Development Update 2 - July

How many types of craters do you need? When I look at the moon, I see that lots of craters look very similar... some are bigger, some are smaller... but that's it... What types of features would you like to see on crater diversity?

Unicorn shaped craters
We want.

Even our moon have the same'ol crater features. All round shaped.

isro-moon-crater-759.jpg
You kids remember me the same ones that went full "The Universe Is In Fact Very Very Dark So It's More Realistic Now" when Odyssey launched with its obvious contrast/exposure/lightining issue, that as we can see is being addressed for a couple of patches now, after Frontier finally saw no other option but to admit it.

Why are you guys such a living contradiction, such embarassment for your own selves? Honestly, what do you gain from it? It can't be the sense of contributing for a more peaceful community or reducing the complaining since despite the salt and toxicity, your comments are wrong at best. You had the effort to get a good crater picture from the moon, why avoid 10 more minutes investigating the topic to prevent ridiculing yourself?

Frontier doesn't care about developing a high quality product, yet the fixes and improvements are due to constant community pressure and vigillance, since the full-alpha-release was working fine in Braben's PC. Your white knighting haven't added a single improvement to the game and never will, your only help is allowing companies to thrive with bad development/business practices by creating this fog curtain with ignorance and positive posturing. The funnier part is not even Frontier takes you seriously.

You kids remember me the same ones that went full "The Universe Is In Fact Very Very Dark So It's More Realistic Now" when Odyssey launched with its obvious contrast/exposure/lightining issue, that as we can see is being addressed for a couple of patches now, after Frontier finally saw no other option but to admit it.

Why are you guys such a living contradiction, such embarassment for your own selves? Honestly, what do you gain from it? It can't be the sense of contributing for a more peaceful community or reducing the complaining since despite the salt and toxicity, your comments are wrong at best. You had the effort to get a good crater picture from the moon, why avoid 10 more minutes investigating the topic to prevent ridiculing yourself?

Frontier doesn't care about developing a high quality product, yet the fixes and improvements are due to constant community pressure and vigillance, since the full-alpha-release was working fine in Braben's PC. Your white knighting haven't added a single improvement to the game and never will, your only help is allowing companies to thrive with bad development/business practices by creating this fog curtain with ignorance and positive posturing. The funnier part is not even Frontier takes you seriously.

:ROFLMAO:

Used to be, 'round these parts the people who were in any way positive about the game were tagged as white knights, and people who were negative about the game were called haters.

Now, we've come full circle. Turns out the haters were the white knights all along, and the white knights have apparently never cared enough about the game.

Oh, the times we live in.

Used to be, 'round these parts the people who were in any way positive about the game were tagged as white knights, and people who were negative about the game were called haters.

Now, we've come full circle. Turns out the haters were the white knights all along, and the white knights have apparently never cared enough about the game.

Oh, the times we live in.

I think there are 'haters' that hate on the game, then there are 'haters' that hate on the rest of the community. Everyone has their off days, and a lot of people have been pretty frustrated for a long time, some hide that better than others.

Four Player Multicrew
Four Commanders will be able to board ships together for the first time, with a number of ships set to be equipped with a fourth cockpit seat, including several Commander favourites.
Multicrew sucks with 2x and 3x. Now you're going to make it suck harder with 4x?
New Odyssey Engineers in Colonia
This is a much requested community feature and we’re pleased to oblige. We’ll be revealing more detail around these engineers soon.
You're just now getting around to this?
Air Defence Turrets in Conflict Zones
We recognise that further balancing is required between on foot commanders and ships entering Conflict Zones. As such, further defence turrets will be added to Conflict Zones with associated on foot gameplay.
I'm amazed the developers didn't realize this would be a problem from the start. One of the first things a friend told me during beta: "No need to dirty your hands with ground combat. Fit a couple of dumb fire missile launchers and blow the scavs up from the comfort of your ship. Then land and loot the base."
Increased Stored Module Capacity and Bookmark Numbers
These are long requested community features which will arrive in the near future.
Not that I mind, but is there something wrong with Sidewinder bookmarks and simply managing your stored mods a little better? When there are SO MANY OTHER things you could be working on, like meaningful content and powerplay.
Mission Feature Extensions
We will be expanding mission features for Odyssey with the aim to increase mission diversity and also create stronger links between the in-cockpit and on foot game.
You are not going to make me warp out of my ship with a box delivery are you?

Not that I mind, but is there something wrong with Sidewinder bookmarks and simply managing your stored mods a little better? When there are SO MANY OTHER things you could be working on, like meaningful content and powerplay.
lol, sorry, but now you're trolling 🤣

Here is one from Horizons, long before Odyssey came out.

View attachment 253326

Thanks for sharing this. People seems to forget that Horizon wasn't perfect too. Odyssey planetary tech is slowly coming together and for me the exploration experience is way for exciting now than it was before.

No, it's not perfect and there is still place for improvements but there is way more diversity on a single planet than before !

I
I actually agree with you, and I'm just as likely to ignore a mayonnaise hater as I am a mayonnaise cultist. Just understand that there are people who love mayonnaise but hate the fact that the latest batch is full of mold, so they point out the mold to others in hopes that word will get back to the mayo factory and they'll fix the issues.

What I don't understand is when people say, "There is no mold!" when clearly there is. Don't these people want the mold issue fixed? Sure, they can scrape off the mold and enjoy the mayo underneath, that's fine. Heck, eat the mold, I don't care. But don't deny the existence of the mold, because then nobody wins.
I have yet to see even a single person argue the tiling issue doesn't exist. At best I've seen people argue it's not that big of a deal. Which is subjective, and I kind of agree with it. I am annoyed by the tiling on general principle, but the actual impact on my game has been none. I've landen on countless planets and bases and never once had the idea I wasn't in a unique location.

The fact bases are not PG is a far bigger issue to me because that does lead to a samey-vibe. But the tiling? Nah. Next time you see two' identical' bits land on both and see for yourself. Looks nothing alike at all.

Here is one from Horizons, long before Odyssey came out.

View attachment 253326
We had a guy here, Ziljan, who started a topic about the horrible repeating patterns in Horizons tech. Nobody really cared much about it then, even though frequently the grid structure was way more noticeable.

I didn't mind too much then and I don't care much now, even though improvements are always welcome. If Ziljan minds the new system, fine, at least he is consistent. All those people now jumping on the bandwagon wailing like an army of Comic Book Guys while never having noticed a thing for years until a content creator made an angry YouTube video?

Lol.

Horizons was a great addition to ED, and Odyssey is a great addition too. Not only are the planets much better, the actual gameplay on them is now finally pretty awesome too.

We had a guy here, Ziljan, who started a topic about the horrible repeating patterns in Horizons tech. Nobody really cared much about it then, even though frequently the grid structure was way more noticeable.

I didn't mind too much then and I don't care much now, even though improvements are always welcome. If Ziljan minds the new system, fine, at least he is consistent. All those people now jumping on the bandwagon wailing like an army of Comic Book Guys while never having noticed a thing for years until a content creator made an angry YouTube video?

Show us the evidence right now, in Horizons. As far as I'm aware, that crater grid pattern screenshot was from the Horizons beta and was fixed soon after release.

So please show us the Horizons evidence that we "haven't noticed for years", because every attempt so far to introduce the "Horizons repetition" straw man into Odyssey threads has failed so far. The main reason it's failed is that it doesn't exist except at the smallest of scales, where some repetition has to be expected, whereas in Odyssey the entire new terrain generation is designed around repetition, at every planetary scale. There's also the fact that FDev said Horizons terrain is generated "entirely mathematically", whereas Odyssey terrain uses "pre-generated terrain shapes."

But perhaps you can do a lot better than the others, and prove FDev was lying about Horizons.

I look forward to your Horizons repetition evidence.

Show us the evidence right now, in Horizons. As far as I'm aware, that crater grid pattern screenshot was from the Horizons beta and was fixed soon after release.

So please show us the Horizons evidence that we "haven't noticed for years", because every attempt so far to introduce the "Horizons repetition" straw man into Odyssey threads has failed so far. The main reason it's failed is that it doesn't exist except at the smallest of scales, where some repetition has to be expected, whereas in Odyssey the entire new terrain generation is designed around repetition, at every planetary scale. There's also the fact that FDev said Horizons terrain is generated "entirely mathematically", whereas Odyssey terrain uses "pre-generated terrain shapes."

1) no, I am not going to cancel my holiday, travel back home, launch a game version I have no interest in playing, only to show an internet stranger a thing I just said I don't care about myself.

2) the 'repeating grid' was 'mathematically' created too, that means nothing.

But thanks for the wildly aggressive post, and best of luck with it. I'll check out Odyssey when I get back, feel welcome to play Horizons if you want. Or dont, it's really the same to me.

Last edited:
1) no, I am not going to cancel my holiday, travel back home, launch a game version I have no interest in playing, only to show an internet stranger a thing I just said I don't care about myself.

2) the 'repeating grid' was 'mathematically' created too, that means nothing.

But thanks for the wildly aggressive post, and best of luck with it. I'll check out Odyssey when I get back, feel welcome to play Horizons if you want. Or dont, it's really the same to me.

The wildly aggressive post was yours, when you accused players of, and I quote, "jumping on the bandwagon wailing like an army of Comic Book Guys while never having noticed a thing for years."

So you may notice just how aggressive that was, and also how wrong you are, since you know very well there's almost zero repetition in Horizons, while Odyssey bases its new terrain generation on repetition. Need I also point out the hypocrisy of calling my reply aggressive after re-reading yours? ;)

Last edited:
Please do increase mission variety for all mission types :/ Passenger missions? Either a quick - same old - hop or thousands of light years away :/ Sight seeing missions are properly varied though :) - though there's room for more again when it comes to things that can occur en route. Speaking of which: in what universe would it ever make sense to sell your passengers to a deranged Anarchy slave trader (like something of Star Trek TNG haha), for far less money than you would get for transporting them to where they want to go. Much of this game's universe and mission design has been woefully dumb. There's so little to think about when it's wall to wall shallow farce and 80's mission 'thinking'. The elephant in the room. You hired the wrong people for these tasks; please improve. Combat and transport missions are the opposite of varied :( Mining missions? Dunno :| On foot missions? Same crap again :( Such little mission variety that the UI got a bunch of related Darwin awards - like distance to mission destination from system's star. If real life was designed like Elite Dangerous: it would largely be pure existential horror - with some impressive views to look at and some combat (sometimes fun, sometimes not so much).

Oh yeah, I become a high ranking military member (which means hardly anything) by doing lots of passenger missions (where I have learned it's best to ignore 'passengers who all too often request a different destination' :( because it's nothing but ) and a few promotion missions - which could just be a courier mission... :(

Just some thoughts of an Elite Dangerous 'player' :/ lol

I have discovered that an Xbox Elite controller (on PC only) is far superior to a standard Xbox controller in Elite Dangerous. You can use left-click and the back button for left and right thrust and map them in a controller profile the paddles on the underside of the Elite controller. Then you have lateral and vertical thrust while using yaw at the same time. That's a big advantage over peeps on a standard Xbox controller. If you're going to fly round a dumb universe doing crap missions: make sure you're enjoying the act of piloting as much as possible.

Last edited:
FOUR PLAYER MULTICREW? Three player multicrew doesn't even work 50% of the time. Why would you invest manhours into something like this when so few in the community have asked for it and the current state of multicrew is buggy at best. Why not fix the current state of multicrew?

4. Cargo Canisters get stuck in the Megaship
will this fix eventually be included in horizon/base game as well? because - no suprise there - the situation in horizon/base game is exactly like it was, broken for the last 2,5 years.
as all megaships/installations gameplay is in space, it would be great to have that fix not restricted to odyssey ;-)

as my odyssey account is too far from any megaship or installation to test i actually don't know whether it works in odyssey now -

Greetings Commanders,

With the end of July closing in on us faster than a getaway Mamba with illegal cargo, we wanted to share our second monthly developer update with you now.

As mentioned in David Braben’s recent post, we have adjusted our planning to retain our development focus on the PC version of Odyssey before revisiting our plans for console. This change in planning will mean we are able to deliver more bug fixes, performance improvements, as well as some new features and content.

Issue Tracker

Similar to last month, we would like to update you on key issues as voted for by our community on the Issue Tracker. You can visit the Issue Tracker and vote for your top issues or make a report.

1. Lighting and Illumination in Odyssey
  • Changes in Update 6 will address lighting issues, however we’ll continue to monitor any feedback and make adjustments if necessary.
2. Degraded terrain textures compared to Horizons
  • Update 6 will bring significant improvements in this area, however we’ll keep the issue open for further feedback and make adjustments if necessary.
3. FPS performance in Odyssey
  • Further improvements and optimisations have been made which will be deployed in Update 6. Significant work is underway to improve this further.
4. Cargo Canisters get stuck in the Megaship
  • Fixed for release in Update 6.
5.Hyford's Cache missing Scannable Data Point
  • Fixed – awaiting deployment (Update 6 / maintenance).
6. Retrieval from crash site mission POIs no longer appear
  • Fixed – awaiting deployment (Update 6 / maintenance).
7. Odyssey sticks at “Loading Game” when launch
  • Fixed for release in Update 6.

Upcoming Updates and Content

As promised, we also wanted to share with you work in progress content and improvements which will arrive in future updates.

While bug fixes and performance improvements remain a priority and activities such as narrative, events, and community goals will continue. However, our new approach allows us to add further content and features.

This month, we would like to share some of the content currently in development. Please note these are at varying stages of progress, and other content is also being considered. Please also note they are not final and are subject to change. We will keep you updated with news and details as they progress and we expect the content to release over the coming few updates.

Planned for later this week (Update 6)

Planetary Colour Improvements

Planetary bodies will see a number of improvements. Explorers will find new planetary colouration which will increase vibrancy and variety. These improvements will still be grounded with real science, but will offer a much richer experience for those looking to forge their own path through the black. Here are a few examples:

View attachment 252451View attachment 252452

There will also be further variation with the addition of earthy, gritty, and dirty ice worlds. These new textures will add even more variety. Here we can see a frozen CO2 and a tholin rich ice planet.

View attachment 252453View attachment 252454

Planetary Surface Improvements
Planet surfaces will also be getting an uplift with the following:

Improved surface texture detail, improved Ice materials, increased volcanism, improved lighting and the integration of new AMD technology FSR (which works on all GPUs) will bring a significant improvement to planetary surfaces visuals and allow for some improved performance.

View attachment 252455View attachment 252456

Camera Suite
Nothing would accompany all of these visual upgrades better than improvements to our camera suite. On the surface, we’ve reduced blackout intersections in the vast majority of scenarios. However, under the hood, we have actually implemented a whole new collision detection system which will allow you to move the camera freely around a settlement or social space and avoid bumping into those problem blackout spots.

Rocket Troops at Military Installations
AI rocket troops will be added to military bases providing a greater challenge for Commanders approaching in SRVs.

Please note these features will be accompanied by a vast number of other improvements, tweaks and fixes which will be detailed in a dedicated forum post ahead of release.

Future Updates

Here are other features currently in development, which are planned for future updates. As we get closer to their release, we will announce which of these will be included in each update with further details:

Four Player Multicrew
Four Commanders will be able to board ships together for the first time, with a number of ships set to be equipped with a fourth cockpit seat, including several Commander favourites.

New Odyssey Engineers in Colonia
This is a much requested community feature and we’re pleased to oblige. We’ll be revealing more detail around these engineers soon.

Air Defence Turrets in Conflict Zones
We recognise that further balancing is required between on foot commanders and ships entering Conflict Zones. As such, further defence turrets will be added to Conflict Zones with associated on foot gameplay.

Increased Stored Module Capacity and Bookmark Numbers
These are long requested community features which will arrive in the near future.

Mission Feature Extensions
We will be expanding mission features for Odyssey with the aim to increase mission diversity and also create stronger links between the in-cockpit and on foot game.

Apex Redirect
This will allow passengers to redirect their Apex shuttle mid-flight, to return to the port of departure, or divert their Apex shuttle to another location, fuel permitting.

As mentioned, this list is not exhaustive and we will be sharing more details on the content mentioned above and future, unannounced content in further monthly development updates and across our other channels.

Thank you as always for your continued feedback and support.

-Arf

As far as ground defenses go, could I suggest large, slow-turning turrets?

I've seen quite a few players just sitting above CZ's, shooting missiles down at npcs as they spawn. This obviously isn't how ships should play with ground CZ's.

But at the same time, I don't want ships to be prevented from interacting with ground CZs entirely. There should just be reasonable restrictions on how they play together.

My idea is larger, slow turrets that take a reasonable amount of time to turn to target things, but do heavy damage when they do.

What would the result of this be? It would mean that large ships would not be viable for attacking CZs, because, since they're less agile, the turrets would be able to easily target them and repel them. By contrast, smaller ships would move faster and more erratically, and therefore be harder to lock onto, allowing players to dogfight with them more easily, as long as they stay close to the ground, since the closer you are to the turrets, the more the turrets will need to turn to track you.

Lastly, there should be fighters on the surface that ground players can get into to dogfight players or each other. Death in these would have a much smaller penalty than losing your actual ship, since you'd just respawn at the ground CZ like normal.

@DemiserofD I like the thinking behind your post. I'm not sure if it would work as well as you would hope for though. Plenty of ships have lateral thrusters that would easily evade slow moving turrets. Ground CZs would certainly benefit from different vehicles and weapons, the 'sphere of combat' concept that was talked about pre-release.

Tanks, anti-tank guns, anti-aircraft guns, destructible buildings could all be pretty cool additions.

However, for now let's just get what we have working as it should and roll it out to all platforms. Then we should start asking for cool stuff to be added.

Top Bottom