DCS World News 2017

Little post for folks: A bunch of chaps called 4YA (you can find them on discord, and in the multiplayer server browser) run a slew of Co-op multiplayer servers with 50 slots for all the maps currently available, with all airframes (including some of the modded ones like the A4) and SRS Support.

Its quite the experience and very casual drop in/out.

10/10 would recommend

Even though I've played a lot of military simulation "games", DCS has evaded me until now.
After some recent research on armored warfare games, DCS's Combined Arms looks very nice. Another EA game is Gunner Heat PC that's had my eye for about a year or more.
DCS has a lot more to do vs GHPC. I can fly planes or ride/command MBTs. I just watched an informative vid on how to control the MBTs.
I played all the early tank sims from M1 TP, Armored Fist, T34 or Steel Fury (Graviteam iirc), SteelBeasts (all), and others ( I didn't mention WoT or AW due to the arcade-like play style but ... those too).
The only combat flight sims I've played were IL2 and LOMAC (an earlier Eagle Dynamics game). In DCS I can fly a P51 for free. My favorite air asset in LOMAC was the A10; so much fun to attack ground targets.
DCS may be a future download if I can convince myself to quit playing other games during my limited gaming schedule.
have a nice day

Even though I've played a lot of military simulation "games", DCS has evaded me until now.
After some recent research on armored warfare games, DCS's Combined Arms looks very nice. Another EA game is Gunner Heat PC that's had my eye for about a year or more.
DCS has a lot more to do vs GHPC. I can fly planes or ride/command MBTs. I just watched an informative vid on how to control the MBTs.
I played all the early tank sims from M1 TP, Armored Fist, T34 or Steel Fury (Graviteam iirc), SteelBeasts (all), and others ( I didn't mention WoT or AW due to the arcade-like play style but ... those too).
The only combat flight sims I've played were IL2 and LOMAC (an earlier Eagle Dynamics game). In DCS I can fly a P51 for free. My favorite air asset in LOMAC was the A10; so much fun to attack ground targets.
DCS may be a future download if I can convince myself to quit playing other games during my limited gaming schedule.
have a nice day
I haven't looked at Combined Arms for a while now but it wasn't milsim grade. Very awkward controls. It is like a complement for scenarios where air is still the star. Or some really funky stuff for friends.
DCS main selling point is detailed and authentically modelled aircraft with accurate handling and procedures. The detailed models with clickable cockpits are sublime. The flight models are sublime.
The tank sim isn't. But you can drive around AA assets, even play as a manpad (albeit very clunky). I wish Combined Arms was more detailed and milsim like and DCS could outclass Arma.

the video below is what I watched to see about ground vehicles are controlled. I don't think I need a true armored sim like Steelbeasts or GHPC to enjoy the ground game ( I played SB thousands of hours and even built my own scenarios I posted on the SB website).
I did not expect as much in regards to being a tank commander or gunner with DCS but this level isn't bad imho. I have not played SB Pro PE in a couple of years. I would end up playing from the map instead of always in a vehicle. The map mode in SB was very good since you could drop in to any of your controllable vehicles and control, recon, watch, as the battle develops.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt7Hg3N35Qk

have a nice day
I've been involved with GH-PC since very early access as a patreon backer...Speaking from the viewpoint of a former tank soldier, it's well on point. Highly recommended.

Strangely enough, the predominantly WW1/WW2 flight sim, IL2 Sturmovik's tank scenarios and combined arms are some of the very best in video gaming, the tank interiors like the aircraft are modelled beyond belief :)

Last edited:
^^ Impressive. I never thought to look at IL2 for land battles. I have IL2 on Gog I bought over a couple years ago. Back then I couldn't get it to work very well on my newest computer so I moved on to other games at the time. I flew IL2 Pacific Fighters hundreds of hours back when it was new and on a much older computer. Looks like a reinstall is in its future.
I bought DCS Combined Arms last night; I couldn't resist after watching a few videos. It includes with the base program, two planes I can cut my teeth with plus learn how to use the land battle features.
Have a wonderful week

the video below is what I watched to see about ground vehicles are controlled. I don't think I need a true armored sim like Steelbeasts or GHPC to enjoy the ground game ( I played SB thousands of hours and even built my own scenarios I posted on the SB website).
I did not expect as much in regards to being a tank commander or gunner with DCS but this level isn't bad imho. I have not played SB Pro PE in a couple of years. I would end up playing from the map instead of always in a vehicle. The map mode in SB was very good since you could drop in to any of your controllable vehicles and control, recon, watch, as the battle develops.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt7Hg3N35Qk
Sounds fine then. I crafted SP scenarios for me where would start at my house, then drive to the air base and some crisis would enfold: Coup d'ètat and you are last bastion of defence for the motherland. Withstand the renegade onslaught of rebel sparatists who are backed by foreign power with your limited supply of other foreign power backing.
You can design such things and have a "somewhat" action game / sim with such stories where you can jump through a couple platforms as major milestones.
The units are supposed to be controllable with Combined Arms but I found it not very intelligent AI. The best outcome was creating a scenario with timed spawns and planned skripts for AI behaviour.

Can confirm: You're better off playing Steel Beasts if you're looking for a Tanker game or GHPC (or of course ArmA 3) because, well the terrain model in DCS is more conducive to aircraft than it is land based forces.

Has anyone seen the new Phantom trailer? I'm interested to see how Jester 2.0 fares, seen as we're getting the Intruder from Heatblur at some point in the future.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO9mDV7ZkVk

Loving the radar in the F-15E, its awesome for BVR,

Re HARMS, and what someone was asking about a page back, You have to tell the Harm what type of emitter (SA2, SA6 etc) its going to be looking for when using them directly, but within this, there are different modes to fire them in for example PB (pre-breifed) which will launch the HARM at a specific area, when getting close it will turn on its seeker and look for the specific emitter, as opposed to HAS mode, when you will use the seeker of the Harm whilst still on the plane to search for the emitter (much shorter range) once it becomes active. If using the HTS pod on a Viper, you just have to lock onto them in the HAD screen, and the rest is taken care of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom