DEAR FRONTIER- Free Marketing Advice!

I got myself Squadrons Arena yesterday, won't hold me for long but at least I'm going to try out a better VR experience than the modded X-Wing alliance I have running now (at least visually)

Actually i am mostly curious on one thing: if you buy that game from Steam or Epic, can you actually use it without the origin launcher? I mean, i now keep reading that there is a current issue, that if you buy the game from another source than the origin launcher, you can't start it without some origin code.

But among the mess of complaints about these problems, i still can't find a clear statement, if the Steam or Epic version (when not having a bug) can be used without the Origin launcher, or if this abomination still has to be on your system for Star Wars Squadrons to run.

(As one might be able to guess from this text: if the Origin launcher actually is required, it's a clear no-go for me. I'll never again have that mess of a launcher on my system. )

That is two decades ago.

So what? A decade ago everybody thought that spaceship games are dead and gone. Not a single new one for many years. Which doesn't change the point he was making: such mechanics were present in spaceship games before ED even was announced. Just because there was no spaceship game with these mechanics, in a time when basically no game of this kind was released at all, the point is not wrong. (Else i dare to say that Star Wars Squadrons is the best Spaceship game ever developed. I mean, show me another Spaceship game released in the last 24 hours which is better... )

Last edited:
Not to mention the Wing Commander series
Wing Commander games also had the ability to rotate the ship while moving independent of your flight path, allowing you more face-time on your target--one of the low hanging fruit of FA-off in this game. Don't recall if you could do that in the X-Wing series, as I didn't put much time into those.

[x] doubt
1601643880705.png

I would love to see NPC ships flying around with custom ship paints and even mod kits on their ships. It would add a lot of variety to all of the ships looking the same everywhere and it could also serve as a form of advertisement for what players could go spend Arx on to get.

If they see an NPC flying a ship that looks great, they might be more motivated to check it out in the shop for their own ship.

Also yes, energy management systems are not unique to Elite, all of the great space sim games of the 90s had them.

Top Bottom