Dear Frontier, An Open Letter RE: GalMap

I think it's grossly unreasonable.
Especially the part were the OP writes "Please, on behalf of explorers, traders, miners, racers, and even a few combat pilots and griefers.... On behalf of the Elite community, please just give us back our black info-dump panel and it's 1/5th screen consumption."

He/she is claiming to represent ME & quite WRONGLY ASSUMES that MY opinions are similar TO his/her opinions & that I want Frontier to change these things back.....I DON'T!!!!
He represents us well, actually. And if you've read more of the threads here, reddit, and discords, you know he actually is representing others as well. Get off your high horse.

So by your own arguments, the new UI is far superior to the old UI.

Even if the new UI saves on space, it still feels more cramped in by the layout. Using the new UI feels like I'm being ambushed by information, my eyes dart back and forth across the screen trying to locate that button I'm looking for. In Horizons, all the information was in one spot, it was just a matter of being in the right tab. Horizons only had 5 tabs upfront whereas Odyssey has 22-24 buttons some of which pop out their own menus making this new UI more difficult to navigate.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
100% agreed with OP. This thing is hot garbage for user experience. Go vote! https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/34669
The issue tracker is used for reporting bugs. That's not a bug, all it does is clutter up the tracker making it harder for the team to find genuine issues.

Even if the new UI saves on space, it still feels more cramped in by the layout. Using the new UI feels like I'm being ambushed by information, my eyes dart back and forth across the screen trying to locate that button I'm looking for. In Horizons, all the information was in one spot, it was just a matter of being in the right tab. Horizons only had 5 tabs upfront whereas Odyssey has 22-24 buttons some of which pop out their own menus making this new UI more difficult to navigate.
I don't disagree that the way the information is behind so many clicks and pop up menus is annoying. I gave my feedback as such during the Alpha.

But that's not what this thread is about, and the initial post is deliberately misleading. Which, once again, detracts from genuine concerns about improvements that can be made.

What's with all the "it's more clicks" posts?
With your hand on the mouse, a click is less than 1mm movement! Are we really becoming that lazy as a species?
Its not about the additional clicks, its about the scattering of the information they the need to see. With the new UI they need to look in 10-15 diffent places and need to remember all of it where as before you could have gotten the information from 2 or 3 tabs.

With your hand on the mouse, a click is less than 1mm movement! Are we really becoming that lazy as a species?

It's the fact that every click required to do/find the same thing means more time spent doing said things. As someone said in one of these threads, find yourself a system with 40+ bodies compare how much faster you can look up info on each of those bodies with the Horizons UI compared to this new one. If you spend a lot of time using the system map to find vital info, then all these extra clicks quickly add up.

There are no real redeeming features to this new UI for me, at least none that couldn't have just been added to the Horizons UI. Even after becoming familiar with the layout and generally knowing where things are, I still find it beyond frustrating to use. Maybe if I was new to the game and had never used the Horizons UI at all I would think this is pretty cool but as it stands, every time I try to use it, all I can see is how much more tedious even the most mundane of tasks have become.

Last edited:
Its not about the additional clicks, its about the scattering of the information they the need to see. With the new UI they need to look in 10-15 diffent places and need to remember all of it where as before you could have gotten the information from 2 or 3 tabs.
I honestly find the new Galmap alot easier to navigate! Filters are self-expolanatory (down the left), info (down the right) is simple to find.
The old Galmap annoyed me to no end - I'd end up clicking through every tab to try and find something (The old Tabs had scattered information that wasn't necassarily relevant to that particular tab).
The new search bar is 100x better - the old one would rarely find the system I wanted, unless I typed the whole system name without any spelling errors..... the new one I just have to type a few letters and get suggestions!
The 'plotted route' bar at the bottom (distance, number of jumps) is something I've been wanting for ages, too!

Overall, I find the new Galmap alot more intuitive and self-explaining and when the alpha ended, I was sad to have to go back to the Horizons map!
The only bit of the old Galmap I miss in any way, is the 'poppup' with distance, plot route, select system.........

Disclaimer: Nothing in this post was written to disrespect anyones opinion or cause any upset or anger to anyone!

Funny, for me it was the opposite. When Alpha ended and I went back to the Horizons UI, it made me realize just how awful the new one was for me. By the way, you didn't need to type the full name of the system in the old search. It didn't pop up suggestions, but you could type a partial name and hit enter to cycle through matches. I won't claim that Horizons UI was perfect. There were definitely some QoL tweaks that could have been made. But what they've replaced it with is so much worse for me. It's taken the fun out of the game for me by turning simple tasks that are a necessary part of the game into a mind-numbing chore.

By the way, you didn't need to type the full name of the system in the old search. It didn't pop up suggestions, but you could type a partial name and hit enter to cycle through matches

This is one feature that i miss.
Sure, the list we get now is nice enough in the bubble, but it's not a replacement of that missing feature.

Some of us just use the hotas exclusively, I only use the kbd for typing in system names. I only use the mouse to log in with.
I’m glad I never ordered it, it sounds like it would have been straight back to horizons for me.

I'd be pretty much completely fine with the new UI if the system information panel was always open. I think separating the filters in multiple tabs / buttons was a good idea, and some feature are more easily accessible now (of course it's more clicks, but more clicks is better than having to scroll multiple times imo). It's just the information you need >80% of the time that should be open by default and not take as much room as it does now.

Also the fact that the information panel in the system map closes when you missclick is annoying, comparing celestial bodies should just be as easy as simply hovering the mouse over them.

Last edited:
Looks like the gal map and system map issues got some notice...

Top Bottom