Deploying heatsink should imediatly end any FSD safety cooldown.

The heat sink pretty much purges all heat from the ships system however FSD cool down's are currently not accelerated by this. Personally if you are purging coolant your FSD should be rapidly cooled as well eliminating remaining cool down timers

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Not too sure it's a good idea, there needs to be a penalty for messing up not a 'get out of jail' card.

I always read 'cool down' not as a thermal matter, but spacer shorthand for the whole thing rebooting, resetting, trying to work out what damage was done, then spinning itself up again. It's not due to overheating it's dropped you from supercruise, it's been damaged because it could not longer maintain the drive state.

Lestat

Banned
Not too sure it's a good idea, there needs to be a penalty for messing up not a 'get out of jail' card.

I always read 'cool down' not as a thermal matter, but spacer shorthand for the whole thing rebooting, resetting, trying to work out what damage was done, then spinning itself up again. It's not due to overheating it's dropped you from supercruise, it's been damaged because it could not longer maintain the drive state.
You explained it better than I could. Rep 1+

The time does not seem to be spend on cooling down. I would expect the computer (and crew) are
  • doing a sysem diagnosis (possible damage, actual position...),
  • rebooting the computer programs,
  • possibly refuelling the FSD, though I think that is done in the starting sequence.
The first part should be the reason why you need more time because of a forced exit.
Of course the ED programmers could add a type of emergency FSD jump (activate twice or so) with a risk of damaging your FSD. This would be you hacking your own security protocols, an action unintended (and possibly punishable) by the producer.

The heat sink pretty much purges all heat from the ships system however FSD cool down's are currently not accelerated by this. Personally if you are purging coolant your FSD should be rapidly cooled as well eliminating remaining cool down timers

I agree with others that it would have a huge and negative impact on PvP. Otherwise there is logic in the suggestion, no doubt.

Simply rename "Cooldown" to "Reinitializing" or "Rebooting"

Semantics problem solved.
'Reinitializing' is a bit long for a player to be able to read on the HUD (which is meant to convey important information as quickly and efficiently as possible), so it would probably be wise to use something else. Additionally, 'Reboot' could cause confusion with toggling power on the FSD (or being Grom-bombed), so it probably isn't the best option either.

Personally, I'd go with 'Reset' since it is very short and easy to read while conveying EXACTLY what the FSD is doing.

Engineering wise, if the FSD is indeed in a "cool down" then as the OP says a heatsink ought to take care of that, however the result of implementing the suggested mechanic is so full of exploitable unintended consequences, I don't see how it could ever be balanced, so sadly I have to object to the idea, despite its underlying valid engineering credentials.

Simply rename "Cooldown" to "Reinitializing" or "Rebooting"

Semantics problem solved.
'Reinitializing' is a bit long for a player to be able to read on the HUD (which is meant to convey important information as quickly and efficiently as possible), so it would probably be wise to use something else. Additionally, 'Reboot' could cause confusion with toggling power on the FSD (or being Grom-bombed), so it probably isn't the best option either.

Personally, I'd go with 'Reset' since it is very short and easy to read while conveying EXACTLY what the FSD is doing.

Reset is the word I was about to suggest....

This one... as an analogy, when you do a cool down after exercise, say, a run, you don't just stop and douse yourself in cold water and say job done... that is a surefire way to cause injury.

A cool down instead is maintaining activity, stretching out your muscles and slowly lowering tempo until your body is fully recovered and reset. That's basically what FSD cooldown is.

This one... as an analogy, when you do a cool down after exercise, say, a run, you don't just stop and douse yourself in cold water and say job done... that is a surefire way to cause injury.

A cool down instead is maintaining activity, stretching out your muscles and slowly lowering tempo until your body is fully recovered and reset. That's basically what FSD cooldown is.
I deal with gas CHPs and "cooldown" is exactly the term we use to describe the process of shutting the thing off wherein the output is slowly ramped down, breakers opened, engine brought down to idle speeds, throttle cut, and finally reset once it's come to a halt.

Top Bottom