Ships Diamondback Explorer Owners Club

This is mine -- pretty stripped down as you can see! The scoop is a perennial issue with the diamondback, but there is something to be said for "exploration minimalism" -- it has just enough space to fit everything (the only "mild luxury" I wish I could add is supercruise assist). And that jump range!

I wish they would put in weight reduction engineering for repair limpet controllers, too.

Last edited:
Hello,

i'm playing as a trader who is moving restless through the Bubble, i usually travel with 2 ships, my armed trader vessel, a Python called 'Tramp' (https://s.orbis.zone/dslq) and my DBX named 'Camillo' (https://s.orbis.zone/dslt).
Because i take on any fight i got offered when i run the missions, i quite often have to synthesize the 30%+ small calibre ammunition.
That means i'm quite often in need for the materials like Zirconium etc..
The DBX i do use for surface prospecting, exploring the neighbourhood for actual prizes/stock of commodities , running courier missions, searching USS and to do anything the Python is to big.
Because i quite often transport some stuff picked up when surface prospecting, i also get raided. And the DBX is like 'Camillo' was, a small dog (just below 20kg), but with really muscles, not looking for a fight but if, then he could stand on its own. The DBX with its 3 well placed slots can deliver quite a lot of punch. The class 3 beam strips of the shields an the 2 Multi Cannons with the pimped up ammunition takes care of the rest.
And if the opponent is to strong, some pips from weapons to engines and there i go.
Because it has a jump range of almost ~380ly i don't need a Fuel Scoop. The best planet for the needed materials is 150ly away, 3 jumps i'm there and i don't even have to refuel.
With that style of playing i just need the 2 mentioned ships.
Of course there are a couple more ships stored, a Krait Phantom for exploring, a FDL for fighting but no ship that needs a big landing pad.

HL252e1.jpg

Hey, just wanted to add my own Diamondback to this Thread, the "Yellow Submarine". Bought it when I didn't own horizons yet
and toured the galaxy a fair bit, never got past Sag A though. Take a look at this post for my very first trip away from the bubble.
I plan on doing a big expedition with DSSA Solsen’s Alastor as the main waypoint after Odysseys launch.

I clocked countless hours of exploration in my lovely ship so far, however I wrecked it almost immediately after arriving at Colonia a few days ago.
Loosing a ship that's accompanied you for so long just because you've made a dumb mistake hurts a bit.
After "salvaging and restoring" her, I've decided on a bit of an overhaul in preparation for the coming expedition. As it stands now, I doubt I will change anything
else before I depart, though maybe I'll optimize her a bit after returning to the bubble, as she is not more than a bit of sheet metal around an overclocked frame shift drive.
My main goal was basically max jump range without much compromise, which I have achieved with an unladen range of 80.57LY and an actual "expedition ready" range of 77.55LY, SRV included. Supercharged unladen range is 322.33LY.

I D-rated everything I could, including the 1D distributor which thanks to engine focus can still boost the 4D clean drive thrusters to
427m/s. Power is provided by a low emissions 2A PP, the only thing I didn't D-rate due to efficiency and heat output.
Fuel capacity is downgraded to 18 tons, which I've found to be enough without being too much of a hindrance.
A false sense of safety is provided by a 3D G5 enhanced low power shield generator. The FSD and DSS are CG parts.

What I might do after returning to the bubble is giving her a bit of a speed boost with 4D G5 dirty drives, a better distributor for more boosting, a more competent shield
generator and a larger PP if needed. Jump range ain't everything and as of now, sneezing on my fragile beauty might put a dent in her battered bulkheads.
I've also thought about sidegrading to a Krait for a while, though that would feel a bit like cheating^^
Even though I love my massive Corvette and nimble Vulture, I somehow always find myself back in the cockpit of my Yellow Submarine.

For anyone interested, here are the core specs again

• Jump range 77.55LY/ 80.57LY, 314.46/ 322.33LY supercharged
  • Top Speed 326m/s, Boost speed 426m/s
  • Power output 9.31MW, barely enough to keep her running but reasonably efficient
  • Shield strenght 89, integrety 266
  • heat generated in supercruise is 18%, 16% when disabling shields and power distributor

Any questions regarding my loadout or suggestions for improvement are more than welcome. I've still got some time for changes before departing again. Coriolis
Cheers Cmdrs

Greetings!

I looked at your build. If you wish, you can add extra shields. You will lose a couple of light years in range, but you will really improve your survivability in case you have rough landings or encounters with asteroids. You will also have better survivability if you encounter a hostile NPC when you go to inhabited space.

However, if you stick to solo or Mobius, your present build will serve you well provided you fly very carefully and don’t have any mishaps with hostile ships or have collisions with asteroids or other bodies. If you take this 89 MJ build to open play and a player in a G5 engineered combat ship attacks you, your can be easily one-shot.

This is why I always build my exploration ships with both jump range and survivability in mind. I sacrifice some jump range but add more shielding. It would be very sad to spend months getting hundreds of new discoveries and billions in data, only to lose it all to a botched landing, a collision, or a hostile ship. My proposed build, while not invincible by any means, does give you a much wider margin for errors.

CMDR Janet

Greetings!

I looked at your build. If you wish, you can add extra shields. You will lose a couple of light years in range, but you will really improve your survivability in case you have rough landings or encounters with asteroids. You will also have better survivability if you encounter a hostile NPC when you go to inhabited space.

However, if you stick to solo or Mobius, your present build will serve you well provided you fly very carefully and don’t have any mishaps with hostile ships or have collisions with asteroids or other bodies. If you take this 89 MJ build to open play and a player in a G5 engineered combat ship attacks you, your can be easily one-shot.

This is why I always build my exploration ships with both jump range and survivability in mind. I sacrifice some jump range but add more shielding. It would be very sad to spend months getting hundreds of new discoveries and billions in data, only to lose it all to a botched landing, a collision, or a hostile ship. My proposed build, while not invincible by any means, does give you a much wider margin for errors.

CMDR Janet
Thank You! Survivability truly is the weakpoint of my ship, I designed the shields more as "rough landing insurance", though even that is a bit of a stretch. I tend to avoid high G worlds, that wouldn't be an issue with your build. I mostly play solo, so I don't think I'll add any boosters but I think I will revise the shields to give me peace of mind.
It's always nice to hear what other players prioritize in their builds. Thank you for your feedback

Thank You! Survivability truly is the weakpoint of my ship, I designed the shields more as "rough landing insurance", though even that is a bit of a stretch. I tend to avoid high G worlds, that wouldn't be an issue with your build. I mostly play solo, so I don't think I'll add any boosters but I think I will revise the shields to give me peace of mind.
It's always nice to hear what other players prioritize in their builds. Thank you for your feedback
i have shared my longtime exploration dbe above (my main is sitting in one since several years as you do) - i'm a buimpy lander, so i went with a 3A enhanced low power shield. tested on a 10G world really, really focussed. i also have the habit of sometimes bumping into crystals or peduncle trees....

i have shared my longtime exploration dbe above (my main is sitting in one since several years as you do) - i'm a buimpy lander, so i went with a 3A enhanced low power shield. tested on a 10G world really, really focussed. i also have the habit of sometimes bumping into crystals or peduncle trees....
happened to me too, flew through a lagrange cloud admiring the view above me and smashed headfirst into a crystal

Top Bottom