In fact USB3.0 is NOT reliable for extension lengths over 15ft where USB2.0 is and besides any extensions must be the powered types. For E:D you won't need these so be careful if using link cables. Early CV1s had badly produced HMDI connectors so do check these but N.B. the lower right shorter pin is the 3V power which prevents a short circuit upon hot plugging.

Now then, ASW came out last November by Nvidia and runs by default. It was intended to make slow computers faster by capping at 45fps but therefore hinders fast computers which can manage 90fps. The FPS on your monitor is NOT the same as for the Rift. To check it you may use the Oculus Debug Tool which BTW is now not needed to get better performance since E:D 2.2 now has specific HMD SuperSampling. On these XEON computers you won't need any SuperSampling on any of them.
You must disable ASW manually by Control + Numpad 1. Just spin your Ship and compare it with other settings +2,+3,+4 and you may see they are worse!
You then have to toggle ASW with hotkeys:

CTRL+Numpad1: Disable ASW, go back to the original ATW mode

CTRL+Numpad2: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW disabled

CTRL+Numpad3: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW enabled

CTRL+Numpad4: Enable auto-ASW
(default, use this first)

So Oculus have not done a great job in their customer friendly "consumer" software but at least we know how to make it work!
If you need to Setup any part of the controllers then the Oculus Store has this ability in Settings and you can even view the version number if need be.

Now catch up and have fun in VR with your so called outdated but as fast as Computer!

Set HMD Headphones in game graphics settings plus: -
VR HIGH Settings and can make all Ultra but:
Low RES for monitor
V-Sync=OFF
Shadows=Low
Blur=OFF
Bloom=OFF (Set Gamma 1 or 2 clicks off full - adjust Dashboard brightness) No God Rays!
AA=AAFX
Draw Distance=Full
Depth Of Field=OFF
Ambient Occlusion=OFF
GalMap=upto you!

Best post I've seen from you - great guide and helpful! :)
Repped.

Some points to note;

ATW and ASW are Oculus features (not nVidia)
ASW is not enabled on all GPU's (nVidia 960 and up)
NumLock must be turned on for the ASW mode shortcut keys to be enabled.
Monitor window resolution isn't important - the scaling is computationally minimal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom