Death by Thargoid Heart?

So, I was busy in an AX CZ in my Krait and, with the help of some NPCs, took down a Cyclops. As I was going to restock and repair anyway, I thought I could scoop up the thargoid heart that was still floating about and bring it to the next station to see how much those paid for nowadays. I opened the cargo hatch, approached the target as usual and think I successfully scooped it up.
What happened next wasn't according to plan though: Suddenly my hull was degrading from caustic damage; this was of course expected, as I hadn't had the foresight to fit a CRCR, but it happened way faster than I've ever seen (and I've transported thargoid parts before), like two percent of my >2000HP every second. In panic I opened the cargo screen to jettison the offending organ, but there was no thargoid heart to be found. Few seconds later, my ship exploded.
In retrospect I'm unsure about some details, namely if I actually got the "cargo collected" message upon scooping and if I managed to launch a decon limpet (to no avail) before the end.
Now, did I encounter a bug? Or did maybe the act of "running over" the heart smash it and contaminate my hull? The cloud from the Cyclops exploding had already dissipated (this happened at least one minute after the kill), so that can't be it.

The cloud is very hard to see these days... it may have still been around.

Maybe... is it really that aggressive compared to the caustic missiles? Even if I had reacted faster, I'm not sure if a decon limpet could've saved me in time.

OTOH, I just remembered that corrosive cargo actually affects ones subsystems and not the hull (give me a break, it's been some time since I last hauled that stuff for Palin!), so you may have a point there.

Maybe... is it really that aggressive compared to the caustic missiles? Even if I had reacted faster, I'm not sure if a decon limpet could've saved me in time.

OTOH, I just remembered that corrosive cargo actually affects ones subsystems and not the hull (give me a break, it's been some time since I last hauled that stuff for Palin!), so you may have a point there.
Yup... it's really deadly compared to the caustic missile. And yeh.. corrosive cargo only affects subsystems.

I think you got hit by the cloud OP, even taking multiple caustic missiles the hull damage is never that quick.

Whereas when you think the cloud is gone and romp in all happy to go and get the heart (this is my personal tale here) and get even the last tiny bit of the cloud, it is way way worse.

o7

It was the cloud and I know this because exactly the same totally never happened to me.

edit

I even found my thread

Last edited:
It was the cloud and I know this because exactly the same totally never happened to me.

edit

I even found my thread

*corrosive brofist*

Yep, the cloud after a Thargoid Interceptor's explosion is pretty deadly. Wait until it dissipates, then scoop (or send a limpet to collect) the heart.

Mm, Thargoid Hearts.

Top Bottom