Dinosaurs Buildings & Attractions General Gameplay Deep Water (provided with images to showcase how it could work)

The general idea is to have Deep Water implemented as a new feature via Landscaping tools, with a rather complicated explanation as to how it could work in-game using images for further demonstration.

I've noticed that some people would like to see deep water in the game, sometimes for swimming dinosaur animations. But, never has anyone ever thought of and "dug deep" enough as to how deep water in-game could work out, based on how Jurassic World Evolution is designed.

"Digging deep" was what I did for this idea's case to see how exactly, should it be planned to become a thing, deep water as a whole could potentially work out well, in concept.

First off, deep water should have a limited depth. Meaning, you can only make water so deep to a certain degree. Using my experimental enclosure on my Isla Nublar map, I've demonstrated of how I think how deep water can be in Image #1 below.
There is an absolute very good reason as to why I think it should be like this. But, before we get to that reason, let's talk about how the fences in-game should affect deep water surfaces in Image #2 as it will help me explain the reason a little more.

For fencing, I think it should be like the buildings to that degree, where they flatten the terrain around them. Fences in-game can't do that, but I think they should when it comes to the deep water, since it wouldn't make sense for them to go under the water, if you know what I mean.
Now for my good reasoning for why the elements in my two images above should work with deep water: I believe that all dinosaurs should be able to go into deep water. For your small herbivores, medium herbivores, armored herbivores, small carnivores, and large carnivores, they should all have their own real-time swimming movements when they enter deep water, and my ditch from in Image #1 is actually deep enough for them to actually float and swim. On the contrary, the giant herbivores (the all of which are sauropods) I think are too heavy looking to be swimming properly, so I think it's best that they should "walk" in deep water instead. You can see how this can be below in Images #3 and #4.

The very sole reason as why I think all dinosaurs in-game should be able to go into deep water and why the fences should raise the level of water back to "shallow" when placed in deep water is this: Jurassic World Evolution is a video game that is well themed to its parent franchise, the Jurassic World trilogy saga of the Jurassic Park franchise’s film universe series. The biggest element this series has is dinosaur chaos, which includes dinosaur breakouts. In fact, there are few missions in-game that requires you to contain "Aggravated" behavior mode dinosaurs, mission require individuals with scripted aggressive behavior that automatically makes them rampage, or even just typical stressed out dinosaurs like the required diplodocus and deinonychus you must create and torture for Isla Tacano's science mission, from escaping or what not.

If deep water made it so that any dinosaur species couldn't go into deep water and is surrounded by it where it couldn’t escape, that would most certainly break the immersion of the JP feel the game already has. But in Image #5, I am confident that the raised and flattened ground when fencing is placed in deep water concept is flat enough for any dinosaur to stand on and, should they do so, break the fences without worrying about swimming while doing it.
Terraforming wise, I think it could be similar to how the terrain tools under Landscaping work in a couple of ways I could think of. One: Deep Water could be a tool of it's own that will instantly place that specific deepness of water I showcased into your parks. Two: It could be something similar to the "Terrain" tab where you can determine how deep the water can be, and how much of a slope you want it to be.

(The only real question I have for this is, would the foliage the nature painting tool of Landscaping can place (Forest and Shrubs) and scenery tree objects still be placed and appear in deep water. I know that scenery rock objects would be okay, but what about the foliage you can place from the Landscaping and Scenery tabs?)

Never the less, this is how I think deep water could work out, should it be planned and decided to be implemented in-game.

Very well thought out and I agree with most. However, there are a couple of points I can't really agree with: first, that all dinosaurs should be able to go into deep water... don't get me wrong, that would really be ideal and natural to some extent, but some species such as the recently added Nigersaurus or any stegosaurid or ankylosaurid (both of which have their heads, and thus their nostrils, close to the ground) would surely avoid it. I don't really think any of them would go deep into the water once they found out they can't breathe, you know. Unless, maybe (and I think it's a big maybe) chased by a carnivore or any other threat.

Second, I think both fences and vegetation should change within that kind of terrain. I don't think it makes much sense for fences to automatically raise the terrain, because they would need to be placed over nice foundations, otherwise water action and other factors could add to make them weaker than any other stretch... and it doesn't really make sense to have trees and ground vegetation plunged under water. Yeah, there are certain environments and species that could tolerate that, but most of them keep at least some part of themselves above water level.

Edit: Just to mention that this could also add another gameplay feature in terms of dinosaur care, because in a similar way spinosaurids and maybe other species could show their adaptation and swimming animations, others such as the stegosaurids and the rest mentioned above could get a chance to drawn on it (either by being chased into it by predators or other threats, or by accidentally falling into it while drinking).

Very well thought out and I agree with most. However, there are a couple of points I can't really agree with: first, that all dinosaurs should be able to go into deep water... don't get me wrong, that would really be ideal and natural to some extent, but some species such as the recently added Nigersaurus or any stegosaurid or ankylosaurid (both of which have their heads, and thus their nostrils, close to the ground) would surely avoid it. I don't really think any of them would go deep into the water once they found out they can't breathe, you know. Unless, maybe (and I think it's a big maybe) chased by a carnivore or any other threat.

Second, I think both fences and vegetation should change within that kind of terrain. I don't think it makes much sense for fences to automatically raise the terrain, because they would need to be placed over nice foundations, otherwise water action and other factors could add to make them weaker than any other stretch... and it doesn't really make sense to have trees and ground vegetation plunged under water. Yeah, there are certain environments and species that could tolerate that, but most of them keep at least some part of themselves above water level.

Edit: Just to mention that this could also add another gameplay feature in terms of dinosaur care, because in a similar way spinosaurids and maybe other species could show their adaptation and swimming animations, others such as the stegosaurids and the rest mentioned above could get a chance to drawn on it (either by being chased into it by predators or other threats, or by accidentally falling into it while drinking).
I think no dinosaur should be blocked off by deep water entirely because this is not your ordinary zoo construction and management game, it’s a game that is made to have the feel, authenticity, and theme of a Jurassic Park film environment. If it had cheep real world looking stuff and mechanics like you would see in any typical real world zoo or zoo game for all the in-game animals, this game won’t be so Jurassic Park series authentic. Nigersaurus I see as an exception in that it could paddle in water like an elephant because of its size and uniqueness because of it compared to all the others sauropods.
(It should be noted that I made this thread before the Herbivore Dinosaur Pack DLC was revealed and released. I posted it after the pack was released so that I know what exactly the new update would bring about so that I don’t post something that may already be planned for release. Which was why I didn’t make any idea threads when it was revealed there was a massive update for the early summer of this year.)

If fences were placed where deep water is present without changing the terrain back to shallow water as it currently is in-game, deep enough for any animal to swim in, there won’t be much proper JP movie style escape and containment challenges the game itself and what certain missions in-game already have. That would be unfair JP immersion gameplay at the end of the day. What I tried to say there is while the fences can’t affect terrain levels in-game, they would have to do so if only placed in deep water.

Think about it.

Last edited:
I think no dinosaur should be blocked off by deep water entirely because this is not your ordinary zoo construction and management game, it’s a game that is made to have the feel, authenticity, and theme of a Jurassic Park film environment. If it had cheep real world looking stuff and mechanics like you would see in any typical real world zoo or zoo game for all the in-game animals, this game won’t be so Jurassic Park series authentic. Nigersaurus I see as an exception in that it could paddle in water like an elephant because of its size and uniqueness because of it compared to all the others sauropods.
(It should be noted that I made this thread before the Herbivore Dinosaur Pack DLC was revealed and released. I posted it after the pack was released so that I know what exactly the new update would bring about so that I don’t post something that may already be planned for release. Which was why I didn’t make any idea threads when it was revealed there was a massive update for the early summer of this year.)

If fences were placed where deep water is present without changing the terrain back to shallow water as it currently is in-game, deep enough for any animal to swim in, there won’t be much proper JP movie style escape and containment challenges the game itself and what certain missions in-game already have. That would be unfair JP immersion gameplay at the end of the day. What I tried to say there is while the fences can’t affect terrain levels in-game, they would have to do so if only placed in deep water.

Think about it.

Ok, there must be some serious misspeling or problem with my speech because it seems I explain myself very badly (sorry about that). I didn't say all dinosaurs should be blocked off by deep water, I think I did mention running into it due to being chased or fleeing, right?

But you've gotta understand that having species such as stegosaurids or ankylosaurids swimming around seems beyond logic, it's not only the issue of whether they would have being able to float enough or not, but their very bodily constitutions makes them unsuitable for moving around within deep water. So, no, I think those species would have been completely averted to enter deep water in normal conditions, which is not the same as saying they wouldn't in certain conditions and also survive sometimes...

I also apologise for poorly elaborating my view on the fencing point: I totally got you on that respect, but I just thought it would be better if a taller fence type was made for running on deep water or, even better, normal fences were stretched underwater towards the bottom of the watermass. As I've said, raising the foundations of the ground below water just to place a structure that needs to be as sturdy as a fence might end up making said structure weaker still. Using the already leveled and otherwise more stable ground underwater just seemed better, but I suppose this could work either way.

Think about it.
I think all uncomfortable dinos should be able to force their way through it, but only some would choose to roam in it and the others would avoid it unless they were uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I support this idea to 3000% !!!
We should also (in terms of water treatment) be able to create waterfalls much like in the game Zoo Tycoon 2, the system of creation of the waterfalls was really well managed.

This is a fantasic idea, and I fully support it, also could open the option for a rive ride too.
I havdn't built on a big chunk of Nublar. I want to wait for the river ride before I start.
If there would be an eventual kayak ride, like the Cretaceous Cruise of Jurassic World, it probably wouldn’t matter in-game. The water may be shallow for dinosaurs and jeeps, but it’s actually fairly deep enough already for such ride. Now, if it were for something like a boat ride, then that’s when you would probably need such deeper water.

Top Bottom