Developer Journal: Franchise Mode

Hiya, just seen a few questions pop up here and there so we wanted to give some additional information which hopefully answers most things!

Franchise Mode:
Some other bits:
Hope this gives some clarity on some of the discussions here :).

Dear Bo, I've reposted your information onto the Reddit channel of Planet Zoo (https://www.reddit.com/r/PlanetZoo/) hope you don't mind. Although I'm no moderator or creator of that Reddit channel however would it be possible just like you guys did on the JWE Reddit channel, that you crosspost information there, that was awesome and easy?

Also, I'm looking forward to Franchise Mode and seeing other people's Zoos! However is there a "size limit" in creating a park? As you spoke you can have different zoos yourself in Franchise Mode, are those Mods based on Themes (India, Savanah etc. like we have seen) and can we enlarge the parks ourselves (both size in landscape / and in amount of animals) or are we bound to a specific area / amount limit?

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Dear Bo, I've reposted your information onto the Reddit channel of Planet Zoo (https://www.reddit.com/r/PlanetZoo/) hope you don't mind. Although I'm no moderator or creator of that Reddit channel however would it be possible just like you guys did on the JWE Reddit channel, that you crosspost information there, that was awesome and easy?

Also, I'm looking forward to Franchise Mode and seeing other people's Zoos! However is there a "size limit" in creating a park? As you spoke you can have different zoos yourself in Franchise Mode, are those Mods based on Themes (India, Savanah etc. like we have seen) and can we enlarge the parks ourselves (both size in landscape / and in amount of animals) or are we bound to a specific area / amount limit?

We are only active on our official Forums, that's where you can find us :)

Thank you, Bo. So far I absolutely love everything I've heard about Franchise Mode. It's exactly the type of gameplay I was hoping for with PZ. I'm more excited than ever now :)

Thank you so much Bo! That clears a lot up <3 can we see on the market who's zoo the animal comes from? Does that info stay with the animal wherever it goes?

Hiya, just seen a few questions pop up here and there so we wanted to give some additional information which hopefully answers most things!

Franchise Mode:
  • This Mode is different from Sandbox, and the economy will always be there (so no unlimited funds).
  • Trading in Franchise Mode means you buy animals from other players in the Animal Market; you cannot trade with friends directly, but you interact with the Animal Market as a whole.
  • Trading is only for habitat animals, exhibit animals cannot be traded.
  • You can transfer animals between your own Franchise Mode zoos; for example if you have an amazing Grizzly Bear in your first zoo, and the next one needs some genetic diversity, you can grab that Grizzly Bear to be transferred to a new zoo within your own Franchise.
  • Deluxe Animals can only be traded with others who have the Deluxe Edition of Planet Zoo; if you have the Standard Edition they simply won't show up in your Market.
  • Franchise Mode always requires an online connection, however Career and Sandbox Mode do not - similar to Planet Coaster you just need to be online to validate your purchase, after which you can run the game in offline mode.
  • Conservation Credits are shared throughout all zoos in your Franchise, whereas in-game Cash is kept in the zoo it was earned in.
Some other bits:
  • Conservation Credits are not for sale, we absolutely do not have pay-to-win mechanics in Planet Zoo! You buy the game once. As the Developer Journal specifies, you can earn Conservation Credits through undertaking certain objectives, completing community challenges, releasing animals to the wild, and trading in the Animal Market.
  • Similar to Planet Coaster, the avatar you create can randomly appear in other people's parks; this is not the same as visiting other players' zoos! It just means that your avatar can appear elsewhere. The only way to "visit" other players' zoos, is to subscribe to a zoo that's been uploaded to the Steam Workshop, and open it on your own PC - this lets you explore what other players have created - exactly like how the Planet Coaster Workshop functions.
  • We will have more information on how the Beta will function in the next few weeks! For the breeding secret Piers mentions, you'll just have to wait patiently ;)!
me and the discord server are wondering if we can somehow find each other and trade with each other will there be a filter system perhaps? or a search system where we can find each other?

Franchise Mode:
  • This Mode is different from Sandbox, and the economy will always be there (so no unlimited funds).
  • Trading in Franchise Mode means you buy animals from other players in the Animal Market; you cannot trade with friends directly, but you interact with the Animal Market as a whole.
  • Trading is only for habitat animals, exhibit animals cannot be traded.
  • You can transfer animals between your own Franchise Mode zoos; for example if you have an amazing Grizzly Bear in your first zoo, and the next one needs some genetic diversity, you can grab that Grizzly Bear to be transferred to a new zoo within your own Franchise.
  • Deluxe Animals can only be traded with others who have the Deluxe Edition of Planet Zoo; if you have the Standard Edition they simply won't show up in your Market.
  • Franchise Mode always requires an online connection, however Career and Sandbox Mode do not - similar to Planet Coaster you just need to be online to validate your purchase, after which you can run the game in offline mode.
  • Conservation Credits are shared throughout all zoos in your Franchise, whereas in-game Cash is kept in the zoo it was earned in.
Some other bits:
  • Conservation Credits are not for sale, we absolutely do not have pay-to-win mechanics in Planet Zoo! You buy the game once. As the Developer Journal specifies, you can earn Conservation Credits through undertaking certain objectives, completing community challenges, releasing animals to the wild, and trading in the Animal Market.
  • Similar to Planet Coaster, the avatar you create can randomly appear in other people's parks; this is not the same as visiting other players' zoos! It just means that your avatar can appear elsewhere. The only way to "visit" other players' zoos, is to subscribe to a zoo that's been uploaded to the Steam Workshop, and open it on your own PC - this lets you explore what other players have created - exactly like how the Planet Coaster Workshop functions.
  • We will have more information on how the Beta will function in the next few weeks! For the breeding secret Piers mentions, you'll just have to wait patiently ;)!
Hello Bo!

Thank you for taking time to answer our questions, I understand you cannot trade with a friend directly, but if I want to sell one of my animals to a specific person, will there be like a private trade or trade by code? Otherwise if only animal trade is available someone else would be getting the animal
One more question if I may, on the Franchise mode since it is entirely online will you be able to pause or speed up and open previous saved files?

To me, this announcement is really disappointing. The idea of an interactive market is certainly an interesting one, but it hardly seems worth the cost of making what would otherwise be the default game-mode (building from scratch with economic limitations but no scenario objectives) inaccessible when playing offline.

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
To me, this announcement is really disappointing. The idea of an interactive market is certainly an interesting one, but it hardly seems worth the cost of making what would otherwise be the default game-mode (building from scratch with economic limitations but no scenario objectives) inaccessible when playing offline.

Hiya, Franchise Mode is online simply because it revolves around the breeding and trading of animals. We need to keep track of all of the births, deaths, trades and releases to the wild and so this information is held on our server to make sure it is correct and constantly in sync with all of our players.

The possible bad thing about this is that once servers will go down for good
(even if in far future, some people like to replay older games) or if we do not have internet acces at the moment, we wont be able to play this mode anymore.
And it seems there wont be any other mode like this but offline.
Could this be solved by implementing that if you play this online, you get player market, while playing it offline, it would be replaced by regular animal market controlled by the game?

Last edited:
You can transfer animals between your own Franchise Mode zoos; for example if you have an amazing Grizzly Bear in your first zoo, and the next one needs some genetic diversity, you can grab that Grizzly Bear to be transferred to a new zoo within your own Franchise.

Great so we could have a bachelor zoo kind of thing to move our males to if we want too keep them but not breed. (At least if the animals feel okay in the kind of social group.) is there a limit to the amount of zoo’s we can build under the same franchise?

Hiya, Franchise Mode is online simply because it revolves around the breeding and trading of animals. We need to keep track of all of the births, deaths, trades and releases to the wild and so this information is held on our server to make sure it is correct and constantly in sync with all of our players.

Will there be any other possibility to have zoos that are neither bound to a storyline or sandbox? I really do not care for storylines in management games but sandbox is not a challenge.

Another question arises: Can we have more then one franchise? I mean, can I only decide I want to have the franchise called "ABCD Animals" and yet play another (in another save file" that is called "EFGH Animals"? Or is the franchise locked to our Steam Username, so we can only have one?

Top Bottom