Did I just save myself 100M Credits?

Here is my corvette (might not be 100% up to date). I like a PA in the bottom large for when NPCs think chaff will save them. My firegroups switch the PA for multis when the shield drops.

it’s got everything I need to run almost any mission. I also transfer mining goodies from my python to this ship for safe transport. It is practically a doomsday device for NPCs, hence the name Ragnorok lol

Necro time but hey it's my post and I have unfinished business :D

Firstly apologies for disappearing, it seems I upset some snowflake and was encouraged to take a break from the forums, my apologies to all I upset :(

Now for the good news, I have some humble pie to consume. Yep, got myself a Corvette and umm, err, [insert embarrassed look], really like it. I know, I know, I have often stated that big ships aren't for me and to a degree I still adhere to that paradigm. See, for me, the Corvette is just the big, bad brother of the Python, handles basically the same, is nearly as useful as the Python, just has a bigger punch. I have gone from beating NPCs during interdictions to throttling down so the blighters can catch up to interdict me. Whether they are Elite or Competent, alone or in a wing, I no longer worry about them, just get upset when they low wake out too early (but that's okay cos they always try again lol).

I took the Queen to the recently completed CGs, and running 400T cargo, quickly made it into the Top 10 in the haulage one and just by cleaning up the NPC's that interdicted me, made the Top 25 in the Combat one without really trying. Might have to do a few more of those :D

So fellow Commanders, I introduce you to the Phoenix Queen [build] (yes I could have named her 'Humble Pie' hehe):

Source: https://imgur.com/JYOzFCf

Firstly apologies for disappearing, it seems I upset some snowflake and was encouraged to take a break from the forums, my apologies to all I upset :(

Now for the good news, I have some humble pie to consume. Yep, got myself a Corvette and umm, err, [insert embarrassed look], really like it. I know, I know, I have often stated that big ships aren't for me and to a degree I still adhere to that paradigm. See, for me, the Corvette is just the big, bad brother of the Python, handles basically the same, is nearly as useful as the Python, just has a bigger punch. I have gone from beating NPCs during interdictions to throttling down so the blighters can catch up to interdict me. Whether they are Elite or Competent, alone or in a wing, I no longer worry about them, just get upset when they low wake out too early (but that's okay cos they always try again lol).

I took the Queen to the recently completed CGs, and running 400T cargo, quickly made it into the Top 10 in the haulage one and just by cleaning up the NPC's that interdicted me, made the Top 25 in the Combat one without really trying. Might have to do a few more of those :D

So fellow Commanders, I introduce you to the Phoenix Queen [build] (yes I could have named her 'Humble Pie' hehe):

Hey glad you like it. Yeah its great for being a care bear and getting to do combat (pve) again. Im only practiced not expert, but you don't need point defences (at my combat rank anyway) and another option for shields is to increase resistance instead of boosting mj. At large size they take an eternity to come back it seems a funner approach is to lose them less quickly.* Or if you do end up losing your shields in a large ship... well I've never had the patience to wait for them I usually end the combat session if that happens.

Now that you're corrupted the funnest game awaits... drifty ships + turrets. Combat is a completely different experience and I like it actually :) You also get to cutter cargo.

*If you pick your targets well you're still operational at low shields with resistances so you don't have to wait for that too.

Deleted member 182079

D
The Vette is still my favourite large ship and the rank grind was totally worth it.

No other ship in Elite gives me the sense of flying a Star Destroyer and the flexibility in terms of internals and hardpoints keep it fresh.

Recently started running mine with double huge PA's.. not the most efficient, but hilarious nonetheless.

Welcome back @M00ka - I'm glad it was a 'forced' holiday (I had one earlier this year) rather than something bad ;)
The 'vette is an interesting big ship, it certainly is my favourite armed trader / CZ ship.
Enjoy yours and bring us tales of 'derring-do' to the forum!

Welcome back @M00ka - I'm glad it was a 'forced' holiday (I had one earlier this year) rather than something bad ;)
The 'vette is an interesting big ship, it certainly is my favourite armed trader / CZ ship.
Enjoy yours and bring us tales of 'derring-do' to the forum!
Why thank you good Sir, it was an umm interesting time. So many posts demanding so many comments and all I could do was look from afar - sigh. That will teach me for calling out someone trying to hijack a thread of mine lol

Anyway, yes I admit I was wrong about the Corvette, I actually do enjoy flying it, both as a combat ship and a trader/mission runner. It is telling that prior to this acquisition I would be wary of taking on too many Elite missions, knowing I would run the gauntlet of interdictions throughout the mission. Now I slow down for so the blighters can catch me hehe. Yeah I like the Vette, still undecided on the Cutter but to be honest never liked flying that when I had it.

Deleted member 182079

D
The Cutter is alright in its own peculiar way, I hated its flight model at first but once you accept that it needs 50% of the system's space to turn, it can be fun in a 'proper' big ship kind of way. I usually resign to using it as a bulk hauler during CGs, but a while back took it to a RES and fitted with turrets it can be fun drifting in and around the asteroid belt. As a serious combat vessel I still much prefer the Corvette (as far as big ships go... my current favourite combat ship is the Viper Mk3 fitted with fixed beams - might even buy another skin for it as I think the curent build is a keeper - fast charging bi-weaves, fuel scoop, repair limpet controller and AFMU all while hitting 600m/s with 600 armour mean I can stay away from base pretty much indefnitely).

Why thank you good Sir, it was an umm interesting time. So many posts demanding so many comments and all I could do was look from afar - sigh. That will teach me for calling out someone trying to hijack a thread of mine lol

Anyway, yes I admit I was wrong about the Corvette, I actually do enjoy flying it, both as a combat ship and a trader/mission runner. It is telling that prior to this acquisition I would be wary of taking on too many Elite missions, knowing I would run the gauntlet of interdictions throughout the mission. Now I slow down for so the blighters can catch me hehe. Yeah I like the Vette, still undecided on the Cutter but to be honest never liked flying that when I had it.
R9PtRju.gif

Re wing delivery missions
As OP pointed out, these do not pay that well for the time involved if you elect to do them on your own.
The same is true for the 'source x' type.

But if you do them as a wing, and each cmdr takes an even(ish) amount of the cargo total, then every person gets the same reward.

So in extreme example, assume each member of Wing can move 500 tons of cargo, then a 5,000 ton deliver only requires each cmdr to make 2 or 3 trips at most. Now that makes the reward much better, than if on your own you have to make 10 trips.

Of course finding people to regularly wing with is the issue. 😏

Mining is about the only rational use case for the big ships, with the exception of using the Anaconda for exploration or passenger missions. Same with Orca.

If it's missions - use a Python or Krait

I like that build boss.

It's really funny that you talked about the Corvette as a big version of the Python. That's exactly how I described it to my friends. I'm absolutely loving mine though.

Welcome back to the forums, you were missed.

Boost up that shield thermal resistance, on a PvE workhorse like Corvette that's your bread and butter, and you can pretty easily get away with an Armored PP for a nice cool run. Also if I remember correctly, C3 multicannon is the very slowest to spin up so I avoid that pretty hard.

Unfortunately the C3 is under the belly so it doesn't like up quite as nicely as the other weapons, so by the time it spins up you might not be lined up.

You've only got G2s on the shield boosters so I think you're some kind of maniac. Also turreted cannons. Dispersal field? You dirty bird.

Boost up that shield thermal resistance, on a PvE workhorse like Corvette that's your bread and butter, and you can pretty easily get away with an Armored PP for a nice cool run. Also if I remember correctly, C3 multicannon is the very slowest to spin up so I avoid that pretty hard.

Unfortunately the C3 is under the belly so it doesn't like up quite as nicely as the other weapons, so by the time it spins up you might not be lined up.

You've only got G2s on the shield boosters so I think you're some kind of maniac. Also turreted cannons. Dispersal field? You dirty bird.
Thanks mate, will look into your suggestions. FYI, the reason the SB's are only engineered to G2 is I ran out of one of the mats, they will definitely be upgraded to G5 sooner rather than later. Will do some research on the thermal resistance, never really got into the whole resistance bit so need to learn up on it.

Regarding the C3 hardpoint, yep that doesn't get much use at all. A lot has to do with they way I fly, slightly nose down so any HP on the bottom of any ship will be a problem. This is one of the reasons why I prefer the Mamba over the FdL as well.

As for my two turreted cannons, I like them. They do all but do help with the dispersal field experimental but they make such a delightful noise when firing away. Hey they are my first (and at this stage - ONLY) turrets I have owned and used :D

Again, thanks for taking the time to look over my build, appreciate it !

Thanks mate, will look into your suggestions. FYI, the reason the SB's are only engineered to G2 is I ran out of one of the mats, they will definitely be upgraded to G5 sooner rather than later. Will do some research on the thermal resistance, never really got into the whole resistance bit so need to learn up on it.

Regarding the C3 hardpoint, yep that doesn't get much use at all. A lot has to do with they way I fly, slightly nose down so any HP on the bottom of any ship will be a problem. This is one of the reasons why I prefer the Mamba over the FdL as well.

As for my two turreted cannons, I like them. They do all but do help with the dispersal field experimental but they make such a delightful noise when firing away. Hey they are my first (and at this stage - ONLY) turrets I have owned and used :D

Again, thanks for taking the time to look over my build, appreciate it !
If you don't use the C3 very much, you can get some mileage out of it by setting it up as a turret so it will fire independently, without worrying about mussing up your fire groups.

The turreted cannons didn't make much sense to me at first, but I can see the utility in them with the experimentals. But I would say resistances are super important for your shield, especially Thermal. You want to be around 50%.

In the past, I used my Corvette as my Multi-Crew ship, so I had turrets on everything except the Huge hardpoints, which I kept for myself. And a fighter bay supporting enough ships for everyone, of course. New players were very excited to be there.

Top Bottom