Dilophosaurus size?

You have to remember "size" can mean a lot of things. Dilophosaurus weighed about as much a brown bear, but compared to a brown bear on all fours, a real Dilophosaurus was much longer and a bit taller. The movie depiction of Dilophosaurus is akin to a brown bear's length and height on four legs.

I don't know about you, but the Jurassic World Evolution depiction still looks smaller to me. Not as small as the JPOG's or the original film's, but still smaller than most depictions. Maybe it's just because we haven't seen it properly compared to a human. Jurassic Park's Dilophosaurus is also more slender with a lot less muscle mass than other depictions I've seen and that might be a contributing factor to why I think this.

Collin himself confirmed that games like JPTG and Trespasser are part of the film canon, thus some thing and another maybe disconsidered if necessary. [noob]

Wait, where is this stated? I was under the impression that JPTG wasn't canon.

Last edited:
Wait, where is this stated? I was under the impression that JPTG wasn't canon.
fOLLOW THE PRINT:
27539991_1614992655247608_7677829841609697405_n.jpg

A brown bear has a length of 1.4 to 2.8 m (4 ft 7 in to 9 ft 2 in) .
Anything between that will be the Dilo's size.

Last edited:
Ehhhhhhh soft canon. That doesn't really make JPTG canon, at least not every aspect about it. Especially with Trevorrow's wording, it sounds like a very polite way to say "no, it's not truly canon" without saying it.

I'm also not sure Trevorrow has the ability to make that call on whether or not JPTG is canon, based on his involvement with the franchise and, again, his wording. It would be Universal Pictures's call to make.

I think the Dilo in JWE will be bit bigger than the one we saw in JP. I am not saying it's going to be the it's actual paleontological size but I believe it will be a bit bigger, in height anyway. In the movie it was small compared to Nedry. In real life I believe it was probably 8 to 9 feet tall. In the book it said it picked Nedry up by his head. In the book Nedry was not a skinny guy either. So it's weight must have been pretty substantial as well.

Last edited:
I think the Dilo I JWE will be bit bigger than the one we saw in JP. I am not saying it's going to be the it's actual paleontological size but I believe it will be abut bigger I height anyway. In the movie it was small compared to Nedry. In real life I believe it was probably 8 to 9 feet tall. In the book it said it picked Nedry up by his head. In the book Nedry was not a skinny guy either. So it's weight must have been pretty substantial as well.

Think they speculate it could have weighed between 800 to 1000 pounds

Think they speculate it could have weighed between 800 to 1000 pounds

I saw some pictures on Wikipedia and it showed two species of Dilophosaurus that were just below 6 feet tall. Then I read further on and it said they could be 10 feet tall. So I could see one weight 800-1,000 pounds.

I think the Dilo in JWE will be bit bigger than the one we saw in JP. I am not saying it's going to be the it's actual paleontological size but I believe it will be a bit bigger, inheight anyway. In the movie it was small compared to Nedry. In real life I believe it was probably 8 to 9 feet tall. In the book it said it picked Nedry up by his head. In the book Nedry was not a skinny guy either. So it's weight must have been pretty substantial as well.

Yes, and even in Jurassic World, the holo-dilophosaurus was only slightly smaller than Velociraptor, and based on what the game suggests, this was its adult size, whereas the Jurassic Park dilophosaurus was certainly a juvenile.

In its profile it was said that it would have the size of a "modern black bear"... so, like this:

The species profile compared it to the size of a brown bear actually, and I'm fairly certain it wasn't referring to the height of a brown bear standing on its hind legs, because that's not their usual stance. It also doesn't look that big on the profile. Dilophosaurus in JWE is probably gonna have similar dimensions to this bear here:

main-qimg-0d0e6362784188984c20b46602a83d55

Except, you know, not absolutely gigantic. Dilophosaurus is slender, brown bears are T H I C C.

Last edited:
Considering the animals in the movies were created from incomplete DNA I think there's room for change when you hit 100% DNA, maybe at 100% we could get the option of the Quadrupedal Spinosaurus and a more accurate Dilophosaurus.

Many still belive Spinosaurus was bypedal, and has already debunked the quadrupedal theory, so JP3's version of Spino was actually a bit more accurate then people think. It being bipedal or not does not discount all the other findings tho. It’s not as muscular as its JP counterpart, and it’s arms aren’t as long. It was also not an unstoppable super predator on land, but more like a crocodile it spent most of its time in the water preying on fish.

Essentially it is a much weaker and not as powerful dinosaur as the T Rex.

Last edited:
Not a comment on size, but dilophosaurus centered, so still on topic I think.

It's got knee pads.

I still love it, but dang, it's got knee pads y'all.

Given that the ceratosaurs seem to have been made a lot more realistic in evolution than they were in OG (they were so small in OG), I wouldn't give up all hope that they might have made more accurate dilos, and the holographic one that showed up in JW did seem bigger than the one that got nedry, but even that was still much smaller than the 10ft tall they're supposed to be full grown.

I could only see evolution making them proper size if it goes out of it's way to point out that 'the one in the famous JW visitor center hologram that used to jump scare people was a juvenile' or something to that effect, which would also retcon the one that killed nedry

It'd be pretty sweet if they did that though, a full grown dilo chasing people down and picking them up by their heads would be pretty intense ;)

Back
Top Bottom