Development Update 1 - June

Last development update stream about the direction of the game turned out to be a forum post with a few paragraphs about the patch that was called Update 5.. I do hope that this development update stream will be an improvement and not the same as the last one.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore Hey there! Will there be another Development update by the end of July? I know you can't talk about stuff that isn't announced, but since @Arthur Tolmie said you would do them monthly it's technically already announced... ;)

Hello you :) Hope you're doing good.
As far as I'm aware, we haven't yet been given any reason for the plan to change regarding a progress update by the end of the month. As you know, with the wildly ways of Elite - this could change, but I don't wanna think like that right now :')

As far as I'm aware, we haven't yet been given any reason for the plan to change regarding a progress update by the end of the month. As you know, with the wildly ways of Elite - this could change, but I don't wanna think like that right now :')
If you do have to change that's ok.. we understand.
Hello Games went completely radio silent while they fixed their mess.. as long as this gets actually fixed and then more content added like they did, I think people will forgive frontier and may come back. It's probably gonna take some time though.

It's actions that people care about more than words right now.

Of course people want to know stuff if they can and if you promise them you're going to give them information they are gonna expect it more and more.

Awesome, that's all I wanted to hear. In the past we had some situations were stuff was announced and abandoned without further notice. But it seems like you are not joking when you want to improve communication. The fact that you replied at all is already a 100% improvement over the situation in the past years... ;)

Can you please put adjusting the jarring Cubes of B type stars towards the centre of the Galaxy on the to do list? no need to change anything that has already been explored, but the stellar forge could rebalance the unexplored ones, taking into account the composition of neighbouring cubes.

Also, planet surfaces are still generating regular recurring patterns, usually one big region of a given shape, then dozens of identical smaller versions of that shape, tiled perfectly level across the planet.

I don't understand why the plan would possibly change regarding a progress update by the end of the month. This possibility simply can not happen.

To not publish the promised and expected July Dev Update would not only be another significant disappointment but would clearly convey the message that the devs have done nothing of substance over the past month. I sincerely and charitably doubt that this is the case but that is the message that would be conveyed.

Certainly there are talking points of substance that can be discussed next week, the last week of the month, even if those talking points aren't finalized deliverables. Talking in honest detail about what problems the devs are facing w/r/t e.g. performance or planetary tech, why those problems are difficult, and what progress has been made on those problems would be sufficient. To be clear, examples such as the Passenger Missions at Burning Stations Update, the Weapon Engineering Recipe Fixes, and the First Time Trading Tracking Fix are minor talking points at best.

To not publish the promised and expected July Dev Update would be the sort of inaction that justifies the players' sentiments that FDev no longer cares about Elite.

To not publish the promised and expected July Dev Update would be an admission of failure.

This possibility simply can not happen. It would be unacceptable.

FD can do whatever they want (as recent events have shown), and there isn't anything you, I, or anyone else outside of FD can do about it. Deal with it.
au contraire.. it was a direct result of the bellyaching and dissatisfaction that the company did an aboot turn and decided to fix the thing. If we all just sat on our hands or said "This is fine" we would have been left with a terrible product.
Feedback is vital and sometimes criticism helps all parties involved. Not silly remarks though but helpful feedback combined with the right level of emotion. If a company thinks they can get away with screwing over their customer they likely will.

I honestly do not see much to talk about. In June 5 Updates, in July 0 Updates. Might as well cancel it, unless you are ready to reveal Road Map for the remaining 2021 year.

Untitled4.jpg

Last edited:
au contraire.. it was a direct result of the bellyaching and dissatisfaction that the company did an aboot turn and decided to fix the thing. If we all just sat on our hands or said "This is fine" we would have been left with a terrible product.
Feedback is vital and sometimes criticism helps all parties involved. Not silly remarks though but helpful feedback combined with the right level of emotion. If a company thinks they can get away with screwing over their customer they likely will.
'Doing what they want' means exactly that. Sometimes they do things to the customers way of thinking, and sometimes not.

I'm always confused by the posting of Steam charts as some sort of indicator. Games are released and are popular. They get played for a bit, and then people move on to other things. Yep, Odyssey is messy and quite a few people have left for that reason. But how come the same amount of people aren't playing Cyberpunk anymore? Or No Man's Sky? Or Mass Effect Legendary Edition?

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing at all to do with lockdowns ending, summer starting, people leaving their computers and going outside and seeing people they've not seen in a long time.

I'm always confused by the posting of Steam charts as some sort of indicator. Games are released and are popular. They get played for a bit, and then people move on to other things. Yep, Odyssey is messy and quite a few people have left for that reason. But how come the same amount of people aren't playing Cyberpunk anymore? Or No Man's Sky? Or Mass Effect Legendary Edition?

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing at all to do with lockdowns ending, summer starting, people leaving their computers and going outside and seeing people they've not seen in a long time.

Oh man i am so tired of people bringing their baseless speculations.

Here is same graph for FFXIV:

Untitled5.jpg

Where are your lockdowns ending? summer starting? going outside? - no, people keep on playing games they enjoy. That's all there is to it.

Oh man i am so tired of people bringing their baseless speculations.

Here is same graph for FFXIV:

Untitled5.jpg

Where are your lockdowns ending? summer starting? going outside? - no, people keep on playing games they enjoy. That's all there is to it.
Take a look at the graph of CS: GO. There are so many games on Steam, just pick the one that suits your argument...

Apart from that, people who use peak instead of average have no credibility anyway.

Top Bottom