Dinosaurs Dinosaur AI Discussion

Feel free to point me to another thread if one already exists but I want to see people's ideas on improving the dino AI. In particular I want to brainstorm how to make individual dinos more unique. As of now we spit out dinos but dont really pay attention to them once they are made. Would be really nice if that rex you spent tons of money on had particular habits and behaviors that made it stand out from another rex. Perhaps it only eats live food, or it prefers to hide in the jungle and rarely shows itself, or maybe it prefers to hunt at night and sleeps mostly during the day. It would make managing dinos more fun as opposed to making an enclosure just fit their needs and then never worry about them again.

unique behaviors idea list:

• preferring live food
  • shyness: prefers to hide in dense forest
  • boldness: will stick close to fence lines if it can see people/other dinos
  • scared of goats
  • alpha: must be top of the pack or herd
  • omega: submissive to other members
  • lazy: spends a lot time sleeping or lounging
  • greedy: eats more food than usual, very territorial when eating and will make sure it gets to eat first
  • wanderer: will wander far from the herd or pack
  • needy: will pick a member to stick close to and will stress if too far. could make this more interesting and make it another species (struthiomimus befriends a triceratops but is moved to different pen so the triceratops breaks out to find its friend)

Feel free to point me to another thread if one already exists but I want to see people's ideas on improving the dino AI. In particular I want to brainstorm how to make individual dinos more unique. As of now we spit out dinos but dont really pay attention to them once they are made. Would be really nice if that rex you spent tons of money on had particular habits and behaviors that made it stand out from another rex. Perhaps it only eats live food, or it prefers to hide in the jungle and rarely shows itself, or maybe it prefers to hunt at night and sleeps mostly during the day. It would make managing dinos more fun as opposed to making an enclosure just fit their needs and then never worry about them again.

• preferring live food
  • scared of goats
  • greedy: eats more food than usual, very territorial when eating and will make sure it gets to eat first
  • needy: will pick a member to stick close to and will stress if too far. could make this more interesting and make it another species (struthiomimus befriends a triceratops but is moved to different pen so the triceratops breaks out to find its friend)

I started one long ago for basic AI, since none existed at launch. Here it is: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-great-post-of-dinosaur-artificial-intelligence.451709/

Now, I'd love to have those also implemented for individual personalities, but I doubt it will come anytime soon with so much work still to be done on dinosaur AI. In fact, I think already implemented behaviours, much welcomed as they have been, need to be further refined and fixed before moving on to the next level (for instance, tweaking where and when dinosaurs sleep since it's utterly illogical, unrealistic and uninmersive to have them sleeping every five minutes over places with any kind of coverage/protection, neither from forest nor from the herd; also, flocking needs to be addressed, as well as the way herbs flee from carnivores... I still see a lot of Gallis running in panic directly to the mouth of a Rex, even if she fails to catch them, also quite unrealistically).

Although there are higher priorities to be worked on in many areas its still an interesting topic I havent really seen anyone delve into. I just want to see what the possibilities are for making dinos unique individuals. I want to grow attached to a prized dino and feel bad when it dies instead of just churning out another one.

For me the A.I of the game is already satisfactory, except for the lack of herd behavior. They say there's already herding in the game, but it's not true. Dinosaurs do not herd as they should, especially Hadrossaurids and Ornitomimides

Terra6790

Banned

• preferring live food
  • scared of goats

just wanna say this is one hell of a relevant and amazing idea and improvement that could really add up to everything already awesome about this game!

Terra6790

Banned
[/QUOTE]

i especially like this idea! imagine the amazing dramatic gorgeous scenes awaiting us intese roleplayers T,.T! even more if you allow humans in the equation too! or just make a new trait : human bonding (follows everywere protects stress when away only one allowed to feed... gosh this would rock my game)

just wanna say this is one hell of a relevant and amazing idea and improvement that could really add up to everything already awesome about this game!

well a lot of people have said in the past that the dinosaurs are boring to watch and dont do anything. something like this would make them more memorable and worth watching. right now JWE is a giant gold fish bowl with different skins for the fish

I would like the dinosaur AI to act more realistic. When I first bred Raptors I thought they were gonna get cleaver and try to escape for no reason other than the fact that Raptors are smart and intelligent creatures.

For me the A.I of the game is already satisfactory

I couldn't disagree more :'(

The whole picture has definitively improved since launch but the overall AI so far implemented is just the basic AI that should have been there from the beginning and it's still far from acceptable because, as you yourself so rightly said, the scarce new AI features are not even reallistic.

I made my points on my dino AI thread and I'm really glad they are finally implementing some forms of AI, but you can't call the current, totally random, sleeping satisfactory, or say the same about the so called herding when herbivores run in different directions and half of them do so straight to the predator's jaws...

I couldn't disagree more :'(

The whole picture has definitively improved since launch but the overall AI so far implemented is just the basic AI that should have been there from the beginning and it's still far from acceptable because, as you yourself so rightly said, the scarce new AI features are not even reallistic.

I made my points on my dino AI thread and I'm really glad they are finally implementing some forms of AI, but you can't call the current, totally random, sleeping satisfactory, or say the same about the so called herding when herbivores run in different directions and half of them do so straight to the predator's jaws...
Well... The A.I could be better, I agree, but looking now at the game, I would say that there are so many things to be improved, just a few. Herding, hunting pack, specific day/night behaviors and more

Hmm maybe I should rename the thread or start a new. The point was to discuss AI in terms of individuals but the heading implies in general. my bad.

Top Bottom